DirecTV and the NFL Sunday Ticket

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
DirecTV sale won’t expand availability of NFL Sunday Ticket
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2014

directv.jpg
Getty Images

With AT&T buying DirecTV for the tidy sum of $48.5 billion, NFL fans have become fascinated with the prospect of getting access to NFL Sunday Ticket without having to buy a satellite dish.

Fascination is about as far as it will go.

AT&T’s purchase of DirecTV won’t give AT&T the ability to do anything more with TV rights than DirecTV already has purchased. If AT&T wants to expand the ability to deliver NFL Sunday Ticket to consumers, AT&T will have to pay for that privilege.

AT&T will be paying in any event. The package expires after the coming season, and the league may want even more for the rights now that there’s a deeper pocket into which the NFL can give.

Look for AT&T/DirecTV to fork it over. The NFL continues to be one of the hottest properties in entertainment, and DirecTV could see a major exodus of customers (this one included) if NFL Sunday Ticket suddenly isn’t available.

DirecTV purchase could hinge on NFL Sunday Ticket renewal
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2014

images.jpg

If DirecTV loses the NFL Sunday Ticket package, plenty of customers won’t want DirecTV. The company’s potential buyer may not want it, either.

According to Jon Erlichman of Bloomberg.com, a federal filing made in connection with AT&T’s proposed purchase contains this clause: “The parties also have agreed that in the event that DIRECTV’s agreement for the ‘NFL Sunday Ticket’ service is not renewed substantially on the terms discussed between the parties, the Company may elect not to consummate the Merger[.]“

The current contract between the league and DirecTV runs through 2014. Given the regulatory realities, it’s likely that the AT&T/DirecTV merger wouldn’t become final until 2015. Which means that the NFL’s relationship with DirecTV will be resolved before AT&T’s relationship with DirecTV is resolved.

This gives the NFL plenty of power over the process. If the league asks for too much money and the deal isn’t renewed, the AT&T/DirecTV merger gets blown up.

It also provides an AT&T/DirecTV competitor an opening for killing the deal, simply by overpaying for NFL Sunday Ticket.

From the AT&T/DirecTV perspective, it’s not an unlimited pot of money. The clause expressly refers to renewal “substantially on the terms discussed between the parties.” If the number is too high, AT&T can still walk away.

There’s an apparent limitation to AT&T’s ability to walk away. The tweet from Erlichman concludes with the word “but” after “Merger.” Which means that there’s some sort of limitation to AT&T’s power to pull the plug.

I’ll track down the filing to see what the “but” is all about after PFT Live. Until then, feel free to do it for me and send the link. A free one-year subscription to PFT Live is riding on it.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Man I would like to get away from Direct TV but as long as they have the monopoly on sunday ticket im stuck.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The ATT purchase shouldn't even be allowed to happen.

This isn't the same as TWC and Comcast merging. ATT has been providing internet for DirectTV bundles for years. I think ATT has actually owned DirectTV in the past, haven't they?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Man I would like to get away from Direct TV but as long as they have the monopoly on sunday ticket im stuck.

I refuse to get Satelite based on the fact that I love cable internet too much. And being a gamer, and Netflix junkie...I can't get by on DSL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Curious as to why you think that? I'm not disagreeing, just curious to your pov

I'll give you my thoughts; fewer choices. Less competition. Higher prices and less consumer say.

First Comcast and Time Warner. Now AT&T and Directv.

Comcast and AT&T now control this space.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'll give you my thoughts; fewer choices. Less competition. Higher prices and less consumer say.

Comcast and AT&T have controlled many of the urban areas for a while now.

Only now that Google fiber is moving in are some metro areas seeing competition.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I dont know what Direct Tv will be worth if they dont keep the Sunday Ticket. AT&T will be competing with DISH not necassarily the the others. And Verizon is certainly a strong competitor in the market as well.

I convince myself that I love Direct TV, but its just so I can justify the Sunday Ticket. I'll glady go to broadband, cable or whatever it takes to hop on to the next carrier.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If this leads to Sunday Ticket being offered without a Direct TV subscription, then I'm all for it.

Currently the only way to get Sunday Ticket if you don't have DirectTV, is to prove that your building doesn't allow satellites to be installed. I bought Madden 25 last year just for the Sunday Ticket streaming code inside of it, and still haven't even played the game.

GIVE US A STREAMING SUBSCRIPTION EVERY YEAR, DAMNIT!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have no idea why the NFL doesn't offer a pay-per-view service for games. There has to be more to it than it just being a dumb oversight. I'd pay $9.99 per game to see every Rams game (as would most any other out of market fan). That's less than $160 for a full season. I really never used it to watch other teams play, so that would be fine. Actually better than the $300 or whatever I was paying before for games I didn't even watch.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Out where I live there is no choice but satellite of some kind and when it comes to DTV or Dish there really isn't much comparison. We also do not have high speed internet of any kind available so DTV and cell service is still the best I can do. I would do the pay-per-view option for $10/game but not much more.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Just like Comcast buying Time Warner Cable.

Except AT&T and DirecTV have worked together for years.

The real sad thing is, even after combining their customer bases, it still puts them about to the level of Comcast.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I dont know what Direct Tv will be worth if they dont keep the Sunday Ticket. AT&T will be competing with DISH not necassarily the the others. And Verizon is certainly a strong competitor in the market as well.

I convince myself that I love Direct TV, but its just so I can justify the Sunday Ticket. I'll glady go to broadband, cable or whatever it takes to hop on to the next carrier.
I'm with you -- I get my TV through DirecTV, and my phone & internet is Verizon FiOS. At least once a month, Verizon calls me with the jilted lover routine: "why won't you sign up for our TV service?!?"

I'd love it if Verizon was able to offer Sunday Ticket -- I'd dump DirecTV and give all my business to Verizon (Comcast can suck it!!)

And with DirecTV's current exclusive contract with the NFL expiring at the end of the 2014, this is something to keep our eyes on. Don't upgrade any equipment that will lock you into a 2-year commitment with any carrier.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you -- I get my TV through DirecTV, and my phone & internet is Verizon FiOS. At least once a month, Verizon calls me with the jilted lover routine: "why won't you sign up for our TV service?!?"

I'd love it if Verizon was able to offer Sunday Ticket -- I'd dump DirecTV and give all my business to Verizon (Comcast can suck it!!)

And with DirecTV's current exclusive contract with the NFL expiring at the end of the 2014, this is something to keep our eyes on. Don't upgrade any equipment that will lock you into a 2-year commitment with any carrier.
Fios isnt available on my street, drives me nuts. Although its probably for the best because its the excuse I use with the wife why we still have Direct tv. I say, "Man if we could get Fios, I'd dump Direct TV in a second, NFL Ticket and all!" knowing there's no shot I can get it.....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Living down here in the south east with the NFL Direct Ticket & being a Rams Fan ....when the Rams play Tampa or Miami or Jags or Atlanta or the Saints or even the Panthers .....beware these games stand a very good chance to be blacked out in my viewing area on a regular basis.

When you heard the advertizements that you can get every game every week bla bla .....they are lying! False! Disappointing I have pointed this out to them @ Direct TV but they claim they have no involvement in those game day decisions. Is that what we call a song and dance?