Do we need a Running Back?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think we should look to draft a RB if one falls to us beyond the first 3 rds.

I'm a proponent of RB by commitee btw,which will give defenses something else to gameplan(besides just SJ39 left,SJ39 right,SJ39 dive).

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I've been saying this all along, there is a reason they kept Ganaway on the roster all year, even though he didn't play. They were obviously really high on him, and he's got every chance to make the team this year. I wouldn't think RB is that big of a pressing need.
If we take one in the 1st couple rounds, I won't be too happy.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
mojorizen7 said:
I think we should look to draft a RB if one falls to us beyond the first 3 rds.

I'm a proponent of RB by commitee btw,which will give defenses something else to gameplan(besides just SJ39 left,SJ39 right,SJ39 dive).

I think you're right the committee approach is going to be a nightmare for defences - Imagine Richardson or Pead and Ganaway lining up in the I formation or even the vintage Wishbone formation with two Pass catching TE's and 3 RBs :) ohh this committee backfield is going to be tasty!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
HE WITH HORNS said:
I've been saying this all along, there is a reason they kept Ganaway on the roster all year, even though he didn't play. They were obviously really high on him, and he's got every chance to make the team this year. I wouldn't think RB is that big of a pressing need.
If we take one in the 1st couple rounds, I won't be too happy.

I always thought there was a reason they signed him from the Jets too (and kept him on) I really think this guy is going to be a big addition in 2013's gameplan - I hope we don't sign a RB this year - after all we signed 2 last Draft - there are other holes to fill this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ScotsRam said:
What am I missing? We need multiple WRs according to most posters because we don't have any experience or enough quality there but we are happy to go with three young RBs who haven't achieved anything yet? If WR needs upgraded (and it clearly does) then the exact same logic dictates that RB does too.

I think with a stout oline (like we have) we will have an effective running game with who we have.

All those years under Shanahan, Denver proved you could have a running game with just about anyone if the oline got the job done.

Now, blocking? That worries me with the young guys.

Back to your question; WR need individual talent to succeed. RB's do too, but if the hole is there all they have to do is run through it! Teach them the blocking schemes. Less depended upon individual talent.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Regardless of what any of us think of our skill positions, the fact is that we are VERY inexperienced, grossly inexperienced. We only have 3 WR's on the roster with a total of 4 years experience between them. We even have less experience at the RB position. The Rams are doing due diligence in looking at all the RB's available in this draft, including evaluating all the top guys.

I wish that we could sign a few free agents, and I guess we might still, but our salary cap nearly empty. It will take a lot of work to generate enough space to even sign our rookie class.

IMO, there's a good chance that we will draft 3 skill position players.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Regardless of what any of us thinks of our skill positions, the fact is that we are VERY inexperienced, grossly inexperienced. We only have 3 WR's on the roster with a total of 4 years experience between them. We even have less experience at the RB position. The Rams are doing due diligence in looking at all the RB's available in this draft, including evaluating all the top guys.

I wish that we could sign a few free agents, and I guess we might still, but our salary cap nearly empty. It will take a lot of work to generate enough space to even sign our rookie class.

IMO, there's a good chance that we will draft 3 skill position players.
Yup, and most likely this will be the Achilles heal of this team (inexperience). The beauty is, there's amazing potential upside and they sure won't be boring. I suspect we'll still struggle a bit with scoring as we did last season, but not to the same degree. This is going to be a tough division and as a result, we'll likely see more than our share of games where the last team with the ball must score to win and that's when the better offenses seem to come through more often than not.

Are we ready for some nail biters? :box:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
Hells yeah. ANYTHING is better than the savagery that was the 2011 season. :sick:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:
Hells yeah. ANYTHING is better than the savagery that was the 2011 season. :sick:
I know that we are all craving for a winning season, I know that we are all saying that this is Bradford's judgement season, but truth be told, this was a total rebuild starting last year, and Fisher, Demoff, and Snead are not out to build a single winning season. They are all-in for sustainability. We should be happy for that, and a little patient. We are not built to win next year, we are being built to win over the next 5 - 10 years.

