Do the players and coaches pay attention ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been to games where a few of the players turned and exchanged words with opposing fans . I'm sure when they hear it from thier home crowd it bothers them . I'm sure Fisher and company will hear a few nasty words this Sunday when they come out of the tunnel .

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I'm sure Fisher and company will hear a few nasty words this Sunday when they come out of the tunnel .

Nice! It's absolutely deserved, and absolutely needed.

Bruce2980

Starter
I'm pretty sure that Fish said that some players were uncomfortable with him on the sideline... not coaches.
I understood the story as "we," as indicated in red below, to include the coaching staff. Butt I tend to read news in "broad" strokes and in between the lines. And when it comes to political news from the "main stream media," I invert, then twist inside out, and then upside down, and then180 degrees out of phase to finally get to the truth. For example, Hillary is leading in every poll, conclusion, Trump is going to win. "You can keep your doctor," conclusion, your going to get screwed and lose your doctor.

"I see a 314 number calling in. So I get on the phone and say hello. He says, 'Hey, Eric, this is Jeff Fisher.' I said, 'How you doing, Jeff?' He said, 'I just wanted to call you. I want to tell you a few things here. I don't have time for this, but I'm going to tell you. You're not going to be talking about the football team, talking about our team, talking about my coaches, expecting to get things from this football team. We're not going to give you anything. We're not going to support you in anything. As long as I'm here as coach, we feel uncomfortable with you coming on the sideline. The players are uncomfortable with that. So as long as I'm head coach here, I'm just going to let you know it's not going to happen."

Source: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...ons-Sideline-Ban-403906746.html#ixzz4S0xptvQo
Follow us: @NBCLA on Twitter | NBCLA on Facebook

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I understood the story as "we," as indicated in red below, to include the coaching staff. Butt I tend to read news in "broad" strokes and in between the lines. And when it comes to political news from the "main stream media," I invert, then twist inside out, and then upside down, and then180 degrees out of phase to finally get to the truth. For example, Hillary is leading in every poll, conclusion, Trump is going to win. "You can keep your doctor," conclusion, your going to get screwed and lose your doctor.

"I see a 314 number calling in. So I get on the phone and say hello. He says, 'Hey, Eric, this is Jeff Fisher.' I said, 'How you doing, Jeff?' He said, 'I just wanted to call you. I want to tell you a few things here. I don't have time for this, but I'm going to tell you. You're not going to be talking about the football team, talking about our team, talking about my coaches, expecting to get things from this football team. We're not going to give you anything. We're not going to support you in anything. As long as I'm here as coach, we feel uncomfortable with you coming on the sideline. The players are uncomfortable with that. So as long as I'm head coach here, I'm just going to let you know it's not going to happen."

Source: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...ons-Sideline-Ban-403906746.html#ixzz4S0xptvQo
Follow us: @NBCLA on Twitter | NBCLA on Facebook

Sounds about right.

So the answer to the OP is YES. Both players and coaches pay attention. That's really no surprise in today's world of social media and news feeds.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The players no doubt pay attention.

Anyone who thinks they are too busy to pay attention has bought into illusion that playing in the the NFL has the same weekly hours commitment as a regular full-time job. It doesn't. Not even close. I guarantee almost all of these guys are NOT studying film 40 h per week. As for working out, stretching, pre-hab, etc... that will take 2-3h per day tops.

And before anyone jumps all over me, during Alec Ogletree's rookie season, a reporter asked him what the biggest difference was in the NFL vs college. His answer? "More free time" because juggling class was no longer an issue.

The coaching staff, on the other hand, might actually be too busy to pay this any mind. But I doubt it given our results this season.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
The players no doubt pay attention.

Anyone who thinks they are too busy to pay attention has bought into illusion that playing in the the NFL has the same weekly hours commitment as a regular full-time job. It doesn't. Not even close. I guarantee almost all of these guys are NOT studying film 40 h per week. As for working out, stretching, pre-hab, etc... that will take 2-3h per day tops.

And before anyone jumps all over me, during Alec Ogletree's rookie season, a reporter asked him what the biggest difference was in the NFL vs college. His answer? "More free time" because juggling class was no longer an issue.

The coaching staff, on the other hand, might actually be too busy to pay this any mind. But I doubt it given our results this season.

