Do the Rams have the worst wide receivers in the NFC West?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

[Excluding TE] who has the best wide receivers in the NFC West?

• Arizona Cardinals

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • San Francisco 49ers

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Seattle Seahawks

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • St. Louis Rams

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/7/15/8968339/st-louis-rams-wide-receivers-ranked-worst-nfc-west

Do the St. Louis Rams Have the Worst Wide Receiver Corps In the NFC West?
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_

usa-today-8198810.0.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

We’re smack dab in the middle of the NFL offseason...and that’s the perfect time to determine who’s better at what in football.

The past is in the past. But the future, well that’s in the future. And there’s no better way to determine the future by voting...on the internet.

And so that’s what our good friends over at Revenge of the Birds, SB Nation’s home for the Arizona Cardinals, have been doing. Specifically, for this read, we’ll discuss the wide receivers...a bunch that’s not particularly holding their own on a neighboring NFC West site.
As of 1:30am ET on July 15...

That’s a lot of votes. But it’s not a lot of votes for the Rams. And here’s how they were listed, not ranked, on ROTB's site...

1. Arizona Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, John Brown
2. San Francisco 49ers: Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Jerome Simpson
3. Seattle Seahawks: Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Paul Richardson
4. St. Louis Rams: Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Stedman Bailey

On Tuesday evening, on SiriusXM NFL, Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan weighed in on the matter. After both agreed that the Cardinals narrowly bested the Seahawks for the top spot, there was a toss up about who owned that third position.

Miller leads off, and while stating "this is tough" is interrupted by Kirwan who adamantly says he’ll go first. Miller confesses he’ll go with the Rams, and before he can finish his sentence, Kirwan lets him know he’s going with the 49ers...The addition of Torrey Smith, vertical threat. A better vertical threat than Crabtree was. Boldin's still an amazing athlete....tough guy. Putting Reggie Bush on the team helps. Yeah, Vernon Davis disappeared last year. I’m expecting him to return to some form this year, along with Vance McDonald.

And when I look at the other group in St. Louis...you’re asking me to compare to Tavon Austin...not a big fan. Stedman Bailey...just ok. I like the tight ends. They’re ok. Kenny Britt, we keep talking that he’s someday going to play to his talent...I’ll take a better bet...number three the 49ers. Number four, the Rams.

The Rams finished last in the division in 2014. They’re finishing last in positional polls in the 2015 offseason. And they’re finishing last on Sirius XM radio.

Are the Revenge of the Birds poll responses a true reflection of the caliber of player at the wide receiver position? Did Kirwan get it right? Did Jim Miller?

Where do you, honest fan, rank the Rams’ WR corps heading into 2015?

jjab360

Legend
I definitely wouldn't say the worst, but probably the least experienced or the least productive at this point in time.

I'd give the title of least talented to the Seattle Seahawks, they haven't invested much in that area at all.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
According to the number I can't disagree with them being 4th in the division. But to tell you how bad they were for a few years ago, this is the best group they've had since the Holt days. I'm crossing my fingers Britt can play to his talent. I believe he has the ability to be a pro bowl receiver. But this group hasn't done anything yet, so I gotta agree with the assessment.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The numbers haven't shown yet but I wouldn't trade our WR's for any other group in the division. There all young hungry and extremely talented and I think they will show the world this year with a legit QB throwing them the ball.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ok will will exclude our TE Lance Kendricks & Alex Bayer. Our Receivers of Britt, Cook, Quick, Austin, Bailey & Givens will match up very well against the est of the west. All we need in a passer to ignite the fuse.

This Receiver cadre as a whole has a little bit of everything to offer!

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Rams WR's have had 3 different backup QB's slinging it to them for the last 24 straight games and there was no mention of Quick by them. Looking purely at the statistical production I understand their limited in the box rationale because to date the Rams WR's are still basically unproven but they will surprise this year IMO if Foles can stay upright.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Yeah...no.

If there's one group I'm confident in on O (it's RB, then) it's WR. I'll take 3 number 2s and Austin over a group that has a number one and a bunch of scrubs any day of the week.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think the world opinion of the Rams WR's will change after we Win the SB this year!!:snicker::shades:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Bullshit. Jared Cook absolutely is apart of the receiver corps. You can't just take away the most productive weapon because he doesn't fit with your statistics. The guy is just a bigger receiver. Let's be honest.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I actually think Quick is a "#1" but just don't know whether he'll return from that injury and take up where he left off.

