Do you remember all of the...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Do you guys remember all of the Chris Long is a bust threads that were so prevelant after his first year and even second? Now we all sit back and laugh at those threads. There are some negative posters on Ramstalk who will still comment that Long wasn't worth "the #2 pick" because he never had 17 sacks or something. To me, Long is one of the best all around DE in the league.

I wonder if the Pead/Quick/Kendricks threads will get the same laughable treatment in a couple of years. Personally, I'm thinking Quick was so raw that he needs another year to truly develop, but Pead and Kendricks will have much better years in 2013. It means, we'll still have to deal with the "Quick is a bust" and "he was the 33rd pick, he should be playing now" crap, but I think eventually even those will stop popping up.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I expect Kendricks to consistently produce like he did last season, with a few 1,000 yard seasons, too.

I also believe that why people said that about Long is that he wasn't Matt Ryan and the inept HC at the time had not shown any ability to develop draft picks. Spags helped greatly in Long's development, IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
brokeu91 said:
Do you guys remember all of the Chris Long is a bust threads that were so prevelant after his first year and even second? Now we all sit back and laugh at those threads. There are some negative posters on Ramstalk who will still comment that Long wasn't worth "the #2 pick" because he never had 17 sacks or something. To me, Long is one of the best all around DE in the league.

I wonder if the Pead/Quick/Kendricks threads will get the same laughable treatment in a couple of years. Personally, I'm thinking Quick was so raw that he needs another year to truly develop, but Pead and Kendricks will have much better years in 2013. It means, we'll still have to deal with the "Quick is a bust" and "he was the 33rd pick, he should be playing now" crap, but I think eventually even those will stop popping up.

I suspect you could be right about Quick. I think we'll see much more from him, but I'm not sure he "breaks out" this year.

I hope he does. Just saying I agree with you on the raw factor.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There's always going to be a whipping boy on the team, doesn't matter who you root for, there's always someone that most of the fans will criticize more. Some will be more deserving of it, some wont be. Dahl was most rans fans whipping boy last year, there's going to be someone else next year... Lets hope it's not anyone major though.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Long, as a leader, this team would be far less focused without him. He is the foundation of "always give 100% for your team" and sets an example every play he is out there. I'm blown away by his leadership skills. The Rams are the reborn Rams with nasty "punch you in the face and take your lunch money" written all over them. Long is amazing and is spreading the winning disease.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
images

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:

Gq3F2_zpsd54fa53d.gif

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
If you're a "fan", you don't criticize any one on your team. Period.

GO RAMS!!!!

jjab360

Legend
rickrawk said:

GO RAMS!!!!
I don't agree with that. I root for every one of our players to succeed, but if someone is stinking it up out there, then I'm going to say something.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
rickrawk said:

GO RAMS!!!!
Disagree what your speaking of is a all in homer fan

Your telling me qb gets sacked 7 times in a game you dont criticize the oline

Or if the qb throws 3 costly picks you dont criticize the qb

Or the rb fumbles 2 what would have possibly been the game winning runs you dont criticize the rb

Fans can and will citicize players and are still justs good a FAN as those that may not, even though I doubt that person truley exists.

Now when someone criticizes a player but does it just to irrate or imflame other fans then they are what you call a troll lol

A55VA6

Legend
jjab360 said:
rickrawk said:

GO RAMS!!!!
I don't agree with that. I root for every one of our players to succeed, but if someone is stinking it up out there, then I'm going to say something.
Agreed.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Rabid Ram said:
rickrawk said:

GO RAMS!!!!

Or the rb fumbles 2 what would have possibly been the game winning runs you dont criticize the rb

Fans can and will citicize players and are still justs good a FAN as those that may not, even though I doubt that person truley exists.

Now when someone criticizes a player but does it just to irrate or imflame other fans then they are what you call a troll lol
On Game Day and the aftermath, I'll criticize. During the week and the build up to the next game, I prefer to stay optimistic.