Respectfully disagree on your assessment of time spent by players and it being less than a full time job. I'd say on average a player easily spends about 50-60 hours a week on review of the previous game and prep for the following game. This includes at least half the player's "day off" being spent at the facility. Every day is involved in some way, with film review, practice, treatment, weight room, etc., there is no down time during season, except for the bye week. The 50-60 hours doesn't even include time spent at the hotel on Saturday's for home games or all the travel on weekends where there are team meetings and/or walk-thrus.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he'd want to stick with this offense

This offense made him $42m over a 6 year period with no fear of getting fired. There is no incentive for him to change it. Winning doesn't seem to be his goal. What does he get out of it if it's not the money?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Let's change this thought up a little bit then. Do you think SOME players care enough about being 4-8 and on a downward spiral ... enough to think about going to another team as soon as they can?
Donald-- yes.

I could see him wanting to go to Pittsburg Like K. Greene ,Duval Live,Jerome (the bus) Betties.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, I can see AD taking less to be back home playing for the Steelers. Doesn't mean the Rams will give him the chance, but if they let him test FA, he is most likely gone IMO...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Respectfully disagree on your assessment of time spent by players and it being less than a full time job. I'd say on average a player easily spends about 50-60 hours a week on review of the previous game and prep for the following game. This includes at least half the player's "day off" being spent at the facility. Every day is involved in some way, with film review, practice, treatment, weight room, etc., there is no down time during season, except for the bye week. The 50-60 hours doesn't even include time spent at the hotel on Saturday's for home games or all the travel on weekends where there are team meetings and/or walk-thrus.

I can easily see a 50-60 hour week during season. Obviously there is extended time off compared to a normal 9-5 job after the season, but I agree with you anyone who thinks they are putting in a short week isn't thinking this through completely.

Not to mention with technology the guys who are really driven can watch extra tape at home. I remember a little clip about Ray Lewis and he mentioned how much film he watched at home on top of what they put in at the facilities. He said he was always looking for little "tells", he was obsessed with it LOL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Do you guys think they pay attention to what's being said in the papers and social media ?
HELL YEAH. It's called being human. Everyone cares what others thing about them...It was crucial to the survival of the species eons ago. If you didn't care what others think, there's a label for that too, psychopath.

if it was me I wouldn't care one bit what people say most of them don't know crap
Humans care....even if you THINK they don't know what they're talking about. and after watching the game for years, even the casual fan can make sense of most football issues...Things like hustle & effort are hard to hide.
Do you think SOME players care enough about being 4-8 and on a downward spiral
Hell yeah....Remember most pros have been the BEST, been on the BEST TEAMS, and only know success. Most can't handle failure....

There are members of the team... both management and players... who read here. Please keep that in mind while posting. If you wouldn't say it directly to them... then don't post it here.
Good....Keep reading....and I'd say EVERYTHING I SAY IN HERE TO ANYONES FACE...IN FACT, I'D LOVE TO MEET A FEW OF THESE GUYS AROUND TOWN THIS SPRING...IN A MALL...AT THE MOVIES...HELL, IN A LOCAL BAR...ESPECIALLY THE COACHES.
oh, for reference, I was the guy that snuck tequila into a practice in a water bottle and yelled at Goff to look to the other side of the field while throwing (staring down targets in practice, Weinke/Boras/Groh/Fisher say NOTHING to the young man) ...the guy that when I touched the gate while leaning over to take a phone pic was constantly asked to NOT stand in one spot & to keep moving.
I get some of you are like Rams agents....& you wanna stifle the exchange of information...contort it...confuse it...but people SEE the product...and they/we/ME wanna know what the hell he's gonna do to fix it....Almost feels like Georgia Frontierre 25 years later...

And this message is for the guy I figure does read this....Eric Dickerson....lol...naw it's for Kevin D....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
HELL YEAH. It's called being human. Everyone cares what others thing about them...It was crucial to the survival of the species eons ago. If you didn't care what others think, there's a label for that too, psychopath.

Humans care....even if you THINK they don't know what they're talking about. and after watching the game for years, even the casual fan can make sense of most football issues...Things like hustle & effort are hard to hide.
Hell yeah....Remember most pros have been the BEST, been on the BEST TEAMS, and only know success. Most can't handle failure....

