Discuss the current Defenses depth chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just counted 35 defensive players, including 11 LB'ers & 8 DL ... are you planning on 15 offensive players and 3 special teams guys this season ?

Now, if this is part of the 90 due for camp, why not just name all the competing defensive players ?
What signed Ram was left out of this defensive list going into this draft ? This post thread was specifically dealing with the defense not offense.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What signed Ram was left out of this defensive list going into this draft ? This post thread was specifically dealing with the defense not offense.

Guess I misunderstood what you were putting forward. Most people have been listing who they thought/expected to make the 53, not the entire group of camp competitors which is easily found at the official site.
Your list is also confusing as you have Quinn at ROLB, which is expected, but most of the other DE/OLB tweeners are listed as DE's, as when we were with Greg Williams' 4-3. It begs me to ask why you believe Westbrooks, Longacre & Fox will be an effective starting LDE or rotational player in Phillips' 3-4 scheme ?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow. After reading everything posted in this thread, I can't remember a Rams team going into TC with so may changes and unanswered questions. I'm going to have my hands full trying to look at each positon group when I go to TC. Really looking forward to it though!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
In this Wade 34 D does anyone have any concerns that EW is not a good LDE starting candidate/prospect?
STARTING ? Who thinks that?

Personally I see him as a rotational outside linebacker and that is all.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
STARTING ? Who thinks that?

Personally I see him as a rotational outside linebacker and that is all.

IMO Westbrooks isn't an OLB, edge rushing isn't his strong point and he wouldn't be good dropping in coverage even if it was just occasionally. In this system he is an 3-4 DE. Remember Westbrooks was the backup NT in 2015. His calling card is power probably best suited as depth at the 3-4 DE position.

With Westbrooks situation cleared up the 4 DEs IMO are Donald, Easley, Walker, and Westbrooks. IMO Easley is clearly the best starting option behind Donald. I don't buy the don't start Easley because he is best in a rotation argument for two reasons. Just because he starts doesn't mean he wont be in a rotation and secondly Williams and the Patriots rotate lineman more than anyone else, it's all he's been asked to in the NFL not evidence that he cant play more snaps. In a contract year he will be more motivated than ever to play at a high level and he is good fit for Wade's attacking scheme so he should be in a good position to play well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Even if Westbrook's doesn't play outside linebacker, I don't see where he's a starter anywhere.

Even if they're looking at him for a DE position in the 3-4, if he makes the team, he's a rotational DE.

I'm pretty sure they're looking at Aaron Donald and Dominique Easley as the ends and Brockers as the Nose Tackle as starters.
JMO

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Even if Westbrook's doesn't play outside linebacker, I don't see where he's a starter anywhere.

Even if they're looking at him for a DE position in the 3-4, if he makes the team, he's a rotational DE.

I'm pretty sure they're looking at Aaron Donald and Dominique Easley as the ends and Brockers as the Nose Tackle as starters.
JMO

I tend to agree. I'm hoping both Walker & Trinca-Pasat are able to edge Westbrooks/Longacre out ... and we draft a quality 3-4 DE relatively high, someone who can compete with Easley for snaps. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO Westbrooks isn't an OLB, edge rushing isn't his strong point and he wouldn't be good dropping in coverage even if it was just occasionally. In this system he is an 3-4 DE. Remember Westbrooks was the backup NT in 2015. His calling card is power probably best suited as depth at the 3-4 DE position.

With Westbrooks situation cleared up the 4 DEs IMO are Donald, Easley, Walker, and Westbrooks. IMO Easley is clearly the best starting option behind Donald. I don't buy the don't start Easley because he is best in a rotation argument for two reasons. Just because he starts doesn't mean he wont be in a rotation and secondly Williams and the Patriots rotate lineman more than anyone else, it's all he's been asked to in the NFL not evidence that he cant play more snaps. In a contract year he will be more motivated than ever to play at a high level and he is good fit for Wade's attacking scheme so he should be in a good position to play well.

