Do we need a Running Back?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:
Are we ready for some nail biters? :box:
Hells yeah. ANYTHING is better than the savagery that was the 2011 season. :sick:
I know that we are all craving for a winning season, I know that we are all saying that this is Bradford's judgement season, but truth be told, this was a total rebuild starting last year, and Fisher, Demoff, and Snead are not out to build a single winning season. They are all-in for sustainability. We should be happy for that, and a little patient. We are not built to win next year, we are being built to win over the next 5 - 10 years.

Not next year, but the 2014 season and beyond, we will be serious competitors.

Yep. And Stan said it as well. He's not into one hit wonders. His model is to build a franchise that consistently is playing in the post season. And I firmly believe that Football is his golden challis. The Rams will get his attention above all the other teams he owns.

I realize Fish says it wasn't a rebuild. Yeah - maybe there were some nice pieces. But it is not always about JUST turning the roster. We kept many of our key players while Fish and Snead installed a completely new mindset. And Stan hired them to do just that. To me - that says rebuild like nothing else.

And hell yeah I crave a winning season. I think we will have one this year and we will contend for the top of the best division in the NFL.

I am derailing the thread a little here... but I'm not sure our expectation should be set on 2014.

I mean, sure... we continue to add first rounders next year and that increases the odds in 2014... but this team has a solid D. With the moves we've made on O... plus the draft... I'm expecting some big things in 2013.

If it doesn't click in 2013; we'll evaluate why. But I see no reason not to expect more in 2013. This is the NFL.
I think our defense will be better. I think our defense will be one of the better defenses in the NFL, but we will have 2 new starters at safety.

As far as offense goes, it will be hard to maintain continuity with so many changing parts. We will be even younger as a team this year than last year--youngest in the league. With being young, mistakes will be made. We will possibly have 4 different pieces on the offensive line, try to digest that.

We lost our, by far, best receiver, and possibly a HOF RB, who was playing at a high level. You can measure one of our projected starting receivers by snaps played, the other starter by being a rookie last year, albeit a very good rookie with a good ceiling. You can say the same thing with our RB position, our projected starters snaps can be counted with your fingers. We have no idea of the learning curve of the rookies that we will bring in, and be counting on.

Does it sound like I am making excuses? I am stating facts.

I still think that our coaches will game plan to win games, and I like our approach. If our play-makers make plays, and our defense is stellar, who knows.

I don't want to take anyone's hopes, dreams, or expectations away. This is just the way that I see it, and it's not a negative, in fact, I am praising this FO for doing it this way.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
mojorizen7 said:
I think we should look to draft a RB if one falls to us beyond the first 3 rds.

I'm a proponent of RB by commitee btw,which will give defenses something else to gameplan(besides just SJ39 left,SJ39 right,SJ39 dive).

This is an excellent point.....and I'll share a story.

I was at the Washington game a few years back when Jackson went out with an injury. The defense changed and stopped stacking the box immediately. Now a lot of that stacking the box I put on Schurmur's dink and dunk O but on this particular day the defense backed off because they didn't know so much what was coming. They had clearly game planned for a heavy dose of Jackson and when he left the game they went to a more standard defense.

The Rams scored 30 points that day for the first time in a couple of seasons.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
HE WITH HORNS said:
I've been saying this all along, there is a reason they kept Ganaway on the roster all year, even though he didn't play. They were obviously really high on him, and he's got every chance to make the team this year. I wouldn't think RB is that big of a pressing need.
If we take one in the 1st couple rounds, I won't be too happy.

I'm a big fan of Ganaway. I wanted them to draft him (and Fisher said they were going to, until he got picked right before our pick) . If they go RB again in this draft, it could still be good, as RB's are also generally very good ST's players

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but...

Isaiah Pead only had...10 (10!) carries last year. How can a RB (college situation or not) not get more than 10 carries? Daryl Richardson 7th rounder surpassed him, and even his carries diminished as the season went on. It's not like SJack took the rest either; the Rams def. got more pass happy (that's good and bad).

Maybe Terrence Gannaway becomes the next Arian Foster; I doubt it tho.

So yeah, I think RB is a big need. My gut says they will take Eddie Lacy in the 1st, to ensure he doesn't go to another team like Arizona in the 2nd.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Ram said:
Looks like I'm in the minority here, but...

Isaiah Pead only had...10 (10!) carries last year. How can a RB (college situation or not) not get more than 10 carries? Daryl Richardson 7th rounder surpassed him, and even his carries diminished as the season went on. It's not like SJack took the rest either; the Rams def. got more pass happy (that's good and bad).

Maybe Terrence Gannaway becomes the next Arian Foster; I doubt it tho.

So yeah, I think RB is a big need. My gut says they will take Eddie Lacy in the 1st, to ensure he doesn't go to another team like Arizona in the 2nd.

Your concern makes perfect sense.

I'll be surprised if we use a first rounder though. That's a steep price after investing a 2nd on Pead last year.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

F. Mulder

Starter
I think and hope they take a RB but not in the first round. I'd like them to go RB with one who has fallen unexpectedly or a late round "flier" type (ala Richardson from last year (but a bigger back/not a scat back)).

If Pead, Richardson, and Gannaway are the 3 backs then great but if something goes south, especially with Gannaway or an injury, I'd like to have someone who could at least be part of the rotation. I don't think they are looking for a "feature" back however.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
F. Mulder said:
I think and hope they take a RB but not in the first round. I'd like them to go RB with one who has fallen unexpectedly or a late round "flier" type (ala Richardson from last year (but a bigger back/not a scat back)).

If Pead, Richardson, and Gannaway are the 3 backs then great but if something goes south, especially with Gannaway or an injury, I'd like to have someone who could at least be part of the rotation. I don't think they are looking for a "feature" back however.

My eyes right now are on L. Bell- MSU, Franklin - UCLA and Ware - LSU

iced

Snead kept saying they envision Pead to be the every down back..they spent a 2nd round pick on him last year..

I don't see us drafting A running back in the first nor the 2nd... actually i doubt it before the 4th round

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
Snead kept saying they envision Pead to be the every down back..they spent a 2nd round pick on him last year..

I don't see us drafting A running back in the first nor the 2nd... actually i doubt it before the 4th round

Agree.

I also agree with Mulder. We'll draft one... or we've got someone on the UDFA radar.