DirecTV and the NFL Sunday Ticket

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I refuse to get Satelite based on the fact that I love cable internet too much. And being a gamer, and Netflix junkie...I can't get by on DSL.

Thats where it gets expenisve for me as I have cox cable internet AND directv you combine them during sunday ticket billing period im spending 300 plus for satelite and internet

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Thats where it gets expenisve for me as I have cox cable internet AND directv you combine them during sunday ticket billing period im spending 300 plus for satelite and internet

I have Comcast's Cadillac TV package and 50 Mbps internet for like 130/mo.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm not really sure what this article is implying. Does this mean direct TV will no longer provide NFL Ticket and you can only watch it through a computer or phone via AT&T?or does AT&T provide a TV network as well?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I'm not really sure what this article is implying. Does this mean direct TV will no longer provide NFL Ticket and you can only watch it through a computer or phone via AT&T?or does AT&T provide a TV network as well?

I belive AT&T owns UVerse so I dont know how that would work.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

What will most likely happen is DirecTV will still operate as it is but under the Umbrella of AT&T...but this is contingent on the Sunday Ticket contract.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Report: DirecTV “likely” to renew NFL Sunday Ticket
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2014

directv1.jpg
Getty Images

The sale of DirecTV has sparked plenty of chatter about the future of NFL Sunday Ticket, especially with the acquisition of the company by AT&T potentially hinging on a renewal of the package.

For now, it appears that DirecTV will indeed re-up the arrangement it’s now had for 20 years. According to John Ourand ofSportsBusiness Daily, DirecTV’s exclusive negotiating window has expired, but the NFL has yet to spark “serious negotiations” with competitors — and it’s “likely” DirecTV will renew the popular service that allows fans to watch all (or in some cities most) Sunday afternoon games.

The timing, with the proposed purchase being announced before DirecTV has finalized an extension, could complicate the effort to keep the rights. It’s a fair guess, however, that some winking and/or nodding has occurred between the league and DirecTV regarding the parameters of a new deal. Otherwise, the deal between AT&T and DirecTV wouldn’t have happened yet.

Either way, the regulatory process is expected to delay closing by roughly a year. That’s plenty of time for DirecTV to wrap up its next contract with the NFL.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
With being affected directly from a AT&T buyout years ago I can tell you I am not a big fan of theirs. A very corporate minded company that will do whatever they can to make a buck.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hate them all.

I only have Direct TV because I want Rams games in PA. I hate that it is a monopoly that results in price escalation every 2 years. They need competition to make it better for fans.

I lie X idea about pay per game access. Thing is, eventually it would Los go up in price.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Shoot, I do all my football business by phone. It's a big reason I stuck with Verizon, love NFL Mobile.

I don't even have a box for my TV, only an X-Box that just collects dust anymore.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
None of this shit is going to matter in the next 3-5 years anyway. The web is the hub and will be even more so in the coming few years to half a decade. It destroyed print, it has already altered radio and is going to do more to form that landscape, and TV has already felt it's growing presence now that hi-speed is fast enough to stream anything.

I'd wager that the NFL will broadcast it's games over the web after the next TV contract is up and will have complete control over all revenue streams. There is no way that doesn't happen.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have no idea why the NFL doesn't offer a pay-per-view service for games. There has to be more to it than it just being a dumb oversight. I'd pay $9.99 per game to see every Rams game (as would most any other out of market fan). That's less than $160 for a full season. I really never used it to watch other teams play, so that would be fine. Actually better than the $300 or whatever I was paying before for games I didn't even watch.

You'll have an opportunity to do that soon. But it won't be $9.99 and you won't be able to get around it by going to a sports bar. You'll pay the NFL directly and it'll eventually be twice or more what you'd be willing to pay at 10 bucks a view. My guess is once it's online it'll be 25 bucks a pop to watch the game.

And all of us fucking suckers will grit our teefs and hand it over.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None of this crap is going to matter in the next 3-5 years anyway. The web is the hub and will be even more so in the coming few years to half a decade. It destroyed print, it has already altered radio and is going to do more to form that landscape, and TV has already felt it's growing presence now that hi-speed is fast enough to stream anything.

I'd wager that the NFL will broadcast it's games over the web after the next TV contract is up and will have complete control over all revenue streams. There is no way that doesn't happen.
By next contract, do you mean the one thats up after 2014? Last time they signed a 5 year deal. So are you thinking for 2015 or 2020?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You'll have an opportunity to do that soon. But it won't be $9.99 and you won't be able to get around it by going to a sports bar. You'll pay the NFL directly and it'll eventually be twice or more what you'd be willing to pay at 10 bucks a view. My guess is once it's online it'll be 25 bucks a pop to watch the game.

And all of us freaking suckers will grit our teefs and hand it over.
Then their marketing department is beyond stupid. $9.99 per game is reasonable, and most fans would pony up for that. And considering there are MILLIONS of football fans in the Country, the revenue stream would be enormous. $25 a game is unreasonable to me, and I'd probably just get a shitty stream online instead.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Then their marketing department is beyond stupid. $9.99 per game is reasonable, and most fans would pony up for that. And considering there are MILLIONS of football fans in the Country, the revenue stream would be enormous. $25 a game is unreasonable to me, and I'd probably just get a crappy stream online instead.

OK would you pay 19.99?

Not sayin I work for the NFL, just takin yer temperature here

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OK would you pay 19.99?

Not sayin I work for the NFL, just takin yer temperature here
Probably. I paid that much for Sunday Ticket anyway, but I rarely watched any other games, so....