Not next year, but the 2014 season and beyond, we will be serious competitors.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:
I know that we are all craving for a winning season, I know that we are all saying that this is Bradford's judgement season, but truth be told, this was a total rebuild starting last year, and Fisher, Demoff, and Snead are not out to build a single winning season. They are all-in for sustainability. We should be happy for that, and a little patient. We are not built to win next year, we are being built to win over the next 5 - 10 years.

I couldn't agree more. :clap:...but I think a "winning" season is a distinct possibility this season, albeit a modest one.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ramsince62 said:
DR RAM said:
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:

I couldn't agree more. :clap:...but I think a "winning" season is a distinct possibility this season, albeit a modest one.
Our defense will keep us in games. Our offense will have some big play ability, and if our special teams excel, then we will win some.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:

Yep. And Stan said it as well. He's not into one hit wonders. His model is to build a franchise that consistently is playing in the post season. And I firmly believe that Football is his golden challis. The Rams will get his attention above all the other teams he owns.

I realize Fish says it wasn't a rebuild. Yeah - maybe there were some nice pieces. But it is not always about JUST turning the roster. We kept many of our key players while Fish and Snead installed a completely new mindset. And Stan hired them to do just that. To me - that says rebuild like nothing else.

And hell yeah I crave a winning season. I think we will have one this year and we will contend for the top of the best division in the NFL.

Steven3k

UDFA
Name
Steven
To answer the question honestly, yes. I don't think there is a running back on the roster right now that is a solid starter. However, in the short term, I think our current backs can get the job done by committee.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Regardless of what any of us thinks of our skill positions, the fact is that we are VERY inexperienced, grossly inexperienced.

ramsince62 said:
Yup, and most likely this will be the Achilles heal of this team (inexperience). The beauty is, there's amazing potential upside and they sure won't be boring.

I've always been of the opinion, if you're good enough, you're old enough...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not a first round need. But I'd like to see us go after one in the late rounds...a guy like Zac Stacy or Latavius Murray would please me.

nighttrain

Legend
jrry32 said:
It's not a first round need. But I'd like to see us go after one in the late rounds...a guy like Zac Stacy or Latavius Murray would please me.
Lattimore in the 5th?
train

Steven3k

UDFA
Name
Steven
nighttrain said:
jrry32 said:
Lattimore in the 5th?
train

:plus1:

I'd jump all over Marcus Lattimore in the 5th round.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Steven3k said:
nighttrain said:
jrry32 said:
Lattimore in the 5th?
train

:plus1:

I'd jump all over Marcus Lattimore in the 5th round.

Me too! I think that's where the Rams need to pick up a RB, around the 4th or 5th. But I do think we need another quality back, one with a little beef would be a plus.

And please people, don't put a glass ceiling on this team. The sky's the limit!!!!!!!! Anything is possible!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
shaunpinney said:
DR RAM said:
Regardless of what any of us thinks of our skill positions, the fact is that we are VERY inexperienced, grossly inexperienced.

ramsince62 said:
Yup, and most likely this will be the Achilles heal of this team (inexperience). The beauty is, there's amazing potential upside and they sure won't be boring.

I've always been of the opinion, if you're good enough, you're old enough...
Yeah, but we don't know if we're good enough, do we?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
The Dude said:
ramsince62 said:

Yep. And Stan said it as well. He's not into one hit wonders. His model is to build a franchise that consistently is playing in the post season. And I firmly believe that Football is his golden challis. The Rams will get his attention above all the other teams he owns.

I realize Fish says it wasn't a rebuild. Yeah - maybe there were some nice pieces. But it is not always about JUST turning the roster. We kept many of our key players while Fish and Snead installed a completely new mindset. And Stan hired them to do just that. To me - that says rebuild like nothing else.

And hell yeah I crave a winning season. I think we will have one this year and we will contend for the top of the best division in the NFL.

I am derailing the thread a little here... but I'm not sure our expectation should be set on 2014.

I mean, sure... we continue to add first rounders next year and that increases the odds in 2014... but this team has a solid D. With the moves we've made on O... plus the draft... I'm expecting some big things in 2013.

If it doesn't click in 2013; we'll evaluate why. But I see no reason not to expect more in 2013. This is the NFL.