Shit happens. Players and coaches never intend for things to go bad.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Patience is a virtue...and most people don't have it.

nighttrain

Legend
jjab360 said:
rickrawk said:

GO RAMS!!!!
Nothing will ever equal Justin King in against the Ravens, I hope :pssd:
train

duckhunter

Starter
I have no problem with people honestly criticizing the performance and expectations of our own players. It's called living in reality, seeing things for what they really are, at this moment. It's often areas where our players need big improvement in the next game or for next season. Doesn't mean that a player can't improve or the proverbial lightbulb turning on.

It's easier to discuss performance etc with someone trying to be honest than it is with homers. Homers will argue how great thou art right up to the point the team trades or cuts a guy and then jump on the bandwagon as if they had it right all along.

Often the big disconnects are managing expectations. As an example, most are expecting SB to throw for over 4000 yds this year which is a lofty goal and most are very high on the potential of our WRs, TEs and RBs. Well, how do you divide the yardage and receptions up? Do we really want to set maybe unrealistic expectations for some guys?

Being optimistic and wanting to see all our options get in on the action and have some success, here's my first go.

INDIVIDUAL REC YARDS

Givens 50 800
Austin 75 800
Quick 40 600
Bailey 50 700
Pettus 20 250
Cook 50 800
Kendricks 30 400
Other TEs 15 150
Pead 20 200
Richardson 15 125
Stacy 10 100
Ganaway 5 75

Total Yardage 5000

OOPS, exceeded expectations for SB having only a 4000 yd season by 1000 yds.

Obviously, my initial expectations are not realistic for distributing the ball yet there are some that will say that I unjustly shorted some players here or there. It's partly guesswork and it's partly trying to be fair and hopeful for all our players. I'd like to see Ganaway get his 5 for 75 as much as anyone else because that says he has potential but I'm taking away from others such as Cook who very easily could exceed my expectation for him.

The whole example is kind of like doing a business budget, very hard to predict and be realistic. I haven't even remotely accounted for all the variables such as injuries or trades etc and anyway who wants to account for that. In order to make my expectations realistic and match SBs 4000 yd season, I'll just add a 1000 yd deduction at the end and entitle it 'Adjustments for injury, trades, etc'.

Just some thoughts on the subject. After completing this, I see several adjustments I might make and I'm sure you do also.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Hey duck where ya been lol good post totally agree. I do think cook will quickly assimilate into Bradfords safety net and will prob lead the team in yards and receptions that being said i am a lil bit of a cook fan :) just glad to see he gets a chance to be used properly and show what hes got. Drove me nuts watching tennessee try to use him as a blocker hes decent there but just not his strength

duckhunter

Starter
Thanks. Family eats up a ton of my time right now. All I really have time for is reading.

I'm real optimistic about Austin, Cook, Bailey and Givens during long drives. I can see Pettus and Quick doing yeoman work in the redzone. We can work to the individual strengths of our roster.

We have good depth across the board but the coaching staff has a ton of work getting the best of these guys. As it is every year, they'll be knocking rough edges off and separating the wheat from the chaffe.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
brokeu91 said:
It means, we'll still have to deal with the "Quick is a bust" and "he was the 33rd pick, he should be playing now" crap,

One sure cure... stay away from the PD forum.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Ram Quixote said:
Rabid Ram said:
rickrawk said:

GO RAMS!!!!

On Game Day and the aftermath, I'll criticize. During the week and the build up to the next game, I prefer to stay optimistic.

Shit happens. Players and coaches never intend for things to go bad.
Didn't mean to strike a nerve, but just to clarify what I meant;
first off, if you join us on game day in the chat room, you'll see that I get pissed off when our guys make a boneheaded play, missed assignment, interception, fumble, or whatever. For me, that usually lasts only a few moments and then I'm back to being the total homer that I've been for the last 50 years.
I guess what I meant was when fans carry their criticism over throughout the next week, month, season, and beyond. That is not a fan in my humble opinion.
All in homer... that be me!

GO RAMS!!!!

jap

Legend
There is a difference between constructive and destructive criticism. On some of these sports forums it's usually easy to tell who is indulging in which type. :ww: