Do we need a Running Back?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm of the opinion that we don't need a Running Back in this year's draft - we've got 3 guys on the roster that can step up to the plate... What do you guys think???

Isaiah Pead
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-weaknesses-of-2012-nfl-draft-prospect/page/6
STRENGTHS Pead has an initial step comparable to some of the best NFL backs. He hits the hole explosively, which allows him to get upfield and find a seam. He has good vision once he gets through the hole, and displays the lateral agility to make the first defender miss. He can dance around defenders but prefers to cut once and go. His burst, footwork and vision allow him to be a viable pass-catching option out of the backfield.

I've heard that Pead had maturity issues last season, which is why his touches were minimal - he was constantly late to practice and meetings, which did not win him any favours with the coaching staff, but Fisher hasn't lost faith in his second-round pick.
"He'll get his opportunity this year. ... He's got a chance to make a lot of big plays for us."
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1mzVPsRR1U[/youtube]

Daryl Richardson
Richardson is not in the same class as a younger SJ39 or a Trent Richardson. The Rams rookie is more of a singular player, a guy whose athletic ability makes him a solid one-cut runner. He knows how to hit his hole and stay with it, versus someone like SJ in his prime that could freelance his way into a big run. It doesn't make Richardson any less valuable to the Rams, and in fact, they should probably be getting him the ball more.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5Ckwq2N04[/youtube]

Terrence Ganaway
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...engths-and-weaknesses-of-draft-prospects-game
IMO Ganaway has a lot to offer the Rams with his size and speed. 5'11 and 240lbs - what I like about this is his commitment - his background wasn't the easiest... his Combine 40yd speed was a disappointing 4.67, he worked at that and on his pro day improved to a 4.5 guy - that's quicker than SJ and at the same weight, he's 5'11 which makes this guy a pocket freight train with a low centre of gravity. His biggest strength is his ability to run between the tackles, he grinds for yards up the middle, picking up yards after contact, he runs leaning forward, squeezing every inch out of a run - it aint pretty but it's effective!

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ganaway may become one of our most valuable assets in the back field in 2013.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seFuXhPAOR8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO7pobuutNg[/youtube]

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I think we'll probably get another one, but in the late rounds. Not sure we really need one though.

nighttrain

Legend
iBruce said:
I think we'll probably get another one, but in the late rounds. Not sure we really need one though.
i'm thinking UFA, i like what we have. The more i watched tapes of these three the better i likeem. Pead's problem last year was reporting late because his school on quarter system, no OTA's, very litte preseason practice, not to mention SJ on the roster
train

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm thinking YES. I would hope the Rams do not select one in the first two rounds though. I would love to see Montee Ball available in the 3rd or Marcus Lattimore in the 5th or even Rex Burkhead in the 6th or 7th.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
What am I missing? We need multiple WRs according to most posters because we don't have any experience or enough quality there but we are happy to go with three young RBs who haven't achieved anything yet? If WR needs upgraded (and it clearly does) then the exact same logic dictates that RB does too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ScotsRam said:
What am I missing? We need multiple WRs according to most posters because we don't have any experience or enough quality there but we are happy to go with three young RBs who haven't achieved anything yet? If WR needs upgraded (and it clearly does) then the exact same logic dictates that RB does too.
I understand your concerns. I just think that RB is one of the easier positions to fill, and it seems apparent that Snead/Fisher want much more athleticism and speed at the position than they were getting from Jackson. If the blocking scheme and coaching is up to snuff, then this really shouldn't be an issue (IMO).

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The Dude said:
ScotsRam said:
I understand your concerns. I just think that RB is one of the easier positions to fill, and it seems apparent that Snead/Fisher want much more athleticism and speed at the position than they were getting from Jackson. If the blocking scheme and coaching is up to snuff, then this really shouldn't be an issue (IMO).

We are going to SERIOUSLY miss Jacksons blitz pick-up and pass blocking skills.

jap

Legend
I believe Fish has indicated he needs a big back; so we may see at least one taken in the draft.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ScotsRam said:
The Dude said:
ScotsRam said:

I agree. Hopefully, Schotty finds a way to scheme around that.
Or, maybe our little dudes can get some decent coaching.
Jackson, BTW, wasn't always good at that.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The Dude said:
ScotsRam said:
The Dude said:
ScotsRam said:

I agree. Hopefully, Schotty finds a way to scheme around that.
Or, maybe our little dudes can get some decent coaching.
Jackson, BTW, wasn't always good at that.

