Does Brian Schottenheimer finally get a Whiff for Head Coach?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, it was not too long ago, when Brian Schottenheimer left Jeff Fisher & the St. Louis Rams to join the Georgia Bulldogs as the Offensive Coordinator and most people felt, why would you leave an NFL OC Job for College? It was obvious maybe Fisher & Shotty decided to part ways and all of us, including yours truly rejoiced. In fact, I went on to predict that Schottenheimer would last one year in Athens and it would lead to the dismissal of Mark Richt and well, on that prediction I was 100% correct and Brian had to try and reinvent himself with the Indianpolis Colts from 2016-21017, which I predicted once again would doom Head Coach Chuck Pagano and it did just that.

But something funny happened after the whole Colt staff was dismissed, some how, someway, with that surname Shotty was hired as the Offensive Coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks. I chuckled, took a sip of my fine Colombian Beverage and felt that Pete Carroll had finally blew it, he hired the greatest coach killer of them all in Brian Cornelius Schottenheimer. Surely it would only be a matter of time that the Seahawks would hire a younger Head Coach and Petey would end up talking to himself as to why he hired an OC, who could not get it done under the likes of Rex Ryan, Jeff Fisher, Mark Richt and now himself.

Always felt Schottenheimer never deserved the fast track, hired by Dick Vermeil and the St. Louis Rams in 1997 as an intern/assistant, it seemed he never oversaw an offense that was credible. Yes, under Ryan the Jets experienced post season, but that was more about Sexy Rexy and his defense then the Conservative Schottenheimer and when most of us discovered he was on Fisher's short list, we clamored for Hue Jackson, but what we got was three yards and a bunch of turf for a couple of years and an injured Sam Bradford too.

I truly felt Schottenheimer was done, but that Seahawk offense is doing well and yes it has one of the greatest at Quarterback in Russell Wilson, but the Seahawks have made it work with a cast of running backs that most would not recognize. I look at some openings that might occur next year in Atlanta, Detroit and the New York Jets. That's right the New York Jets, who almost hired Schottenheimer as Head Coach back in 2009, but felt he needed more seasoning. The irony about that was, when the Jets interviewed Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo the reason the interview went south is Spags wanted to hire his own staff especially his own OC in Pat Shurmur, whereas Ryan agreed to keep Shotty on board as OC.

I believe he will get interviews as will others and hopefully somebody hires Chief OC Eric Bieniemy as it's hard to figure out how he's not gotten a gig, but if the Seahawks continue scoring like this and hopefully they won't I believe the masses will be lining up at Brian's door and would not be shocked if he was the next Head Coach of the Detroit Lions because for some reason I believe that football team is just snake-bitten and they will go from a Rocket Scientist to a Schottenheimer and in then the headlines in Detroit can read: "THE BEAT GOES ON."

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I believe he will get interviews as will others and hopefully somebody hires Chief OC Eric Bieniemy as it's hard to figure out how he's not gotten a gig, but if the Seahawks continue scoring like this and hopefully they won't I believe the will be lining up at Brian's door and would not be shocked if he was the next Head Coach of the Detroit Lions because for some reason I believe that football team is just snake-bitten and they will go from a Rocket Scientist to a Schottenheimer and in then the headlines in Detroit can read: "THE BEAT GOES ON."

I also can't believe that Bieniemy hasn't gotten a look. He's been amazing for K.C., and they're lucky to have him. You'd figure that a Super Bowl, an MVP caliber player and other skilled positions on the offense (including the turn-around of Eric Fisher, who was close to bust territory) would get him a HC job.

As for Schotty, nope. If he gets a HC job, it'll prove how flawed some teams are. He'd be like a lesser Linehan.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bienemy should be the hot hire. If Shotty Jr gets a job I hope it’s with a division rival because I can’t see him succeeding. The only thing he has going for him is Wilson.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bienemy should be the hot hire. If Shotty Jr gets a job I hope it’s with a division rival because I can’t see him succeeding. The only thing he has going for him is Wilson.

I agree, but it won't be in the NFC West unless he succeeds Carroll. I could just see the Lions hiring him, granted they would most likely hire a GM first, but Lion fans deserve better.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I also can't believe that Bieniemy hasn't gotten a look. He's been amazing for K.C., and they're lucky to have him. You'd figure that a Super Bowl, an MVP caliber player and other skilled positions on the offense (including the turn-around of Eric Fisher, who was close to bust territory) would get him a HC job.

As for Schotty, nope. If he gets a HC job, it'll prove how flawed some teams are. He'd be like a lesser Linehan.

Eric Bienemy was good friends with a former best friend of mine. Got to meet him once, cool dude. Followed him at Colorado.

He was a BEAST of a running back at Bishop Amat HS.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's be honest, Schotty was easily the best of our Fisher OCs. Yes, that is like being the world's tallest midget, but frankly, I didn't think he was all that awful here. He's clearly nowhere near the play-caller that McVay is, but he struck me as about average. Regardless, I'm happy with the coach we have and harbor no ill will towards Schottenheimer. As for whether he'll make a good HC, you never know. There are some guys who were mediocre coordinators and great HCs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Darren Bevell couldnt get a whiff as a HC after his time in Seattle, I cant see how Schotty would.
Never can say never, the idiot Jets will be firing Gase and who knows? Maybe they go back to the future with Schotty, AFTER Bieniemy is hired elsewhere

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Nepotism at its finest if he gets a HC gig.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the jets will be looking for a hc after this season. he seems like the perfect fit for them with their selection process.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can anyone blame Shotty for leaving Fisher? How would you like to be told, by Fisher, what to run, when to run it, and whatever yo do... don't turn the ball over!!! He was never going to get a shot at a HC job because of Fish, so he took a demotion just to get away from him. He's OK as a coordinator, IMHO. Hard to argue with his success at Seattle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Let's be honest, Schotty was easily the best of our Fisher OCs. Yes, that is like being the world's tallest midget, but frankly, I didn't think he was all that awful here. He's clearly nowhere near the play-caller that McVay is, but he struck me as about average. Regardless, I'm happy with the coach we have and harbor no ill will towards Schottenheimer. As for whether he'll make a good HC, you never know. There are some guys who were mediocre coordinators and great HCs.
For me it's not even about his play calling and gameplanning but moreso his leadership. I'm sure the guy is smart but he strikes me as the type of leader dudes laugh about in their cups.