Discuss the current Defenses depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
The DL sure looks like there is room for another player to be added, most likely thru the draft. LB has some depth issues, is Forrest an OLB or ILB. Tru seems to be staying for this upcoming season, his backup is uncertain, draft pick most likely. Webster and Gaines will mostly likely battle for a starting spot, Alexander and Joyner look good at S, have a bit of depth also. After the rams address the critical need of pass catchers early in the draft, can see day 3 picks begin on the D side of the ball. Perhaps a bit of trading down could happen with the round 4 picks, as the draft seems to be a defensive draft. Fits on Wades D should be the route to go on day 3. Rams are going to have 10 UFA on the D side after 2017, cant resign them all.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brockers had half the snaps of Donald, and only 25 more than Cam Thomas. Easley also had more snaps than Brockers. Brockers graded as the 23'rd highest rated DT last season out of 127 (PFF). Donald came in at #1 and Easley at #26. Cam Thomas was #50. When looking at stats you also have to understand the role of each player, and in a 4-3 the UT is generally more of the penetrator type getting stat line 'numbers'. Brock is bound to get snaps at LDE, but he won't be the starter, ... on rushing downs he needs to be our starting NT. jmo.

Understanding the role of Brockers @ NT is the key element I am looking & digging into here in my suggestions . When Brockers was not on the field of play we got Cam Thomas. That's not a good thing & the evidence was right in front of us last season when Thomas was on the field during key third downs failures. Brockers has been doing the heavy lifting @ NT since Donald's arrival.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/michael-brockers-player-injuries

Brockers nagging injuries from playing the HD @ NT might be causing him to get less snaps (as you pointed out) & making less opportunities to make plays for a very talented DL'er. MB facing constant Double teaming is sure to cause more wear & tear & more injuries for a very athletic DL'er.

It's my ideal to see more of Brockers & not less, I tired of see more of those Cam Thomas like NT's myself. I sure would be looking at seeing more of Brockers on the field & getting more snaps & seeing more time @ LDE. In 2015 the Rams had Nick Fairley to be the relief of MB. The NT Fairley/Brockers teams was a very good one.

Might be a way to keep him less injured & less wear & tear on him. I said it earlier in this thread that a talented NT in this 2017 draft may be the way to improve this DL more than a 34 DE would.

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Do you think that MB may desire to play LDE so he will be able to take advantage of his extra long arms & now fully developed pass rushing technique & not wasted @ NT

He made his money as a 1 gapping NT. I don't think he will be too disappointed staying in that role. In fact I think he would be excited about twisting and stunting more from that spot in Wade's scheme.

Brockers doesn't have to play LE to show off his pass rushing in this scheme and he is not wasted at NT because his ability to dominate the A gap. Like I said earlier Ratliff was very productive pass rushing NT playing for Wade in Dallas. It's not like Wade frequently asks his NT to two gap he will still be able to penetrate and attack like he would at end. However at NT he can use his calling card power to to bully centers and ruin run interior run game like he has done countless times in the past by dominating the A gap. Brockers is the best NT on the roster and arguably the only one. Even if the Rams invested a high pick on a NT I don't see that guy being better than Brockers. IMO they could find someone better than Easley even though that is also a tall task IMO, but certainly more possible and likely considering Brockers long term stability.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yes, Brockers at NT. Donald and Easley at DE. Barwin and Quinn at OLB. Ogletree and Barron inside. Some combo of Johnson, Webster, Gaines, Robey and Countess at CB/nickel CB. Joyner and Alexander at safety. Wade will employ Westbrooks, Trinca-Pasat, Walker, Fox, Longacre, Forest and Littleton in some combination among the front 7. I like that Randolph kid and Christian at backup safety. And of course there will be a rookie, two or three to unseat some of those backups. I know it's easy to say "in Wade we trust" but the guy is really, really good. And I'm looking forward to enjoying this defense do it's thing this season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Brockers nagging injuries from playing the HD @ NT might be causing him to get less snaps (as you pointed out) & making less opportunities to make plays for a very talented DL'er. MB facing constant Double teaming is sure to cause more wear & tear & more injuries for a very athletic DL'er.

