Do We Need Another Rb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I know this sounds odd given how well Zac Stacy played and we still have Cunningham and D Rich as back-ups, but I'm worried that the Rams need to draft another bruising RB. Let's face it, the Rams offense was much better once we converted to a power running game. Stacy filled the role of the power RB very well. Once he got involved in the offense, it really took off. Cunningham wasn't bad in relief but I'm not sure he can carry the load. If Stacy gets hurt and goes on IR (god forbid) then our entire offense could take a huge hit. That's why I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent to draft another power RB

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yes it's still a need, but not that high of a priority anymore.

iced

wonder if pead is gonna end up battling for the #2 spot - he got more playing time late in the year, even got the 2 pt conversion ( i thought that was huge; thats a must have play..shows confidence in him)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Build the O-line to the point that virtually anyone can backup Stacy. That way the only reason Stacy would need to be backed up is because he's exhausted from running so far. On a serious note, though, I think Cunningham and (if they haven't given up on him yet) Pead are more than adequate backups at this point.

Alan

Legend
I'm pretty happy with what we have now. RB is very low on my priority list. Plus I expect Snisher to find some diamonds in the ruff like Cunningham. :D

jap

Legend
I'm pretty happy with what we have now. RB is very low on my priority list. Plus I expect Snisher to find some diamonds in the ruff like Cunningham. :D

Like the Fisher King says, "You can never have enough RB's!"

A55VA6

Legend
I like what we have, but you have to keep your options open at every position. I think if we just say we're not going to look at RB's, we could lose out on a great talent.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Imo no RBs are needed. We have our power/#1 RB in Stacy, our hybrid back with a little speed & power in Cunningham, our pure speed/agility back in DRich, and the back with everything who hasn't developed yet (maybe never) in Pead. That's 4 RBs that all offer a different element to the offense/ST. The only situation I'd add a RB is if an extremely talented RB fell into the mid to late rounds (like Stacy) that our staff liked. But as of today I'd be fine going into week 1 with the RBs we have

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Build the O-line to the point that virtually anyone can backup Stacy. That way the only reason Stacy would need to be backed up is because he's exhausted from running so far. On a serious note, though, I think Cunningham and (if they haven't given up on him yet) Pead are more than adequate backups at this point.

Do you mean when the Ram drafted these OL'ers thru the draft with 1st rd., 2nd rd,& 3rd rds. of the drafts:
OT's like Doug France #1 dc, Jackie Slater #3 dc, Irv Pankey #2dc & OG's Dennish Harrah #1dc, Kent Hill #1 dc ,Tom Newberry #2 draft choice.....all all pros...

It did not matter what Ram runner got the football to run with they ran very well...Wendell Tyler 79 to 81, Dickerson 83 to 86, Charles White 87, Greg Bell 88-89.....all over 1000 yds easy!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Do you mean when the Ram drafted these OL'ers thru the draft with 1 rd., 2 rd,& 3 rd. of the drafts:
OT's like Doug France #1, Jackie Slater #3, Irv Pankey #2 & OG's Dennish Harrah #1, Kent Hill #1,Tom Newberry #2
It did not matter what RB got the fooball to run with they ran very well...Wendell Tyler 79 to 81, Dickerson 83 to 86, Charles White 87, Greg Bell 88-89.....all over 1000 yds easy!
Why yes.

Yes I do.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why yes.

Yes I do.
This is in part why I always go back to the lines in most all my posts...I have seen what works in the past when your OL is strong you can win most of the games..hot or cold does not matter.

I learn from history...this was highly successful through the 70's & 80's when the Rams teams made the OL & DL the main focal points in their drafts...it did not matter who the QB was the RB was the TE was or the WR was.... you plug them in and you just keep on grinding till the end you win! Its not pretty or fancy or flashy highlight tubes but it works!

In the end when the season ends you will look who played in the SB and all will have great lines! last yr was a very good example Ravens & 9ers.

I forgot a few of the 70's RB 's who had back to back to back 1000 yd seasons like Lawrence McCutcheon who began in 1973 74,75,76 & 77 with over 5600 yds in rushing,

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

^ This.

We are fine at RB and particularly if we beef up the line.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/1/5263724/tavon-austin-weight-gain-rams

Wide receiver Tavon Austin told ESPN that he plans to add "a couple more pounds" in the offseason to better prepare himself for the rigors of the NFL entering Year 2.

Just to add some random thoughts here on this X question. We touched on this a week ago but Tavon was listed @ 5-8 176 to 180 on most Ram rosters....I watched the Saints 5-6 190 pound RB Darrin Sproles & WR/RB Dexter McCluster 5-8 170 play yesterday watched Danny Woodhead 5-8 197 pounder earlier today & now I watching the Packers Cobb ...we see many RB's in the playoff that are ....small. Barry Sanders was 5-8 199 pounds when he retired but he was much smaller in college.

Late this past season I was desiring to see TE Jared Cook moved from LOS & used more in the slot & wanted to see Tavon Austin used more in the backfield with Zac Stacy for some outside runs to keep them from stacking up the middle...If as so many of the ROD'mers wanting another playtoy with Sammy Watkins being drafted .....pounds added to Tavon Austin vastly change where he may be used? More like a Sproles model ? You put 10 pounds on Austin he would be Sproles size easy.

So to answer more of X question when you consider what Tavon Austin has said along with some of my thoughts I say NO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Isn't that exactly what Givens did during the last offseason?
How'd that work out for him?

Yep but Givens was a shell of himself last season something was up with him injury wise me thinks ...all season he had a hi cup in his walk & stride & gallop all season it was never brought up but he had something early & it never left. Alan I am not sure what was up with Givens.... was due to the muscle/pounds he added.

Alan

Legend
My eyes aren't good enough to pick that kind of stuff up Bonifay. But I do know that a little extra muscle isn't likely to protect him and a lessening of his elusiveness might actually cause him to get hit more often and more solidly. There's a fine line there I think.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just don't like Richardson and think that position could be upgraded. Gaffney from Stanford would look good in horns

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Do you mean when the Ram drafted these OL'ers thru the draft with 1st rd., 2nd rd,& 3rd rds. of the drafts:
OT's like Doug France #1 dc, Jackie Slater #3 dc, Irv Pankey #2dc & OG's Dennish Harrah #1dc, Kent Hill #1 dc ,Tom Newberry #2 draft choice.....all all pros...

It did not matter what Ram runner got the football to run with they ran very well...Wendell Tyler 79 to 81, Dickerson 83 to 86, Charles White 87, Greg Bell 88-89.....all over 1000 yds easy!
Yes please sir may we have another!!! Give me a boatload of guys like your list!!!!

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know this sounds odd given how well Zac Stacy played and we still have Cunningham and D Rich as back-ups, but I'm worried that the Rams need to draft another bruising RB. Let's face it, the Rams offense was much better once we converted to a power running game. Stacy filled the role of the power RB very well. Once he got involved in the offense, it really took off. Cunningham wasn't bad in relief but I'm not sure he can carry the load. If Stacy gets hurt and goes on IR (god forbid) then our entire offense could take a huge hit. That's why I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent to draft another power RB
Yea, I think we need another guy. Stacy doesn't have a huge resume. I wanna have security. I don't wanna miss on a guy and end up with an Amp Lee. Lol