Do the Rams really need oline?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams4life

I mean the guys they had performed very well, with most of them returning.

Richardson is a free agent and would not be a big loss imo. That being said guys like wayne hunter and harvey dahl are on the wrong side of 30 and make alot. I wouldn't be surprised if they both got cut, hunter especially.

So if we could count on rok watkins to start at LG, they would only need a RG and RT with shelley smith and barksdale as the backups.

My darkhorse of this group is brandon washington. He left school early last season and was cut by the eagles in preseason. He is a vicious run blocker but needs work on his pass blocking.

Sent from my SCH-I100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There are a couple of schools of thought on that right now.

1. No, they're pretty much set with who they have, minus a RT (and maybe a guard). Earlier in the season they were, as per usual, injured. Wayne Hunter at LT, Quinn Ojinnaka at LG, Robert Turner at center, Harvey Dahl at RG and Barry Richardson at RT. With that group, Bradford was back to hurrying through his progressions, and taking too many hits. During the last few games the O-line was back to normal and Bradford experienced a couple of games with no sacks. How much of that is on him getting better, and how much of that was his O-line being better? Bradford did make some strides in his ability to move around, and step into, the pocket.

2. Yes, we need more OL help. I'm in this camp. Despite how admirable the OL played towards the end of the season when everyone was back, I'm of the opinion that this group tends to get hurt too much and it needs to be infused with some blue chippers for competition, and for depth. Boudreau is clearly a better OL coach than what we've had in the past, as he can get a group to work cohesively when they're all healthy, and he doesn't need premier talent to do it. Now with that said, I'd rather he DID have premier talent to work with. Again, we could be fine if we added another G or T, but I want an impenetrable fortress of beasts on the OL so that Bradford (and the run game) have a very easy job to do. Time in the pocket makes everything so much easier. Receivers can run to the top of their routes, QBs can scan the field and find the open man/weak spot, and defenses are forced to bring more pressure; which in turn leaves less guys in coverage.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

1. No, they're pretty much set with who they have, minus a RT (and maybe a guard). Earlier in the season they were, as per usual, injured. Wayne Hunter at LT, Quinn Ojinnaka at LG, Robert Turner at center, Harvey Dahl at RG and Barry Richardson at RT. With that group, Bradford was back to hurrying through his progressions, and taking too many hits. During the last few games the O-line was back to normal and Bradford experienced a couple of games with no sacks. How much of that is on him getting better, and how much of that was his O-line being better? Bradford did make some strides in his ability to move around, and step into, the pocket.

2. Yes, we need more OL help. I'm in this camp. Despite how admirable the OL played towards the end of the season when everyone was back, I'm of the opinion that this group tends to get hurt too much and it needs to be infused with some blue chippers for competition, and for depth. Boudreau is clearly a better OL coach than what we've had in the past, as he can get a group to work cohesively when they're all healthy, and he doesn't need premier talent to do it. Now with that said, I'd rather he DID have premier talent to work with. Again, we could be fine if we added another G or T, but I want an impenetrable fortress of beasts on the OL so that Bradford (and the run game) have a very easy job to do. Time in the pocket makes everything so much easier. Receivers can run to the top of their routes, QBs can scan the field and find the open man/weak spot, and defenses are forced to bring more pressure; which in turn leaves less guys in coverage.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yes. A new starting OT at the very least, and some more depth at OG is nice as well. I think Rok will be good next year, but I still want to see a new RT.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Definitely a G and OT. I like Dahl but he's getting older (32 in June) and will be coming off a torn biceps. The other guard spot is up in the air. Richardson did an admirable job and wouldn't mind seeing him back but we need to see if we can upgrade there.

I would love to get Warmack in the draft.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
RamFan503 said:
X said:

count me in the number 2 group too

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Well, after re-watching all the games this year, yes. There is no debate, seriously. Every single person but Richardson and only a few backups got injured on the line last year. It wrecked offensive production. Even worse it limited and hurt Bradfords development as a player this year.

Richardson is a FA, and Wayne Hunter isn't coming back because of his salary. Regardless either one isn't the answer at RT. Here's the deal, if they do nothing but fill the hole at RT, which is a possibility. They better hope to Christ that no one gets injured. Like they HAVE THE PAST TWO YEARS, or else we're just throwing another season down the drain, and further diminishing Bradfords career.

They have to correctly evaluate what they have on the line in pre-season too. A Quinn Ojinnaka type player should never ever touch the field in front of Sam again.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't think there's any question about it,,, additions to the OL will have to be made.

Talented O-Linemen are some of the hardest players to come by in the NFL,,, Hell , just finding serviceable O-Linemen can be difficult.

Our line did a commendable job this year. Especially when you think about all of the injuries. But I would certainly like to expect more than just "commendable", and a youth/talent infusion is required in order for that to happen.

I don't think that we have to use either of our 2 first rounders on an O-Lineman, but I wouldn't be shocked if one of them WAS.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
In a word. Yes. For all of the reasons posted above. NO MORE EXCUSES!!! Lets give our QB some time and weapons and see what he has!!!

wolfman84

Rookie
I think the Rams brain trust will set out to correct the most glaring weakness on this team and that's the offensive line. It wasn't just a problem of protecting Bradford but in creating holes for our RBs on the early downs. We don't have the cap space to be overpaying any free agents so that leaves the draft. I would really like to see 2 of our first 3 picks spent on the OL. Nothing else improves this offense more.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Rok started his 1st and only game. There might be something there...maybe. Or they could move him to RG with Warmack/Barrett Jones at LG. That would be cool.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Rams4life said:
I mean the guys they had performed very well, with most of them returning.

