Do the Rams need to invest more in OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Are you satisfied with our OL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manmaderam

The one and only
So I might be the only one here, I don't know, that's why I posted the poll.

After the draft are satisfied with all the OL picked? Do you think the Rams invest more/ Keep looking at Offensive Lineman or do you think were all set for the OL?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You always keep your eyes open for good opportunities. There just aren't many out there. I'm wondering about the health of some of the older guards available - the Rams seemed to have so little interest despite what we fans might have wanted. Makes me think they know things about them not publically available.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven't paid as much attention lately...but wouldn't mind Jason Blaalock, veteran presence..

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
It may just be me, but having one question in the title, then the opposite question in the poll may confuse some.

I voted "yes" but I'm not sure to what :confused:

manmaderam

The one and only
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It may just be me, but having one question in the title, then the opposite question in the poll may confuse some.

Yes you are satisfied with our oline as it is

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I voted no, we don't need to invest more in the offensive line. But then I read it was a different question in the poll. The results are going to be off.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm not satisfied yet but I might be if the new guys all work out, but I'm thinking that they need to bring in at least one more veteran.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hoping for a veteran (good one... not some old, banged up JAG) to get cut in the days ahead.

Were that to happen, I'd feel better.

Right now? Too many ????????????????????s

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
A little late now but signing Iupati would have been a huge help on the PL to go along with the draft picks.

Ram65

Legend

Fooled me as I voted yes but think they should always be looking to improve everywhere. So "No" I'm not satisfied. Things are looking much better but they aren't even in training camp. Iwanted a veteran but I'm not sure now. May be time to let the youngin's fight it out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I voted yes, but how can I tell?

I still woulda took Cann in the 3rd, then Collins....

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
You really can't answer this until we see how our draft pans out. Too early to say. I will say I'm satisfied with the effort they made to address it in the draft. Although I would like another veteran or two going into game 1.

Moostache

Rookie
Until the line comes together, stays healthy for an extended period and shows that they are not going to be racked by injuries and inconsistent play, I will say "yes, they need to invest more". Right now, that would be a veteran Guard and Center. Anything that allows them to get some of the rookies onto the practice squad or buried on the depth chart until they earn a spot.

I understand than Haverstein will be the default starter at RT given the roster and his draft status, but I prefer to see kids beat out the veterans before they get a spot on the field. Too many rookies and young players like Robinson have their learning curve extended by playing, making mistakes and thinking too much instead of reacting. It would be beneficial for them to watch and learn from quality veterans before being thrown into the fire.

I think Robinson's early, uneven play is a good example. He still needs work (which I hope he is dedicating to craft this off-season even if it can't be in drills or at Rams Park). We have potential, but so much of it remains untapped that I don't want to speculate on the O-Line having enough as it sits now.

Barrett Jones and Greg Robinson are crucial. If Barnes is the starting center, it will mean Jones either never got strong enough or never healed enough to play at what he once was - which was the premier college OT and overall OL. And if Robinson is struggling to lock down the LT slot and needs to be kicked inside to be effective, he will likewise have proven incapable of what we hope is his potential. On the flipside, if both of those guys step up and play to what their talents says they can be? Look out! A solid left side of Robinson-Saffold-Jones and a 1-2 punch of Mason-Gurley could make the Rams look a lot like those Seattle teams with Shaun Alexander and there OL combination of Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson and Tolbeck blocking.

The potential to be dominant is there, its up to the coaches to get their best and the players to WANT to be the best. I can't get in their minds, but if the O-line comes to camp flabby and out of shape or even just a little less than top condition, we will see it in camp and pre-season and know we're in for a long haul.

…..

Legend
I'm not really happy with the current state of the line and wished we had some better beef...

However, going and signing additional players at this point would require a change in direction that was set during the draft. If we hire some new big uglies, then we just end up putting some drafted uglies on the practice squad and risk losing them.

So we pretty much need to walk down the path we laid out with the youth.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I think in theory we have invested enough right now (by invest I mean in draft picks and $), though you always look for good values.

That said I am nota fan of how we got here. Instead of investing (draft picks not FA $) over the four years they have been in charge they dabbled in drafting OL and then jumped in fully this year. Not big on going, or having to go, so in in a single year. I think they have spent the right # of picks over the four years, but it should have been better balanced over that time.

As it is we are going to have 1 or 2 years of painful growth, and then if they do pan out we are going to have several come due for FA at once and possibly have to repeat the situation...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
... I'm wondering about the health of some of the older guards available -.... Makes me think they know things about them not publically available.
Haven't paid as much attention lately...but wouldn't mind Jason Blaalock, veteran presence..
On Justin Blalock's case he seems to be taken the path that he will wait until pre season injuries start to mount up & where a team will have a great need for a veteran ex all pro. Blalock is used to a very large payday. I am sure he is hoping for a sure playoff team too. Big But here, Blalock has a worn weak injured back last season & it took its toll on his performance.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On Justin Blalock's case he seems to be taken the path that he will wait until pre season injuries start to mount up & where a team will have a great need for a veteran ex all pro. Blalock is used to a very large payday. I am sure he is hoping for a sure playoff team too. Big But here, Blalock has a worn weak injured back last season & it took its toll on his performance.
No... please God, no.

Not another over 30 (he's 31 now) guy with injury issues that have already manifested themselves in performance.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm satisfied with our line. Do I wish that we had a better option at center? Sure. But nothing's really out there.