Do the Rams still need help at wide receiver?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
50be605d4488f.preview-620.jpg

BY DON REED
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 0d596.html

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

Rams receivers played a big role in Sunday's victory at Buffalo. But the TV commentators kept saying how the Rams don't have anyone who can beat one-one-one coverage. Does the team finally have enough talent at that position to have a good offense or is it still a big area of concern?

JIM THOMAS:

Make no mistake, the work of the receiver corps was impressive on the final drive. But don't be confused. It was one drive. The Rams still need more playmakers, even if Danny Amendola is on the field, and wide receiver help should still be an offseason priority.

BRYAN BURWELL:

I am puzzled by this receiving corps because they flat out couldn't get open in that first half and seem to do that a lot all season. But I keep waiting for rookie Brian Quick to emerge as that guy who can beat press coverage. Reality, this unit is still very much a work in progress.

JOE STRAUSS:

Obviously it's still a point of concern. Perhaps the Bills adjusted coverage from press to zone, making it much easier for the receivers to find space. Nothing like a couple decent drives against a suspect defense to alter the narrative. The Rams need to upgrade their receiving corps. Isn't that what we were told as Bradford struggled through an abysmal first half. If the Bills don't drop 2 picks on final drive the Water Cooler is a far different place today.

KATHLEEN NELSON:

The question isn't of talent but of consistency. The offense as a whole looked lousy in the first half, but everyone — receivers most noticeably — locked in for the final drive. Wins wouldn't be ugly if the team consistently played at a high level. That's most likely a matter of better concentration and more maturity.

TOM TIMMERMANN:

It seems to me it's still an area of concern, based on the number of times Sam Bradford is forcing the ball into a guy who's well covered. Either he's a quarterback who makes bad decisions or the guys aren't getting open. (Many may choose that first point.) And I don't get the impression the Rams are terribly confident at that position either, other than when they have Amendola healthy. So yes, I think it's an area of concern, but one of several.

JEFF GORDON:

The Rams still have an issue. Amendola is an established threat, but the the team wears him down with heavy useage. He plays so hard he gets hurt. Teams are more aware of Givens now — especially with Amendola out. Gibson is OK fourth guy and Quick is a project. Yes this is still a priority.

DAN O'NEILL:

The Rams still need help at the receiver position, it would seem. On the other hand, quarterback play is part of that. It is hard to believe the Rams have a bunch of receivers who are incapable of getting open. It seems more likely it would be a combination of teams taking away primary receivers and quarterback Sam Bradford not being able to quickly adjust and find secondary receivers.

Part of that has to be a pass-rush issue. More times than not, Bradford does not have a lot of time. And even when he does, he is so accustomed to not having much time that he reacts accordingly. When you see Brandon Gibson make plays like he did late on Sunday, it makes you wonder.

Clearly, Danny Amendola is the team's best receiver and Bradford essentially focuses on him. When Amendola plays, he catches a lot of passes. When you take that focal point away, Bradford seems less in tune with his alternative receivers.

Problem is, Amendola is establishing that he has a hard time staying healthy. So the Rams need to establish something else they can relay on. Brian Quick appears to have all the physical tools necessary to be an impact receiver, but inconsistency has held him back. Others show flashes. Bottom line — it is still an unsettled situation.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
IMO we don't go higher than third round at rec. in the draft,we need Safety play more,if their TE didn't have the day he did, we'd have possibly shut the Bills out.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
HELL YES they need help.

My preference would be FA s. Sam needs someone other than Danny that he can count on consistently.

We will continue to be handcuffed on offense until we add a dependable consistent true threat at WR. An absolute MUST in my eyes.

The young bucks are going to need at least another year to develop.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Selassie I said:
HELL YES they need help.

My preference would be FA s. Sam needs someone other than Danny that he can count on consistently.

We will continue to be handcuffed on offense until we add a dependable consistent true threat at WR. An absolute MUST in my eyes.

Bingo! Wait for another player to develop? I don't think so. Grab the best FA on the market or make a trade, and then call it done. Oh, and don't forget to sign Danny.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Agree with Selassie here. Overall, I like our WRs but we are missing that one guy. And I don't think you find him in next year's draft. A FA like Greg Jennings or Dwayne Bowe would make all the difference in the world. An acquisition like that coupled with another good draft that includes a OLB, S, TE, OT, etc. and you have a contender.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
Agree with Selassie here. Overall, I like our WRs but we are missing that one guy. And I don't think you find him in next year's draft. A FA like Greg Jennings or Dwayne Bowe would make all the difference in the world. An acquisition like that coupled with another good draft that includes a OLB, S, TE, OT, etc. and you have a contender.
I shouldn't have hamstrung myself. If a WR in the draft is better than what you got or what you can get, I guess you have to nab him. I'm just tired of waiting. Part of the problem is that we didn't pick anyone good enough to be a #1. UDFA Danario was our only chance at having one and he fell into our laps, and then onto the field.