Yeah that's true but it became a real strength of his these past few seasons. I guess the fact that we are still more than just a couple of draft picks away is the frustrating part- this O looks a lot different if Danny and SJ are still here.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Meh ...

I contend that if your RB's best skill is blocking ,,, then it's time to find a RB whose best skill is running the ball.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Selassie I said:
Meh ...

I contend that if your RB's best skill is blocking ,,, then it's time to find a RB whose best skill is running the ball.

I heard that! It's a nice bonus to have a back that excels at pass-pro but the dude's #1 skill needs to be moving the rock!

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Selassie I said:
Meh ...

I agree with that, but blitz pick-up is an extremely useful skill in this league. You know Sam will be missing SJ the first time our young RBs whiff on a blitzing linebacker... Makes me shudder just thinking about it!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think I missed the Pead bandwagon. I just don't see much. His speed is an asset for sure, but from what I've seen on the field, he lacks the vision to get upfield consistently. Conversely I thought Richardson has this in spades. The three of them do make a complete package, on paper it doesn't look pretty, but on the field it'll be a strength for sure. I think it should shake out in a camp competition really. I know the higher pick was spent on Pead, but as the old adage goes, "Pressure makes diamonds."

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nighttrain said:
iBruce said:
i'm thinking UFA, i like what we have. The more i watched tapes of these three the better i likeem. Pead's problem last year was reporting late because his school on quarter system, no OTA's, very litte preseason practice, not to mention SJ on the roster
train

I'm in the same camp as you, I've been looking at their tapes again and I'm really liking them - not with one feature back, but with the 3 sharing the responsibility.

I know Fisher said they could be "shopping for a big back" but IMO, I don't see the urgency, and if Fisher was looking for a big Vet RB, then why let SJ39 go? It wasn't just the money, it was the fact that SJ39 did not want to share snaps with the younger guys, and Ganaway wouldn't have had a look in with SJ on the roster, but the FO brought him in from the Jets (forward-planning) I think the coaching staff are taking our RB's in a different direction - speed. You've got the athletic fast outside guys (Pead & Richardson) and the 'bull in a china shop' in Ganaway I think we can see these 3 sharing the load effectively.

And I wouldn't be worried about pass-blocking Ganaway isn't afraid of getting involved :)

nighttrain

Legend
shaunpinney said:
nighttrain said:
iBruce said:
train

I'm in the same camp as you, I've been looking at their tapes again and I'm really liking them - not with one feature back, but with the 3 sharing the responsibility.

I know Fisher said they could be "shopping for a big back" but IMO, I don't see the urgency, and if Fisher was looking for a big Vet RB, then why let SJ39 go? It wasn't just the money, it was the fact that SJ39 did not want to share snaps with the younger guys, and Ganaway wouldn't have had a look in with SJ on the roster, but the FO brought him in from the Jets (forward-planning) I think the coaching staff are taking our RB's in a different direction - speed. You've got the athletic fast outside guys (Pead & Richardson) and the 'bull in a china shop' in Ganaway I think we can see these 3 sharing the load effectively.

And I wouldn't be worried about pass-blocking Ganaway isn't afraid of getting involved :)
And if you stick Kendricks at H Back, he's big and tough
train

bluecoconuts

Legend
We could use one, but I'm not high on taking one early. First, I believe Pead and Richardson can do pretty well... Second, it's a lot easier to get very good running backs later in the draft now, so I'm iffy on picking guys really early when we have other probably more pressing needs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here's an intriguing late round option (seventh round) for us to consider:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCW3sKo20rs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcdTOTpdhE[/youtube]

Maysonet is 5'9", 213 lbs. Running style and size reminds me a bit of Ray Rice. Some have compared him to Alfred Morris and Ahmad Bradshaw.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memento said:
Here's an intriguing late round option (seventh round) for us to consider:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCW3sKo20rs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJcdTOTpdhE[/youtube]

Maysonet is 5'9", 213 lbs. Running style and size reminds me a bit of Ray Rice. Some have compared him to Alfred Morris and Ahmad Bradshaw.

He runs hard, he may even be an UFA...