Discuss: Weakest areas on the team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
HitStick said:
I was looking at this roster and on paper, the Rams look damn good. With that said, there are some areas of concern.

RB: Richardson/Pead/Stacy/Ganaway. I don't like the committee approach. I like having a #1 back and maybe a change of pace back. Having so many backs can ruin the 'sync' of the offense.

While I respect your preferring to have a #1 RB, in this case, it doesn't make it an "area of concern". There isn't any one RB on this roster who is just that much better than the rest, and IMO, they have to perfect mix of speed, quickness, elusiveness, size, the ability to be a threat in the passing game, average to better than average pass blocking, etc. It's just NOT to be found IN ONE GUY. This group will be much better than most think. And while agree trying to force the issue and share carries can be disruptive at times, what I envision, is being able to "ride the hot hand" in a particular game. But that might be someone different from game to game.

FB: Do we have one? I know Kendricks will line up there but what about when you have two TE sets and need a FB? The combo of Cook and Kendricks can be as good as Gronk and Hernandez were. Don't sacrifice having those two ready to catch passes. Get a FB.

Kendricks AND Harkey (who is getting most of the reps while Kendricks remains on the PUP list) are both more than capable of handing these duties. They have actually worked on "22" personnel packages, meaning they have 2 TE's along with 2 RB (including a FB) so they can be very flexible and diverse in how they want to attack certain situations. IMO, this is the LEAST of all of your concerns. I can see them being very dangerous with a formation that includes Harkey and Cook at the LOS, and Kendricks lined up at FB. Harkey actually catches the ball very well, and could be a threat in the passing game in these situations.

WR: I am not worried about Givens or Austin. I'm worried about Pettis being ahead of Quick. Pettis is a great 4th WR. Maybe perfect in the Prohl role. He was studly on short yardage and redzone. Keep it at that. We need Quick to step up. He is sounding like he is catching on but there is only a month to go. Fix the drops.

First of all, if there was ever a year where the "starters" won't make one bit of difference in terms of overall snaps, thinking Quick needs to unseat Pettis is meaningless to me. As much as they continue to talk about the "RB by committee" approach, I think the WR positions will be every bit "by committee" this year. While you may dwell on "the drops" by Quick, to me, the thing to focus on, is he is getting targeted as much if not more than any other WR on the field right now. Which tells me 2 things. He is getting open, and more importantly, is getting where he needs to be when he needs to be there. Those two things will go a whole lot further in getting him on the field on Sundays, than an occasional drop.

Safety: McDonald is sounding like a good pick. Can Stewart move past missing tackles?

Keep a watchful eye on Cody Davis. He seems to have made his way up the Depth Chart to taking all of his reps with the 2nd unit. And while he might not be the "knockout artist" that Stewart likes to be, the one thing about Davis' game, is his ability to TACKLE. He gets guys to the ground.

While Stewart hasn't done anything to "lose" his job thus far, he hasn't flashed any signs of being all that much better than he was before. Lets see how things play out in the Preseason GAMES, when they actually have to tackle.

Well, that was a short list.

IMO we really need one of the running backs to 'run' away with the starting job.

We need Quick to 'catch' on. (okay, enough being punny)

We need a damn fullback.

And we need a legit deep safety who doesn't HAVE to make the big hit over the pass breakup.

In the end, I made this list to help myself put together a 'prospects to watch list' for the college football season to help my skillful mock drafts but as it sits today, I get to just sit and enjoy some college ball.

What do you think? Are there any positions that worry you?

nighttrain

Legend
fearsomefour said:
Overall lack of depth, youth at WR, RB and S....these are the main reasons I think the Rams hover around .500 this year and make a major move next year. I could certainly be wrong if the Oline stays healthy and the young guys pick stuff up quickly.
As for RB I think a number one guy will emerge over time. Its not going to be a mix where four guys get 25% of the touches. Maybe 50%, 30%, 10%, 10%. Not so worried about LG as a stand alone. Either Williams or Smith can be solid. However, if Saffold gets hurt and Wells misses time AND LG struggles....now we have issues. But, depth in the NFL is not what it used to be. QB depth is dismal, as it is for most teams. We have one vet who doesnt seem to ever improve and a young guy whos only benefit so far has been an ability to escape the rush in preseason games.
youth at RB should not be a problem, RB's have it, or they dont. Look at the Skins and other rookie RB's that have hit the scene running.
Safety and overall depth are problems, but you cold say SF in a similar situation, they lost some good players to FA
train

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Memento said:
My main concern is the interior and depth of the offensive line. Can Wells stay healthy? Can Dahl bounce back from his injury and the bad year he had? Williams and Smith inspire very little confidence in me at left guard. Barksdale's decent, but Jones isn't ready, Washington looks iffy, Nsekhe looks raw, and Barnes is adequate at best.

Defensive tackle depth is the other concern of mine. Cudjo is having more back issues, Conrath hasn't done much in his pro career, and we've got nothing except undrafted rookies behind them. We better hope that Brockers and Langford stay healthy the entire year.

From my observations from Training camp, the Offensive Line is much "deeper" than it has been in years. There doesn't appear to be any issues among Dahl, Long, Saffold or even Wells regarding their respective injuries having any lingering effects.