Good....Keep reading....and I'd say EVERYTHING I SAY IN HERE TO ANYONES FACE...IN FACT, I'D LOVE TO MEET A FEW OF THESE GUYS AROUND TOWN THIS SPRING...IN A MALL...AT THE MOVIES...HELL, IN A LOCAL BAR...ESPECIALLY THE COACHES.
oh, for reference, I was the guy that snuck tequila into a practice in a water bottle and yelled at Goff to look to the other side of the field while throwing (staring down targets in practice, Weinke/Boras/Groh/Fisher say NOTHING to the young man) ...the guy that when I touched the gate while leaning over to take a phone pic was constantly asked to NOT stand in one spot & to keep moving.
I get some of you are like Rams agents....& you wanna stifle the exchange of information...contort it...confuse it...but people SEE the product...and they/we/ME wanna know what the hell he's gonna do to fix it....Almost feels like Georgia Frontierre 25 years later...

And this message is for the guy I figure does read this....Eric Dickerson....lol...naw it's for Kevin D....

1st... This site is not here to "stifle the exchange of information... contort it...and confuse it". And I can assure you that nobody who is involved with it's operation or moderation would do any of that. Period.

Now... as far as screaming at Goff across the field from behind a fence after downing some tequila... we say and do things much differently at times like those. My point was to try and use the same respect you'd give any man when you were standing face to face with him and talking. Being a fanatic from the stands is much different than having a conversation with a man one on one. Tequila could mix that up a little though LOL.

Again... no information is ever squashed here... it's quite the opposite. We do like to treat the Ram Staff and Players with respect though.... the same respect you'd show them when you'd get the opportunity to speak man to man with any of them. We could all ask them difficult questions I'm sure, but some of the posts and comments coming out from members lately (not you necessarily btw) directed at current Ram players and Staff simply wouldn't ever cross the lips of those members if they were face to face with that Ram. Well, maybe if tequila was involved... but that wouldn't end very well. LOL

Hopefully that better explains my previous post.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

And i respectfully disagree with you, Players have time to tweet, post to FB and go out and party at clubs. They have time to read the sports news or local forums. I work 60 hours a week and i make time to post on these forums. What makes you think they don't take time out of their days to do the same?
Also, a lot of these players at the skill positions are ego maniacs and can't stand it when people think they stink etc etc. Take a look at JJ's twitter feed, or Chris Longs. There are really too many examples to choose from.

Here's an interesting article on what the average day of a football player consist of.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/a-week-in-the-life-of-the-nfl-1.9218497

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
directed at current Ram players and Staff simply wouldn't ever cross the lips of those members if they were face to face with that Ram. Well, maybe if tequila was involved... but that wouldn't end very well. LOL
Too funny....and I agree....I also wasn't directing this rant to the staff, but some of the people that continually down any suggestions of what can fix the org. In fact, I had to look closely at your avi to realize YOU'RE a mod too....LOLOLOL.

And no ones going up to these guys and berating them....But I'm curious what younger fans...the 8,9, 10, 11, and 12 year olds would say to their stars...hero's of their local team...kids have a way with words.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
And i respectfully disagree with you, Players have time to tweet, post to FB and go out and party at clubs. They have time to read the sports news or local forums. I work 60 hours a week and i make time to post on these forums. What makes you think they don't take time out of their days to do the same?
Also, a lot of these players at the skill positions are ego maniacs and can't stand it when people think they stink etc etc. Take a look at JJ's twitter feed, or Chris Longs. There are really too many examples to choose from.

Here's an interesting article on what the average day of a football player consist of.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/a-week-in-the-life-of-the-nfl-1.9218497

Not sure what you're disagreeing with me about, you basically confirmed with your article everything I said. My post was disagreeing with the notion that players have less than a full time job. :confused:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Not sure what you're disagreeing with me about, you basically confirmed with your article everything I said. My post was disagreeing with the notion that players have less than a full time job. :confused:

Point is they have a ton of downtime in between meetings and they aren't always included in those meetings IE coaches meetings, different walk thru's with different disciplines etc.
They basically work from 6am to 4pm. With breaks throughout the day. Pretty normal workday, only difference is they play a game on Sunday.

Conclusion if they're on social media they're reading about themselves or their team.