But yeah I agree with the others that have mentioned QB. And I also think the OC change might be an enormous help. This WR corps has loads of potential, they just gotta turn it into some damn production.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The numbers haven't shown yet but I wouldn't trade our WR's for any other group in the division. There all young hungry and extremely talented and I think they will show the world this year with a legit QB throwing them the ball.

Agreed. I'm convinced if last year this group were given to, say, Arians, they'd be lights out and the talk of the NFL. Sure would be nice to see them live up to all our expectations this year!

Big Willie

Starter
People who don't watch our WRs practice and play don't know how talented they really are as players. We do. With the exception of a younger Fitzgerald, there are no elite WRs in the division. He is older and not the same as he was a few years ago. IMO, our WRs are equal to all the others in the division except for Fitz...and he is on the downside. Bad QB, line, and play calling play has not allowed the world to see what they can do.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
bullcrap. Jared Cook absolutely is apart of the receiver corps. You can't just take away the most productive weapon because he doesn't fit with your statistics. The guy is just a bigger receiver. Let's be honest.
Man it is fair to do it that way, I know what you are saying...but I have to assume that they will later do a TE comparison...what do you do then say you counted Cook as WR so rams have no #1 TE? The questions was rank the WR corps not the "Receiver corps" (which could include RB also).

The line is blurring though, will be interesting to see if it goes away in the future, who was it that challenged it in recently since the franchise tag on TE was so much lower at that point-Graham?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Man it is fair to do it that way, I know what you are saying...but I have to assume that they will later do a TE comparison...what do you do then say you counted Cook as WR so rams have no #1 TE? The questions was rank the WR corps not the "Receiver corps" (which could include RB also).

The line is blurring though, will be interesting to see if it goes away in the future, who was it that challenged it in recently since the franchise tag on TE was so much lower at that point-Graham?
I understand what you're saying. I just think TE isn't really a seperate position anymore. Plus with teams using their TEs more, the WRs won't have very good numbers. And yeah, that was Graham.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The author has posed such a flawed premise on multiple levels that it inevitably leads to false conclusions.

Where to even start?

Putting Tavon on the list and omitting Quick was inexplicable. Our preferred starters would be Britt, Quick, and Bailey. And in that order.

Ignoring the crucial factor of having been forced to start backup QB's for the last 25 games having suppressed Ram WR results is ridiculous. Gawd!

Ignoring the results of that pitiful sieve of an OL last year on our WR results is also misleading.

And then there's the Schotty factor. 'Nuff said.

Look, in the real world in which all NFL players actually play, the Ram passing O should be more than adequate this year.

For example, Cook is not a WR, but he will likely once again have most catches, yards, and possibly receiving scores on the entire team.

I predict that Foles' passing will create a "miraculous" improvement in our WR corps.

I predict that Cigs' modifications on O will further enhance the passing effectiveness.

I predict improved pass pro from this year's OL. Duh...

This whole piece was a hopeless apples and oranges comparison from the jump.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Cardinals get the top spot, for sure.

But, yeah... I can't get past how short the field has been these last two seasons with our back up QB's unable to work the ball deep.

I expect a much improved passing game this year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Worst? Wouldn't doubt it. But I don't see the talent gap wide. We have a lot of unproven talent, hope it transitions into wins.

ram007

Starter
The author has posed such a flawed premise on multiple levels that it inevitably leads to false conclusions.

Where to even start?

Putting Tavon on the list and omitting Quick was inexplicable. Our preferred starters would be Britt, Quick, and Bailey. And in that order.

Ignoring the crucial factor of having been forced to start backup QB's for the last 25 games having suppressed Ram WR results is ridiculous. Gawd!

Ignoring the results of that pitiful sieve of an OL last year on our WR results is also misleading.

And then there's the Schotty factor. 'Nuff said.

Look, in the real world in which all NFL players actually play, the Ram passing O should be more than adequate this year.

For example, Cook is not a WR, but he will likely once again have most catches, yards, and possibly receiving scores on the entire team.

I predict that Foles' passing will create a "miraculous" improvement in our WR corps.

I predict that Cigs' modifications on O will further enhance the passing effectiveness.

I predict improved pass pro from this year's OL. Duh...

This whole piece was a hopeless apples and oranges comparison from the jump.

The #8 pick in the draft that cost additional draft pick is not your starting three receivers for Rams. Wow.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Britt, Quick, Tavon should be the listed 3. Bailey might crack that list, but he hasn't yet.

Toss in Cook, and I like the guys catching balls.