Dodgers to be Sold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I don't know how much any of you have followed the travesty that is Frank McCourt's ownership of the Dodgers, but Dodger fans everywhere are celebrating.
:woooot: :lull: :woooot: :lull: :woooot: :lull:

For those of you don't know, McCourt and his wife, in 7-1/2 years have:
--bought the Dodgers essentially with zero money down.
--hired a psychic to send positive vibes in the direction of LA--all the way from Boston. :what:
--separated the Dodger assets (stadium, parking lot, team operations), then
--siphoned off millions of dollars from these entities for their own lavish lifestyle.
--Dodger team operations paid rent to the stadium entity.
--put their sons on the payroll, though at the time they were students.
--started a charity that ultimately paid thousands in salaries that were not so charitable.
--hired lawyers like PEZ pellets out of litigation dispensers.
--then the McCourts became truly stupid and got divorced, the announcement upstaging the team as it began the NLCS in 2009. In the process, all the above shenanigans became public record.
--struggling to make payroll this year, they took an advance from FOX, who has the Dodgers TV rights through 2013.
--struck a new 10-year TV deal with FOX that provided a massive up-front payout that would have been used by the McCourts to settle their massive divorce expenses, all the while declaring that this 385 million would not be used for personal expenses.
--after Bud Selig (who had green lighted McCourt's purchase of the Dodgers back in 2004 as a favor to FOX) struck down the FOX TV deal, McCourt dragged the Dodgers into bankruptcy. The irony being that the Dodgers were bankrupt, not the McCourts.

But today, all that is in the past. :lull: I'll worry about the new owner later. From a Dodgers blog site:
Setting Sale: McCourt Surrenders said:
The cloud that's been over the Dodgers was no ordinary cloud. Southern California or not, Dodger fans are used to walking through some rain. But this cloud was toxic. It wasn't that Dodger fans couldn't stay dry – it was that they had trouble breathing.

But now, we can breathe again. Now, we can have normal problems. [hil]Problems like everyone else.[/hil] Will you have ever been so happy just to worry about what happens next with the team?
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/dodger-thoughts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/dodger-thoughts</a>

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Yeah i've been following, I saw that ESPN reported he was close to a deal with MLB where he would agree to sell the Dodgers. If that agreement has been made then that is great news.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Wow. This has just been such a long process. One thing I still dont understand is why doesnt MLB want Mark Cuban to buy a team? Hasnt he tried doing this with multiple teams (including the Dodgers)?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's just say that after McCourt's tenure, Cuban may be too high profile. The Dodgers need an owner to be seen in the stands, and not heard from in the news.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Long time Dodger fan. Any idea who is in the running?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
Long time Dodger fan. Any idea who is in the running?
Me, you, and two billionaire investors. Who you got?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a little early in the process, but here's what the main article listed:
Bidders could include Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks, who was runner-up when the Texas Rangers were auctioned in Bankruptcy Court last year. Chicago White Sox executive Dennis Gilbert, the former player agent who also bid on the Rangers, is expected to assemble a group to bid on the Dodgers.

Southern California businessmen Ron Burkle, Alec Gores and Alan Casden also could be bidders. Burkle and Gores have ties to professional sports and Casden pursued the Dodgers before McCourt bought. Other potential suitors include Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio and Boston Red Sox Chairman Tom Werner, each of whom live in Los Angeles. Former Dodgers stars Steve Garvey and Orel Hershiser also have expressed interest in putting together an investment group to bid on the team.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1102-dodgers-sale-20111102,0,4790881.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-110 ... 0881.story</a>

There's also speculation that Fox and Time Warner may seek ownership to ensure TV rights, though Fox did that once before to the detriment of the Dodgers.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The McCourts are fucking douchebags. Now the Cardinals won't be able to sign Matt Kemp in free agency and trade for Clayton Kershaw because those asshats did the right thing and sold the team. Fuck them!

Seriously, though; I'm glad you guys are going to get stable ownership for once. The Dodgers are a proud franchise, and they deserved more than this over the past few years.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
It's a little early in the process, but here's what the main article listed:
Bidders could include Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks, who was runner-up when the Texas Rangers were auctioned in Bankruptcy Court last year. Chicago White Sox executive Dennis Gilbert, the former player agent who also bid on the Rangers, is expected to assemble a group to bid on the Dodgers.

Southern California businessmen Ron Burkle, Alec Gores and Alan Casden also could be bidders. Burkle and Gores have ties to professional sports and Casden pursued the Dodgers before McCourt bought. Other potential suitors include Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio and Boston Red Sox Chairman Tom Werner, each of whom live in Los Angeles. Former Dodgers stars Steve Garvey and Orel Hershiser also have expressed interest in putting together an investment group to bid on the team.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1102-dodgers-sale-20111102,0,4790881.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-110 ... 0881.story</a>

There's also speculation that Fox and Time Warner may seek ownership to ensure TV rights, though Fox did that once before to the detriment of the Dodgers.

Wow... Garvey and Hershiser seems like an odd pairing. At least they bleed Dodger blue. Apparently Selig is completely against Cuban owning a MLB team anywhere - chinless bastard. I wouldn't mind seeing it because the one thing you can say about Cuban is that he is all about his team. And with all his antics, I still don't think he has done anything to tarnish the rep of the NBA.

It seems to me that it would be a conflict of interest for Fox and Time Warner to own them. And PLEASE no one from Boston - or the Yankees for that matter.