It's my ideal to see more of Brockers & not less,

Brockers is the best NT on the roster and arguably the only one. Even if the Rams invested a high pick on a NT I don't see that guy being better than Brockers.

Brockers is one of those players I like, that doesn't have the stats. I consider him one of our best players...key to the run defense....But definitely he's injured too easily. I don't know that you can't find one like him in the draft, but we definitely can find a healthier version...maybe not as powerful...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We don't know what Wade intends for the NT or LDE he hasn't told us. That leads to speculation.
True and there's nothing wrong with speculation.

But we were talking about a very different position change.
Wade has already mentioned the ones he's interested in making (Joyner).

Other changes like losing McDonald are pretty easy to connect the dots (Alexander).

Who they re-signed also gives us a clue as to which players they think can fit (Easley and Westbrooks).

Also who plays NT if Brockers is moved over.

Maybe it's just messing up my idea of symmetry?

I am pretty open-minded usually bed I just don't see Brockers as a DE.

I'm not real hot on Joyner as a Free Safety either.

I guess we'll see. :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/862368834803687424

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...his-position-rams-need-a-healthy-robert-quinn

Regardless of his position, Rams need a healthy Robert Quinn
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

i

Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY Sports

LOS ANGELES -- One of the early impressions of new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips is that he likes to keep things simple, which isn't surprising if you get to know him a bit. He wants his guys to play fast, to play with confidence, so the instructions are relatively straightforward, a refreshing development for a Los Angeles Rams defense that will convert from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

The biggest transition, it seems, will be made by Robert Quinn, the veteran defensive end who is now officially an outside linebacker.

His instructions, per Quinn himself: "Just go out and make plays. That's what they say. From day one, that's what they told me. So, I just wipe my hands and put a smile on my face. It's time to get back to work."

Quinn will in essence be the weakside linebacker, but, as rookie coach Sean McVay said, "He's a rush player. He'll play a similar role to what DeMarcus Ware did in Denver for Wade the last couple of years. He's going to be an elite rusher in this league for years, and that's what we're hoping to do with him moving forward."

The Rams just need Quinn to stay healthy.

The 14th overall pick out of North Carolina in 2011, Quinn racked up 40 sacks from 2012 to '14, making it onto a couple of Pro Bowl rosters and being named first-team All-Pro. But the 26-year-old has been limited to 15 starts over the last two years. Back surgery forced him to miss the second half of the 2015 season. In 2016, he nursed a shoulder injury from Weeks 5 to 6.

In the middle of November, he was admitted to a hospital for what was initially feared to be a seizure but that Quinn eventually chalked up to dehydration. He played in the next two games, then missed the final five with what the team listed as a concussion.

Quinn, speaking from the start of veteran minicamp on April 25, said he's "feeling great" now.

"Of course, I hate missing a year," Quinn added. "It’s been a rough couple of years for me. With the new coaching staff, I just kind of took a step back, took a deep breath. It’s like waking up every day. As long as you can wake up with a smile, you come to work with a positive energy, you just continue to work."

Quinn has always played out of a three-point stance, though he said there were moments last year when he wore a neck roll that caused him to rush the quarterback from an upright position. He may need a big year.

The dead money on Quinn's extension will soon drop significantly, from $8,072,326 in 2017 to $955,354 in 2018. The Rams also selected a couple of outside linebackers in this year's draft -- Samson Ebukam in the fourth round, Ejuan Price in the seventh.

If Quinn doesn't prove to be a fit in Phillips' system, the Rams could simply let him go the following offseason. But they're a much better unit when he's on the field and healthy.

"He’s a game-changer," Rams inside linebacker Alec Ogletree said. "When he’s on the field, you have to account for him."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The dead money on Quinn's extension will soon drop significantly, from $8,072,326 in 2017 to $955,354 in 2018. The Rams also selected a couple of outside linebackers in this year's draft -- Samson Ebukam in the fourth round, Ejuan Price in the seventh.
Neither of these two players^ can take Quinn's place! The Player that can Hasn't been Drafted yet!!:snicker::shades:
I'll go so far as to say Quinn will, at least, be nominated for "Come-Back Player of the Year!(y):D