Do we really just need a new OC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
To each his own, however I disagree the common denominator is an offensive philosophy that is failing and that philosophy is brought on by our Head Coach. Sam Bradford and the Vikings will quite possibly make the playoffs. we point our fingers at QB's, OC's and OL play. I grant you that we have not had a season where all of the aforementioned have played great but the poor offensive output is now on the shoulders of the HC and without change we will be without efficient production to win as evidenced over his tenure. Nick Foles like him or not is about to go to the playoffs on his second team along with Bradford and the Vikes both of which are part of my OP

with a healthy Bradford we are 8-2 this year easy. he wasn't healthy with the rams so he doesn't count. foles has played 2 games so far he is not leading them to the playoffs smith was. you can blame fisher all you want that is your opinion and that's fine I just see our QB's throwing int's and making bad throws to wide open WR's every game that's why they don't start for anyone else. I hope and pray Goff ends that and I think he will once he gets some games under his belt.

A55VA6

Legend
Problem is Fisher. The offense he wants to run DOES NOT WORK. It's too predictable. And he WILL ruin Goff if he stays.

That's just my opinion, because no matter what we do our offense stays the same. It's gotta be the system.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Your OC and HC need to share a similar vision for your offense.

Vermeil and Martz did, and that's why it worked.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would have loved to see Turner come to the Rams instead of going to the Vikes. Not sure Shannahan would want to be OC. Last I saw I could have sworn Martz wanted no part of coaching. And I'm pretty sure I saw some people here last year that were pretty happy with the way the offense looked as it was trending up at the end of last year. I don't think Boras has an idea about putting a cohesive game plan together to how to probe a defense and then attack what they are giving. Maybe he will learn, maybe Groh is helping him figure it out, maybe another change with a proven guy could help??

Fisher has tried an air attack with Bradford that failed because they did not have the weapons to get it done. This year with Keenum how many pass attempts per game were they averaging? The ad nauseum Fisher doesn't know how/won't try to XYZ is garbage. Look it up.

This team with a decent QB in this scheme can control clock and win games, it happened with Keenum. With Goff I have faith that after next year this team will be a viable threat. Changing things every half year is not going to make it better. Stay the course and pray for health.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
with a healthy Bradford we are 8-2 this year easy. he wasn't healthy with the rams so he doesn't count. foles has played 2 games so far he is not leading them to the playoffs smith was. you can blame fisher all you want that is your opinion and that's fine I just see our QB's throwing int's and making bad throws to wide open WR's every game that's why they don't start for anyone else. I hope and pray Goff ends that and I think he will once he gets some games under his belt.

This is where I would disagree with you - although not because of Bradford. When Bradford was here under Fisher, he was coached to put a heavy, almost extreme emphasis on safety first. I just see nothing in Fisher's history that would make me believe he'd open things up more for Bradford and let him start winging it like he can. In fact, in 2013 at one point, when they had a little success running the hurry-up, Sam was rebuffed by Fisher when he requested to run it more. Instead, they went back to a run-first, play it safe through the air philosophy and have done that ever since.

Now if you would have said "with a healthy Bradford and a coach that will let him use all of his talents" then I think your 8-2 hypothesis is pretty close to accurate. Could be 7-3 ... but could be 9-1. Definitely wouldn't be 4-6.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Rams won't fire offensive coordinator citing they 'did that last year'

By:
Bryan Kalbrosky | 6 hours ago

The Rams offensive unit is inept, but they’re not considering a change at offensive coordinator. Rob Boras is their third in three seasons.

Los Angeles ranks second-to-last in the NFL in offensive production this season. They also are a bottom-five team in both rushing and passing and have troubled to gain any momentum.

This isn’t a new problem, either. The Rams have ranked as the second-worst offense in the league since 2012 when Jeff Fisher took over as head coach.

So is the problem the offensive coordinator? According to Fisher, it’s safe to say that Rob Boras is expected back next season.

Here’s the full quote from Fisher about Boras after the disappointing loss to the Dolphins (via ESPN):

“No. Not given any consideration. I did that last year. I have confidence in Rob, and the offense has confidence in Rob. The offense, right now, knows that they’re not doing what they should be doing.”

Brian Schottenheimer and Frank Cignetti were both offensive coordinators for the Rams over the last few seasons.

Cignetti was fired with four games left in the season last year. Maybe the problem is not the Rams offensive coordinator — perhaps it’s Jeff Fisher.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-jeff-fisher-rob-boras-offensive-coordinator/

Ram65

Legend
The Rams still lack talent on offense. The offensive line does not control the line of scrimmage, and is undisciplined. Same with the WRs. Tavon Austin has not done much of anything after a promising year last year. Britt has been solid but he needs a top level partner WR to give the Rams a nice one, two punch at WR. Quick has played better but the Rams need a WR that can either blow the top off going deep or with YAC. Unfortunately, Austin has not been the guy.

How much can Jared Goff improve the players around him?
Some early but he can't do it alone.

How much is Fisher holding back the offense?
A lot.

Can Fisher change with a new OC?
NO

Can Les Snead help?
Yes by making better draft picks. Got to fix the offensive line.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I am as critical of Fisher as any member of this board, so I would be thrilled if the Rams went in a new direction completely. However, if you look at the defense with a proven DC in Williams, they rank 6th in the NFL. Special teams are also really strong, so we would all like to retain Fassel. Knowing the Rams are a handful of plays away from 7-3/8-2 perhaps an Offense make-over is the the way to go.

Perhaps a Fisher intervention is the easiest path. For that to work, Fisher would have to hand over they keys and become a game manager, and let his new OC control all aspects of the offense. If memory serves, thats what the Rams did when Vermiel handed over the offense to Martz. Think of how Tomlin was successful in Pittsburgh. He had Arians running the Offense with LeBeu running the defense.

For the last two seasons, Fisher has done it his way on offense, hiring from within and it has been a disaster. He needs help badly and a wise man would recognize, react and adapt rather than dig in and fight.
Exactly what I was thinking. Dick V. Made changes in his staff and beliefs. He was forced to adapt after realizing what he was doing wasn't working.
I'm just not sure Fisher is ready to make those asjustments. Most believe he needs to, though. If he loses this job, I doubt he'd be the hot coaching candidate he was 5 years ago.

Todd59

Rookie
Martz would be great, but Fisher would never allow it. He wants someone he can have his thumb on. That's why it'll probably be another inside hire (if thing were to change, which they won't).