And you hit most of our other needs, other than we will probably pick another corner.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I gotta agree that the free agent route may be our best option. We could develop the likes of BQ if we have someone who can already do the job AND can show the kid how to do it. If we go top receiver in the draft, he will likely take a season or two as well. That WA #1 could come into play big time this off season.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:
I shouldn't have hamstrung myself. If a WR in the draft is better than what you got or what you can get, I guess you have to nab him. I'm just tired of waiting. Part of the problem is that we didn't pick anyone good enough to be a #1. UDFA Danario was our only chance at having one and he fell into our laps, and then onto the field.

And you hit most of our other needs, other than we will probably pick another corner.

Agreed, but I'd like to see the Rams make the WR leap of faith in the 2014 draft with USC's Lee. And I hated it when we let Danario go but I understood. 20/20 hindsight sure paints it as the wrong move but what are you going to do?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RamFan503 said:
I gotta agree that the free agent route may be our best option. We could develop the likes of BQ if we have someone who can already do the job AND can show the kid how to do it. If we go top receiver in the draft, he will likely take a season or two as well. That WA #1 could come into play big time this off season.

Yeah, that pick the next two seasons will be huge. Played right, that trade could go down as one of the biggest of all time, especially if the Rams turn into a perennial SB participant. Now, the Redskins need to start cooperating by losing to Cleveland this Sunday!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ramhusker said:
DR RAM said:
Ramhusker said:

Agreed, but I'd like to see the Rams make the WR leap of faith in the 2014 draft with USC's Lee. And I hated it when we let Danario go but I understood. 20/20 hindsight sure paints it as the wrong move but what are you going to do?
I agreed with letting him go too, and I was one of his biggest fans. He didn't practice or play at all in the preseason or training camp. Here's the sucky thing...if our other receivers were better, we may have been able to keep him.

Lee is very good.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I really wish Lloyd wasn't such a McLeghumper. He and Sam could have been a deadly combo if given more time. That said, I hope we target a WR, whether in FA or the draft, that fits THIS system. The less learning the better. Get someone who plugs right in and lets do this thing.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
I really wish Lloyd wasn't such a McLeghumper. He and Sam could have been a deadly combo if given more time. That said, I hope we target a WR, whether in FA or the draft, that fits THIS system. The less learning the better. Get someone who plugs right in and lets do this thing.....
Yeah, he was gonna follow that system around since it was the system that made him. Shame. He was a good one.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It's got to be a FA, we don't have more time to spare on a draft pick, we need someone who can slot right in be that #1 receiver, take the pressure off Amendola and free up some cover for Givens/Quick.

And we can't be holding on to Smith after this year either, I wouldn't have thought? He hasn't added much to the playing field...

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:
IMO we don't go higher than third round at rec. in the draft,we need Safety play more,if their TE didn't have the day he did, we'd have possibly shut the Bills out.

I agree the S, and a few other positions, are needed more than WR but WR is a more premium position.

So we could snag a potential starting safety from the third round but chances are we wont seriously upgrade our current group of WRs with 3rd round pick.

If we draft a WR it needs to be with one of our 2 first round picks. I agree with what seams to be the consensus. Id prefer a FA WR this year, if we can afford it. Im not overly impressed with any of the 1st round prospects this year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Faceplant said:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

IMO, he knew what the system did for HIM and also knew he likely wouldn't be near as effective in another. I suppose that would make it a smart career move for him. By that token, I also have to wonder A) how hard they went after him because they certainly had to be aware of that as well, and B) IF he would have been as effective in Schotty's system.

I don't really know the answer to either of these questions but with what I've been watching this past off season and during the season, I think the FO already has some idea of the direction they will go. Don't expect them to tip their hat though.

I think they are going to go unit heavy though in what they do. They made the moves to create a potentially elite D-line and CB unit. I think they are going to do whatever they can to complete the defense. Then I'm going to guess that they are going to tweak the offense. A FA receiver is certainly not out of that scenario. Maybe a mauler or two on the line.

In any case, I think one of our #1s will be used for a receiver via the draft or FA. After that, I'm thinking S, OL, LB, LB, ???? I don't think they take another CB or down lineman. But WTF do I know. I wanted Suh over Bradford. Now I think Suh has every chance to be a SLIGHTLY smarter Richie Incognito and I think Bradford will develop into something special right in time with the rest of our team and I don't think we get Fisher without him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Selassie I said:
HELL YES they need help.

I'm still working my way through the responses here... But HELL YES I agree with you!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
shaunpinney said:
It's got to be a FA, we don't have more time to spare on a draft pick, we need someone who can slot right in be that #1 receiver, take the pressure off Amendola and free up some cover for Givens/Quick.

And we can't be holding on to Smith after this year either, I wouldn't have thought? He hasn't added much to the playing field...

I much prefer the FA route too. Cut out the development process and get a proven entity.

On top of that; the draft becomes a BPA affair without hesitation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
shaunpinney said:

I much prefer the FA route too. Cut out the development process and get a proven entity.

On top of that; the draft becomes a BPA affair without hesitation.
Yup yup. We need the next Terry Taint too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9WmS9KaJc[/youtube]