Richardson is a free agent and would not be a big loss imo. That being said guys like wayne hunter and harvey dahl are on the wrong side of 30 and make alot. I wouldn't be surprised if they both got cut, hunter especially.

So if we could count on rok watkins to start at LG, they would only need a RG and RT with shelley smith and barksdale as the backups.

My darkhorse of this group is brandon washington. He left school early last season and was cut by the eagles in preseason. He is a vicious run blocker but needs work on his pass blocking.

Sent from my SCH-I100 using Tapatalk 2

I completely agree on Brandon Washington. He's got a ton of talent and untapped potential. I think the impressive part about him is that he really doesn't commit false starts. Joe Barksdale and Ty Nsekhe should compete with each other for the right tackle job; Nsekhe's an absolute freak of nature with his size and athleticism, and Barksdale was really impressive in his limited time. Rokevious Watkins is an even better run-blocker than Washington, but he also needs work in pass protection (although I think that can be improved by dropping excess weight). I wonder if Shelley Smith can play center; he's around the right weight for it, and he's a bit light for guard. Still, I like how effective he is.

My darkhorse is Tim Barnes. Am I a bit biased because he's a Mizzou guy? Maybe. But he's much more athletic and talented than people give him credit for, he can play every position on the line, and he's one of the most cerebral players on our O-line. Barnes is a very technically-sound lineman who excels in pass-protection. With Robert Turner potentially not coming back, I think Barnes is going to be very important down the road.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dahl cut. I'd be shocked if Hunter isn't cut and if Richardson is resigned. We may need a right tackle, and there might be some growing pains in the interior of the line, but I honestly can't recall a time where we've had so many young offensive linemen with potential on the Rams.

So, to be honest, no, I don't think we need O-line as much as what people think. Maybe a bookend to Saffold in the later rounds, but that's really about it.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
brokeu91 said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:

count me in the number 2 group too
Yup, I'm in that #2 camp as well.

Trouble is, finding and filling a high quality OL is almost akin to finding the holy grail...OK, I exaggerate a bit. Anyway, I find it ironic how difficult it can actually be. These guys are almost the equivalent of "hens teeth"....there's never enough of them to go around, they get scooped up in a heart beat and even when you think you've found one, he can turn out to be a bust (Smith). There's definitely some luck involved and sometimes some guy from a smaller school or late bloomer comes out of the woodwork.....where can we find some of those?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd have to argue that finding good OL help isn't that hard, as long as you're taking them early. You'd be more hard pressed to find busts than guys playing well.

I think all guys with the exception of Riley Reiff started and played well this season. Last draft the only two guys not doing well for themselves are Carpenter in Seattle, who was a big reach, and Carimi in Chicago who I think was struggling after his knee injury he suffered in 2011. Sherrod I believe was injured this year. 2010 gave us Trent Williams, Russel Okung, Davis and Iupati in San Fran, Pouncey and Bulaga in GB who is injured I guess.

I'd be so bold as to say that offensive line is the one place you can get the best return on investment if you're going to take a 1st rounder.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I'd have to argue that finding good OL help isn't that hard, as long as you're taking them early.

I was referring more about a "premier" OL, than simply finding good help. There aren't very many premier (starting 5) OL's out there, or am I mistaken?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Young Ram said:
Definitely a G and OT. I like Dahl but he's getting older (32 in June) and will be coming off a torn biceps. The other guard spot is up in the air. Richardson did an admirable job and wouldn't mind seeing him back but we need to see if we can upgrade there.

I would love to get Warmack in the draft.

I'm with you.

I think Richardson deserves a shot to compete here... And he's durable!

Dahl is our most consistent guy and should be back, despite injury.

Saffold, Wells, Dahl that's the only guaranteed guys we have... Which means OT and OG are possibilities via draft IF there are doubts with S Smith, Rok, Barksdale, etc.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Memento said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dahl cut. I'd be shocked if Hunter isn't cut and if Richardson is resigned. We may need a right tackle, and there might be some growing pains in the interior of the line, but I honestly can't recall a time where we've had so many young offensive linemen with potential on the Rams.
This is where I am today. With Boudreau, I don't worry as much as I used to about Olinemen progressing. There are some solid pieces here that were depth in 2012. Since youth is the direction of this organization, there are very few veterans who are safe.

Love Dahl (Harvey), but I could see Snead and Fisher clearing cap room for a position (WR?) they'd prefer to fill in FA. All of which could mean the Rams are going to draft an Olineman or 2. Quite simply, you always want to be building depth on the Oline.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram Quixote said:
Memento said:
This is where I am today. With Boudreau, I don't worry as much as I used to about Olinemen progressing. There are some solid pieces here that were depth in 2012. Since youth is the direction of this organization, there are very few veterans who are safe.

Love Dahl (Harvey), but I could see Snead and Fisher clearing cap room for a position (WR?) they'd prefer to fill in FA. All of which could mean the Rams are going to draft an Olineman or 2. Quite simply, you always want to be building depth on the Oline.

The thought of Dahl getting cut never crossed my mind, until this thread.

So, I'll join Ram Quixote and Memento on the plank. I trust our talent evaluators to decide what to do.

We certainly seem to be stocking up on young developmental guys like never before along the oline. Maybe they have some guys they like?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Dahl was one of the only positive rated linemen for the better half of the year. I doubt they cut him. The line is weak enough.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Sam got sacked in pretty much every game this season, and there were too many false starts and unnecessary holding penalties to be content with what we have right now.