Does a team have to win to be enjoyable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I'll admit I have a very hard time gleaning positives, separating by degrees or accepting consolation prizes after a loss. Whether losing by 1 or by 40, an L is an L in the standings, and each one is another step back from playoff contention.

I'd say unquestionably winning is what makes football enjoyable. If a team wants to galvanize a fan base, get people talking, show up at the games, set the NFL on notice, they have to win. I don't know how else to do it. Losing football is depressing for the die hards, and it turns the fair weathers off.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Excellent thread topic.

For me? Just seeing the Rams play respectably on both sides of the ball might be enough for this year.

Doing the smart little things. Not beating themselves, you know?

Look, I'll admit that I was spoiled by those Ram teams from the sixties through the eighties.

But now? It just feels good to know that we have a HC that understands O football.

A top drawer DC.

And a great ST coach.

The ingredients for an exciting and successful season are now all in place. Let's enjoy this '17 ride and see how far we can go. I, for one, am looking forward to this season more than any in years.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not only did Fisher's Rams lose too much... they were not much fun to watch. Run first. High percentage passing. Careful with the football. Bend don't break defense. Keep the game close. Etc.

Simply put; Fisher's approach, even when it worked, was... well... boring.

The NFL/Rams are selling entertainment. We watch to have fun. So even when winning... I wonder if the Ram's brass (Kevin D and Kroenke) felt they had a product the fans wanted?

Fast forward to today.

McVay brings the promise of a creative offense. The Rams will score more. Is that enough to make the Rams enjoyable even if they lose?

The short answer is; probably not. Winning trumps all.

Or... maybe not completely?

For me, it comes down to believing in the actions of a team. I can handle second guessing if we should have done this or that (in game decisions)... But I had a really hard time aligning to Fisher's game strategy. I didn't believe in it.

So, under McVay, if the game strategy is something I align with... will I enjoy the team more?

Not sure if this makes any sense? Hopefully I've described it well enough for you to comment.
It makes absolute sense.

One of the greatest Rams games ever played was against Carolina in the playoffs.....and we lost.
THe game was a back and forth shoot out. I was exhausted after watching it. It was intense.
After the loss I was upset for a while, but not as upset as usuall. Even considering the fact it was a playoff game.
Entertainment at its finest.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well, I'll take a tough loss, trying to win over the crap I've been getting for the last 7 years. I will say, Sam Bradfords ROY thing was the most fun I've had in a while...So....Hey, winning will take care of itself if the guys look motivated & well prepared/coached.
Bradfords rookie year gave us hope, but many were still upset with Shurmers dink and dunk game plans.
Including myself.

At the time, I was stoked to think we finally found our qb for the next decade plus.

fearsomefour

Legend
I greatly enjoyed Fishers first year. The team went from being dreadful to being competitive.
I enjoyed the early Warner years in Arizona. His first as a starter, when injured his elbow, before the team made its playoff runs. He was playing at a very high level with almost nothing around him.
Don't need to win to be enjoyable, but, it sure helps

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Watching "good football" is enjoyable; winning is a result of good football. It is a journey to get to being a competitive, then a consistently winning team in the NFL-----and that's where we are now. Along the journey, if we can see our team improving through player development, a staff/organization committed to winning, that is enjoyable. I'll admit that I'm always optimistic before the season and I am even more so this year because of the Head Coach/staff-----they're here to produce a winning program as soon as possible, like now. It's not just winning or losing, it's about how the team performs; losing to a more talented team is a lot different than beating yourself-----poor execution, penalties, inept game planning, and so on.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A high scoring team is entertaining. But if you lose every week by a higher score it loses its luster. I know winning isn't everything but losing sure sucks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is my thinking as well. The only time I enjoy myself during a loss is when we score a lot. The Detroit game and Tampa Bay game(if they lost) were the best games of the season IMO. Just seeing the offense click and put up points was fun to watch. Of course the 9-3 game vs Seattle was also a hoot. Because great defensive games are awesome as well.

you see, i'm the exact opposite. those games irritated the fuck out of me. nothing worse than seeing a d running around like headless chickens not knowing what the fuck they're doing and easy completions to the opposition all day long.

go read some saints fans views and see if they enjoy their exciting football while still finishing 7 and 9.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
I don't think they do, maybe...I don't know. Ok, yes!
giphy.gif

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Without even reading anybody else's opinions on this subject, I can tell you in my life experience;

ABSOLUTELY.

I still get charged up every Sunday watch the pregame shows and when my game is on; head to the bar.
It's the whole experience hanging out with other football fans talking to buddies about football. Have a drink. Sometimes two. :)

The days we win are just a little more special.

I watch every Ram game start to finish win or lose til the clock reaches zeros.

Rams always. Win or lose.

Sometimes I get a couple of drinks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On a micro level, no. Individual games can be fun to watch even if we don't win. On a macro level, yes. This team has to string together a winning season, because it's no longer fun watching them bounced in December.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Sure winning is it but I'd be happy with them being competitive since for years now I either get sad looks or outright laughing when I wear my Rams jersey.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Well I do find it very enjoyable watching the pats get their ass kicked, but regarding the rams, it depends. See, watching them through the 90s, I was always excited and in 1999 when they played the bungles for the dubious distinction of losing the most games over the decade, I didnt feel as good as I thought I would when they won. That's when I started to suspect that I was a closet masochist. Then, when I noticed that the high wasnt as good when warner and company lit up the league in a record season, I started going to MA meetings.

An interesting side note is that outside the first few meetings, there were several people from the SA, sadist anonymous, meeting across the hall. Apparently, they would leave their meeting early to hook up with the rams fans from our meeting so they could get their high talking about how God awful the rams were and how how it was effecting them.

So it all depends on your perspective. I hope this helps.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
On a micro level, no. Individual games can be fun to watch even if we don't win. On a macro level, yes. This team has to string together a winning season, because it's no longer fun watching them bounced in December.

If I could add to your point, I think most of us get excited as each off season draws to a close, even season after season of losing. That excitement just wore off too early under previous regimes.

That 2003 season was awesome. We won, but so many close games. And that Carolina loss... man, Jason Sehorn and Steve Smith will forever be in my dog house. But I got to see a legend in Faulk put the team on his back one last time.

Winning isnt necessary for me to be excited about the horns-- I would say being competitive is-- but it definitely plays a part as to how long into a season that fire keeps burning. I honestly haven't been excited for this team in December since probably 2006.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think as long as we are moving forward and not backwards as a team I'm happy. I guess that's pretty self explanatory

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does a team have to win to be enjoyable?
OfYGY.gif
In bad times, I take enjoyment in individual play..like Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley in his rookie year. Mostly however, winning makes any game enjoyable for me...Enjoying a game plan while losing, is pretty much BS to me right now.....

Zero

Pro Bowler
Not only did Fisher's Rams lose too much... they were not much fun to watch. Run first. High percentage passing. Careful with the football. Bend don't break defense. Keep the game close. Etc.

I had a really hard time aligning to Fisher's game strategy. I didn't believe in it.
To me it's all about the winning.Whether it be ground and pound or a high
flying aerial show.Winning games is entertaining.

Fisher's philosophy is used by some other teams,and is successful at times.
But there are key areas to this type of football that Fisher either ignored or
failed to realize.

Football 101 requires that a ball control team be extremely disciplined and
and execute a smaller playbook to perfection.This doesn't mean that creativity
is thrown out the window,It just means that when the core plays are perfected,
the defense is forced to adjust.This allows your team to be creative with the
counter punches that tend to be the big yard plays.Fisher thinks you
can ride a sled on pavement. Doesn't work.