Do/Should the Rams cut Bradford? (cap question)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Do any capologists know the cap ramifications of cutting Sam Bradford now?

This was probably asked prior to the draft, but I don't know.

Does it make sense to just IR him (in which is salary COUNTS against the cap) or does it make sense to cut him?

Big Willie

Starter
I think that if they cut him now, the remaining balance of his pro-rated bonus gets accelerated to this year. That means an additional $3.6 million (currently applied to the 2015 salary cap) would be added to our cap number in 2014 (which we don't have). I think the only way it could work is to negotiate an injury settlement to reduce his 2014 salary (which I am not recommending).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do any capologists know the cap ramifications of cutting Sam Bradford now?

This was probably asked prior to the draft, but I don't know.

Does it make sense to just IR him (in which is salary COUNTS against the cap) or does it make sense to cut him?

I don't know what they'd have to pay him in terms of injury settlement. It also depends on whether they want to cut him.

Ultimately, they've already budgeted for his contact so unless they have to cut him because they're trading for a QB with a similarly sized contract, I doubt they will.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

scifiman

I think the rams management has to look at as a business decision and not get emotional. This year is done and then you have his salary next year too and no guarantee that he would stay healthy then either. The rams can save a lot of money on the position and be in a better position next year for a free agent qb if they cant get one in the draft. Either way they have to look at Bradfords whole career and see that he is a major liability for the most important position on your team. If he cant stay healthy it does not matter how much talent he has. Cut him now and be done with it. The team needs to rally around a new leader now and move on.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the Rams could potentially make some room for a few expensive mid-level cuts that are really more about cap savings than ability that without a cap a team would never let go.

Having cap room is NEVER a bad thing...

duckhunter

Starter
I believe whatever cap space isn't used this year may be used next year. Or sign someone at the end of year and put this years's cap money against the contract.

Tough decisions no doubt. No big rush.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think you have to cut him. Your window closes pretty damn fast in the NFL and the Rams can't put their future on hold waiting for a guy that has an absentee rate over 40%. The NFL is a brutal way to make a living and Sam just didn't have the body to withstand the punishment. It's a shame because he definitely had the talent. You got to know his heart is broken today.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Go take a look at the free agent QB list for 2015. It's a who's who list of crap.

Snead and his scouts need to get to work right away.