Westbrooks who was an UDFA has some ability to pressure & IMO was much better in applying that pressure @ LDE last season for the Rams than the starting LDE Wm Hayes. My opinion here is Wade saw EW as a better of the two & went with the younger less expensive trending upward EW. Your fully correct in mentioning EW past as an interior DL'er who the ability to press the pocket.

Wade does have some options as to whom he will start @ LDE. This post is wide open. Once the draft has concluded we are sure to Wade's vision as to what he wants to do. If he a 34 DE does fall (they do have the tendency to do that) & Snead goes that direction (as @jrry32 has thrown out in a post last week) then our picture as what Wade will do would change.

My thoughts on this is to not go for a LDE but set the Ram draft team sites on a future starting NT instead maybe even two. Then Brockers, Easley, Westbrooks, Walker, Longacre , Fox & Trucant-Pasat all can fight it out as to which of them would start @ the LDE post. Fact is Westbrooks can be a very good reserve @ all three DL post if need be. Westbrooks may have a future here after this season is done.

I certainly have no issues with Easley does get the node as starter @ LDE but he has no future here after this season. Demoff will be forced to look through all the sofa cushions to find enough salary cap to sign Donald & Ogletree. Leaving nothing left for this former No#1 selection & All American @ UF Dom Easley who would be seeking a big high $$$$ contract himself after winning a starting post here as a Ram. Therefore investing much time in Easley & his badly damaged knees after this season as a teams future high $$$ starter is worthless.

My preference is that Micheal Brockers wins this LDE post & the future goes forward with both MB & AD as our starting DE's. In conclusion Wade may have all these Ram DL'ers coming from every direction all the time & it will not matter much who gets to start where in the end.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
This idea that Brockers is a DE is totally confusing to me.

I get that this is a three-man line but who plays nose tackle if Brockers is at defensive end?

He's always been a 0 tech that shades a tad.

To me he's always been a nose tackle and that's where they're going to line them up from the git.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My preference is that Micheal Brockers wins this LDE post

I can't recall anybody except yourself thinking that Brockers is even in the running for the LDE post or ANY DE post for that matter.

These writers have been desperate for articles to write and if even right and full length articles on Lamarcus Joyner possibly changing positions.

It seems to me that I would have read it mentioned in one of the many articles on the concerning the switch to the 3-4 D.

Maybe I missed something?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I certainly have no issues with Easley does get the node as starter @ LDE but he has no future here after this season. Demoff will be forced to look through all the sofa cushions to find enough salary cap to sign Donald & Ogletree. Leaving nothing left for this former No#1 selection & All American @ UF Dom Easley who would be seeking a big high $$$$ contract himself after winning a starting post here as a Ram. Therefore investing much time in Easley & his badly damaged knees after this season as a teams future high $$$ starter is worthless.

IMO you play the best players; half the defense is in a contract year, so who knows what the future holds. Before the 2015 season If you asked most people who was more likely to be here after 2015 JJ or Barron most would say Jenks. I wouldn't bench Easily just because he could be make alot of money next year. If the coaches feel like Easily puts the team in best position to win play him. At his his OTA press conference Donald mentioned the d-line would still be doing alot of the same things and there was still a NT and 3 tech in the scheme. Brockers has been a very good NT when healthy and if he is going to be doing a lot of the same things IMO there is no reason to move him. Additionally he still has upside to be very productive because Wade likes to twist and stunt his lineman. When Wade had Jay Ratliff playing NT in Dallas he was the second most productive rusher behind Ware. IMO Brockers can still be very productive at NT and it is probably the position where he can use his calling card power the best.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@StealYoGurley

I have never had the view nor have I ever expressed that Micheal Brockers is NOT a good NT. You will get no argument from me on that subject.

MB has had some injury issues for several seasons but they have not caused him to miss too many games. But his play & stats from the Nose Tackle post ....were not good overall. But I am sure many here will be rushing to the keyboards to defend MB's 14 tackles & zero sacks & posting to say stats don't really indicate much. Then why do we use them as one of main ways to measure a players performance? Do you think that MB may desire to play LDE so he will be able to take advantage of his extra long arms & now fully developed pass rushing technique & not wasted @ NT:shocking:?

