Do you suppose that Analytics is a factor in McVay’s decision to sit starters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It wouldn’t greatly surprise me if there were some actual calculations that have led McVay to this decision.

Looks like the D will have exactly 7 snaps for the entire PS. Other than JB, the O will have none. Gulp!

Then again, the D looked great in those 7 snaps. And reports about the starters on the O in practices have been mostly glowing.

Mr Trendsetter McVay maybe has figured out a better way to prep starters while doing a good job of evaluating candidates further down the roster for the 53.

As an aside, is anybody else warming up to this “new” role for Easley?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay is far from the only coach doing this. It's looking like coaches and front offices have a new idea about how to deal with the CBA and they're also taking advantages of the fact that cutdown day isn't until after the 4th preseason game.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Unless Mcvay was stretching the truth, he had every intention of starting Goff this week. Once he lost another starting OT, he scrapped the plan. There may be some analytics in there, but I think a big part is just the situation with so many older veterans on the OL that he doesn't feel need preseason reps combined with not wanting to expose his QB and RB to a starting defense with second string protection.

Now, if McVay really wanted to be a trendsetter, he would have sent the starting skill position players out for a series to start the second half.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Whether it is analytics or not what is smart about sitting starters (besides injuries) the Rams get a ton of time to really do a deep dive into the backups. I don't think the 2nd/3rd stringers who will make the team have been solidified yet. So with more playing time and no mandatory early cutdown we really get the best chance to look at the team as a whole since we know all the starters.

Other teams have way more holes than we do to fill and they need more first team reps to see who is the eventual starters across the board.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm still concerned about a slow start. But it seemed like he did open up the playbook a little last game. So that was encouraging.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Great to see Easley back on the field. I was at the game and you could tell he was jazzed to be playing. I thought he looked good, not much rust. he played both DE spots and OLB. Going to fit good with Brockers, Suh and Donald. QB's that have to face those four at their best are going to have nightmares. Rams best DL since the days of the "Fearsome Foursome" of Jones. Olsen, Greir, and Lundy.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay is far from the only coach doing this. It's looking like coaches and front offices have a new idea about how to deal with the CBA and they're also taking advantages of the fact that cutdown day isn't until after the 4th preseason game.

McVay isn’t the only coach cutting back, OldSchool, that’s true.

But the drastic degree of cutting back is unprecedented.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great to see Easley back on the field. I was at the game and you could tell he was jazzed to be playing. I thought he looked good, not much rust. he played both DE spots and OLB. Going to fit good with Brockers, Suh and Donald. QB's that have to face those four at their best are going to have nightmares. Rams best DL since the days of the "Fearsome Foursome" of Jones. Olsen, Greir, and Lundy.

Wow, bubba!

That is some strong praise, indeed.

Some of those ‘70’s DL’s weren’t too shabby, either.

Here’s the ‘73 starting DL https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/1973_roster.htm

Youngblood
Brooks
Olsen
Dryer

Hmmmmm...

But I take your point. This ‘18 version should be amazing. They didn’t exactly embarrass themselves vs the Texan starters, huh? Lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm good with him sitting the starters. Sean knows what he's doing. Goff is in year two in this offense with the lion's share of snaps all through camp while installs of the new stuff was done. Offense is going to be fine IMO and it makes sense to not risk Big Whit or Jared, as loss of either means season is over.