Joe Barksdale really looks like a very good swing Tackle, and if Ty Nsekhe is your FOURTH Tackle, he will be just fine. Tim Barnes has made the most noticeable improvement of any of the "depth" guys. He is physically stronger, bigger, and unlike last year, just looks like an NFL lineman now. He is getting plenty of reps, while they seem to be limiting Wells, as they are with J. Long. Barksdale takes his turn with the 1st unit at OLT in these instances.

As far as Conrath providing depth at DT, he looks much bigger this year, and from what I can tell, the Coaches REALLY like what he brings to the rotation. Listed at 6'7 295 this year, he obviously put in the work in the weight room, and it has shown with his "push" so far in camp. They like his size and length, especially in passing situations, as he bats down more passes than anyone else on the interior defensive line. I do agree that it doesn't appear that Cudjo is close to a return, so beyond Conrath, they are thin. Look for Sims and Hayes to get their share of reps inside.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
OLine health,continuity and durability is my #1 concern.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
F. Mulder said:
4th LBer

Safety

This is mine.

Strangely... depth at LB is starting to surpass my concern at safety.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram vacillating:

I thought you were one of the Witherspoon supporters? Wouldn't Hull and Witherspoon be good depth?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram vacillating:

I thought you were one of the Witherspoon supporters? Wouldn't Hull and Witherspoon be good depth?

Good challenge there albe.

I think I should clarify: after JL, Ogletree, and Dunbar I believe it drops off pretty hard to the point we might survive a week or two... but not an extended injury to the big three.

I am more excited about Armstrong and Sammy Brown... or I should say I hope like hell one or both of these guys shine in preseason because we know what Hull and Spoon bring.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram with bizarre views:
I think I should clarify: after JL, Ogletree, and Dunbar I believe it drops off pretty hard to the point we might survive a week or two... but not an extended injury to the big three.

I am more excited about Armstrong and Sammy Brown... or I should say I hope like hell one or both of these guys shine in preseason because we know what Hull and Spoon bring.

That's exactly how I view the situation. :shock:
Scary isn't it? :lol:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram with bizarre views:

That's exactly how I view the situation. :shock:
Scary isn't it? :lol:

Lol.

I think, potentially, Spoon is very solid depth. I'm not a Hull fan... Not a hater... just saying we need more to be a serious team.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm worried about the new RB's ability to pick up blitz's. All it will take is one failure and Bradford's season could be over. Richardson and Pead haven't been very impressive so far.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bubbaramfan said:
I'm worried about the new RB's ability to pick up blitz's. All it will take is one failure and Bradford's season could be over. Richardson and Pead haven't been very impressive so far.

Damn good point bubba. They can run... but can they block? Ball security the next question in my book.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram vacillating:

Sammy Brown doesn't appear close to returning from a calf injury. And it's been reported that they have switched him to DE.

Armstrong is undersized. His biggest contribution will be on Special Teams. Two other guys to keep a watchful eye on are Jonathan Stewart and Jabara Williams.

Stewart sure passes the look test as to what a LB should be. He has been included in most of the Special Teams. At least on the 2 deep depth chart on ST's.

Jabara Williams was getting all the reps with the 2nd unit defense before going out with his injury. Williams was also a core Special Teams guy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram vacillating:

Sammy Brown doesn't appear close to returning from a calf injury. And it's been reported that they have switched him to DE.

Armstrong is undersized. His biggest contribution will be on Special Teams. Two other guys to keep a watchful eye on are Jonathan Stewart and Jabara Williams.

Stewart sure passes the look test as to what a LB should be. He has been included in most of the Special Teams. At least on the 2 deep depth chart on ST's.

Jabara Williams was getting all the reps with the 2nd unit defense before going out with his injury. Williams was also a core Special Teams guy.

Thanks for the comments, coach.

You just made me more worried! :lmao:

How is our depth at LB based on your early observations?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
bubbaramfan said:

Damn good point bubba. They can run... but can they block? Ball security the next question in my book.

One observation regarding the blitz pickup drills so far. Especially Tom the scrimmage at the dome on Saturday. Isaiah Pead was the best RB in the blitz pickup drill. He blocked as if he was possessed.

HS biggest issue in the past was lunging at his target as opposed to breaking down and stepping into the oncoming rusher. He looks to have improved dramatically so far.

Richardson still gets overmatched physically. Stacy has been inconsistent. Maybe the two guys who have been the most consistent in the drills this far have been Ganaway and Cunningham.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:
b]CGI_Ram vacillating:[/b]

Thanks for the comments, coach.

You just made me more worried! :lmao:

How is our depth at LB based on your early observations?

When you look at it from the standpoint of who will actually see the field in a reserve roll, I think they will be more than fine with Hull and Witherspoon. The 6th and 7th guys are only gonna be contributing on Special Teams.

Witherspoon looks like he has plenty left in the tank, and should be there if called upon. Josh Hull, IMO, is one of the more under rated players on the team. He has been more than "serviceable" when called upon in those rare occasion when Laurinaitis has needed, and actually was part of the "30 nickel" package last year.

Whether its Armstrong, J. Stewart, J. Williams, and another guy who is getting quite a bit of action on the Special Team 1st units.... Darren Bates, these guys will only be looked upon to fill in as core guys on ST.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd like to maybe revisit this after watching the Rams play some preseason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
I'd like to maybe revisit this after watching the Rams play some preseason.

Me too.

Good point.