Yes I know that if MB were to be considered for the open LDE post it would ruin those members world who desire that Dom Easley be considered the starter there instead.

Should I remind members here that Westbrooks as one of Rams many unknown DL reserves who only had 2 starts had 18 tacks & 2 sacks. Bottom Line Its just my opinion that MB would finally have a breakout NFL season where he could cause serious havoc in our opponents OL if he was positioned away from the NT post & utilized more often in the LDE post. I am also of the opinion MB has more value in this post in this Wade's Defense. We will see in a few months just how wrong I am or .....if I am on target:cheers:.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think some people are mistaking speculation as a statement of fact. We don't know what Wade intends for the NT or LDE he hasn't told us. That leads to speculation. While we think he can we aren't saying he will for certain. While we're saying he can it doesn't mean we think he should or he can't play NT. Until we see the unit on the field for the first snap week 1 we know only a few things for sure because Wade and McVay have told us. Donald at RDE, Tree and Barron at ILB, Quinn and Barwin at OLB and Mo and Joyner are our safeties, the other 4 spots are open to what we are doing. Speculating and discussing, don't close your mind to it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
IMO you play the best players; half the defense is in a contract year, so who knows what the future holds. IMO Brockers can still be very productive at NT and it is probably the position where he can use his calling card power the best.

Very true. You've now hit on the reason i've been pushing for a DE fairly high in the upcoming draft. While Easley appears our best starting answer at LDE, no time like the present to add quality to the rotation and a potential future starter and long term employee. No-one is going to beat out Brockers as our starting NT, especially defending against the rush, although it's far easier seeing Phillips move Brockers around in passing situations as both he and Walker should adapt well to either position in these applications. Since the NFL is a passing league, we have basically replaced the rush oriented DT Cam Thomas with a more penetrating type of pass disrupter in Walker. We could still probably use a back-up rush defending NT in case Brockers goes down, but being he is not likely to see much playing time, this role may be filled by a CAP cut free agent following the draft or a late draft pick/UDFA, someone who is more likely assigned to the practice squad depending on how many DL'men we choose to carry. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very true. You've now hit on the reason i've been pushing for a DE fairly high in the upcoming draft. While Easley appears our best starting answer at LDE, no time like the present to add quality to the rotation and a potential future starter and long term employee. No-one is going to beat out Brockers as our starting NT, especially defending against the rush, although it's far easier seeing Phillips move Brockers around in passing situations as both he and Walker should adapt well to either position in these applications. Since the NFL is a passing league, we have basically replaced the rush oriented DT Cam Thomas with a more penetrating type of pass disrupter in Walker. We could still probably use a back-up rush defending NT in case Brockers goes down, but being he is not likely to see much playing time, this role may be filled by a CAP cut free agent following the draft or a late draft pick/UDFA, someone who is more likely assigned to the practice squad depending on how many DL'men we choose to carry. jmo.
Just curious but why does it have to be a high pick? The year Wade won the Super Bowl with the Broncos his front seven might shock you. Two 1st rounders, a 2nd, a 5th, a 6th and 2 UDFA. The Rams right now have 5 1st rounders a JD rounder and a we don't know at LDE. It all gets back to the same point made in multiple draft threads, get players! It doesn't have to be a first three round pick to be good in the front seven.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
@StealYoGurley

MB has had some injury issues for several seasons but they have not caused him to miss too many games. But his play & stats from the Nose Tackle post ....were not good overall. But I am sure many here will be rushing to the keyboards to defend MB's 14 tackles & zero sacks & posting to say stats don't really indicate much. Then why do we use them as one of main ways to measure a players performance? Do you think that MB may desire to play LDE so he will be able to take advantage of his extra long arms & now fully developed pass rushing technique & not wasted @ NT:shocking:?

Yes I know that if MB were to be considered for the open LDE post it would ruin those members world who desire that Dom Easley be considered the starter there instead.

