Do You Guys Think Shanahan Goes After Cousins This Offseason?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Cousins really good in the McVay system. Maybe we should think about it

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Stafford is a great bridge QB. Problem is they need a kid learning behind him. Take one in this draft that has some upside.

Maybe by next year Bennett is a solid backup for us. Either way though they should draft another one they like and build some fucking competition heat in that room.

Same with TE. Same with RB. Dial up the pressure.
It would be huge, if we could get our next starting QB in next years draft.

Having a stud learn behind Stafford for a couple years would be the best outcome we could hope for.

I just hope they don’t see Bennet as that guy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I guaran-fucking-tee that somehow, Caleb Williams will whine his way to San Fran, after they give up numerous picks to get him.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I guaran-fucking-tee that somehow, Caleb Williams will whine his way to San Fran, after they give up numerous picks to get him.
I hope not - but also it will shorten Williams career by 6-10 years in that scheme

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It would be huge, if we could get our next starting QB in next years draft.

Having a stud learn behind Stafford for a couple years would be the best outcome we could hope for.

I just hope they don’t see Bennet as that guy.
I'd also keep an eye on young QBs that other teams are giving up on, bring one or two of them in for camp and let McVay and his staff mind meld with them to see if maybe one fell through the cracks. Guy I wanted to do that with this year is out of football still I think. But teams take them every year and every year there's a few who fall out, start collecting those types and flip the ones you don't want to keep for mid to late picks after making them look good in this system in preseason.

oldnotdead

Legend
Nah everything points to a QB they have targeted in the coming draft. They kept all their draft picks knowing they would have to trade up to get him. IMO Penix or Nix both look to be fits for McVay's scheme, with Penix more so than Nix.

Caleb could be another Lance in this offense. A half field reader being forced to learn how to read a full field in the NFL. Not a fit. He's more of a fit for AZ. I would hate it if the Seahawks got Penix the Niners got Nix and we got another old and expensive Cousins.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Even with Purdy on the roster? Of course they would have to NOT win the Super Bowl this year for this to be even a question. Shanny has had a stiffy for Kirk for a LONG TIME now. Even going so far as to offer up the 2nd overall pick to Washington for him way back in 2017. Also, I can still see the Vikings and Cousins agreeing before he hits UFA. One thing is certain, Kirk Cousins is about to get paid....a-gain!

I hope your prediction comes true. That the whiners DO NOT win the super bowl this season and get Cousins for 35+ million per season. Then they have to get rid of some defensive players who are highly paid. And then their window of opportunity starts to shrink because of the salary cap.

Cousins would do well in the whiner's system, IMO, because he won't be forced to carry the team on his back.

The bottom line and priority for me is:

#1 The Rams win
#2 The whiners lose.

If the Rams get eliminated, then the whiners losing is my top priority. :)

NYCRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope your prediction comes true. That the whiners DO NOT win the super bowl this season and get Cousins for 35+ million per season. Then they have to get rid of some defensive players who are highly paid. And then their window of opportunity starts to shrink because of the salary cap.

Cousins would do well in the whiner's system, IMO, because he won't be forced to carry the team on his back.

The bottom line and priority for me is:

#1 The Rams win
#2 The whiners lose.

If the Rams get eliminated, then the whiners losing is my top priority. :)
Just to clarify, it wasnt a "prediction" of mine. Just a question.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Maher: Hold my beer.

Our kicker just got cut due to inconsistencies. Cousins goes through the same issues.
Stafford may be the definition of streaky.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
The only way the 49ers stay good for a few more years is with a low QB salary.
Getting Cousins rather than Purdy will mean the loss of 3 quality players.
They could really go all in for one year with Cousins, they would have to win the SB. I just don't see Cousins at Stafford level so big risk.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The only way the 49ers stay good for a few more years is with a low QB salary.
Getting Cousins rather than Purdy will mean the loss of 3 quality players.
They could really go all in for one year with Cousins, they would have to win the SB. I just don't see Cousins at Stafford level so big risk.

In previous threads, I have said that Purdy is a younger version of Garapollo. I could be wrong but so far, it's looking like they are similar.

They both win a lot of games. I'll give rat girl credit for that. But they both throw a lot of short passes. They count on YAC with their plays. Purdy's sample size is small, but both he and Garapollo have trouble playing a full season without injuries. The whiners got to but lost a super bowl in Jimmy's only full healthy season with the whiners. Purdy got injured in the NFCCG and this season is still ongpoing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
QBs who can't win without a run game are a dime a dozen. Purdy is gonna get his run game taken away in the playoffs and he will look mediocre.

I do actually like the kid because he seems like the type who works hard vice Yimmy who fucked off and wouldn't answer his phone and all that. But he is a game manager that requires the run game to give him good windows.