Should I remind members here that Westbrooks as one of Rams many unknown DL reserves who only had 2 starts had 18 tacks & 2 sacks. Bottom Line Its just my opinion that MB would finally have a breakout NFL season where he could cause serious havoc in our opponents OL if he was positioned away from the NT post & utilized more often in the LDE post. I am also of the opinion MB has more value in this post in this Wade's Defense. We will see in a few months just how wrong I am or .....if I am on target:cheers:.

Brockers had half the snaps of Donald, and only 25 more than Cam Thomas. Easley also had more snaps than Brockers. Brockers graded as the 23'rd highest rated DT last season out of 127 (PFF). Donald came in at #1 and Easley at #26. Cam Thomas was #50. When looking at stats you also have to understand the role of each player, and in a 4-3 the UT is generally more of the penetrator type getting stat line 'numbers'. Brock is bound to get snaps at LDE, but he won't be the starter, ... on rushing downs he needs to be our starting NT. jmo.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's my speculation...

Wade Phillips is gonna pleasantly surprise most of us with the way he integrates all of our D players into a very effective system.

LDE starters and rotation.
NT rotation.
Moving Donald all around.
Barron's fit in the front 7.
Quinn's fit, also.
TruJo might have his best year ever.
How does outside CB opposite Tru work out? Webster, Gaines, or a rookie?
Joyner to FS (could be a brilliant move decision)
Mo to SS.

So many moving parts to our '17 D. Literally. Wade will tinker and tinker, then tinker some more until this D has become beastly. I prefer to not so much try to anticipate the moves, (although it's certainly fun to speculate) but rather to just enjoy the ride while watching them unfold.

I predict that the resulting D will be greater than the sum of it's existing parts. No disrespect intended toward GW, btw.

I predict less bend but don't break philosophy which will get our D off the field more quickly AND give our O more possessions. That, in turn, will raise our O scoring numbers. Makes Goff more comfortable and will raise the win total.

Some serious synergy gonna be goin' on. Trust me. Lol.

Last prediction: As den said months ago, Wade Phillips will prove to be the best Ram offseason acquisition, outside of McVay himself.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Just curious but why does it have to be a high pick? The year Wade won the Super Bowl with the Broncos his front seven might shock you. Two 1st rounders, a 2nd, a 5th, a 6th and 2 UDFA. The Rams right now have 5 1st rounders a JD rounder and a we don't know at LDE. It all gets back to the same point made in multiple draft threads, get players! It doesn't have to be a first three round pick to be good in the front seven.

Well, good players come from all areas of the draft, no doubt, but when you deem a potential starting position as important as DE, you might want to heed your bets by seeking out those grading higher. As mentioned earlier, guys like Easley, Walker & Trinca-Pasat will all be eligible for free agency next year, so we may be looking for someone who is expected to start in the event of an absence. We already dismissed last seasons starter in William Hayes. For 2017, being we don't have a 1'st round draft pick, a 'high' pick for me would be a 2'nd or 3'rd, but it obviously still comes down to BPA. As I've mentioned many times already, the Rams have more needs than draft picks, so this team rebuild isn't going to happen overnight, although the draft should point to where McVay/Phillips feels they can get 'the most bang for the buck' while hoping we have enough depth and assets to stem the tide elsewhere. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, good players come from all areas of the draft, no doubt, but when you deem a potential starting position as important as DE, you might want to heed your bets by seeking out those grading higher. As mentioned earlier, guys like Easley, Walker & Trinca-Pasat will all be eligible for free agency next year, so we may be looking for someone who is expected to start in the event of an absence. We already dismissed last seasons starter in William Hayes. For 2017, being we don't have a 1'st round draft pick, a 'high' pick for me would be a 2'nd or 3'rd, but it obviously still comes down to BPA. As I've mentioned many times already, the Rams have more needs than draft picks, so this team rebuild isn't going to happen overnight, although the draft should point to where McVay/Phillips feels they can get 'the most bang for the buck' while hoping we have enough depth and assets to stem the tide elsewhere. jmo.
Good point on Easley that's six 1st rounders in the front seven. There is no reason a 6th round DE pick this year can't start next year. There's no reason we can't resign Easley next year either. We need players regardless of position in the draft. We don't need a DE in our first two picks, that's a luxury with what we have invested there already.