Dilfer says he wouldn't bother with the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It was interesting to hear his comments. I am not certain I believe him but he said as a player he is well aware of all the UDFAs that will be making plays in Playoff games in the final seconds and all of the high draft picks that are going to be out of work in three years. He said it is not an exact science. He said if it wasn't part of his job that he would have nothing to do with it.

To me that is what makes the lack of it being an exact science is what makes it fun. If it was an exact science it would be boring. I think his problem is that he has been wrong about guys too often and has given up trying. He LOVED Colt McCoy. He always banged the table for him. Dilfer has always been a bit too full of himself for my liking. But I bet he would watch even if ESPN shitcanned him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Isn't this the guy who <ahem> "developed" the ESPN QBR? If one makes their living off of talking about the NFL, how could they have no interest in the draft? I find it hard to believe that Dilfer finds new ways for me not to like him.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Some people make bold statements to draw attention to themselves.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Given his draft day experience mixed up with the Kiper/Tobin pissing match, I don't blame him.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Meh, ESPN....who takes their commentary seriously?

At this point ESPN is like a vanity news network. Sure, the gimmicks like top ten is fun...but outside of that, there's nothing worth watching on there.

/Rant

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meh, ESPN....who takes their commentary seriously?

At this point ESPN is like a vanity news network. Sure, the gimmicks like top ten is fun...but outside of that, there's nothing worth watching on there.

/Rant

I only watch ESPn for college football and when there is nothing on, however their past draft coverage shows are interesting.

In 74' The Jets traded their second round pick to two teams, the second team was the Rams. It was great to see the picks being written on a clear plastic sheet on an Overhead projector, with a bunch of people crammed into a tiny room.

Also the Rams traded a the seventh pick to San Francisco, for more picks later. Was that they last time the made a high profile trade with a division rival?

But then they go and ruin it by putting Dilfer on for a clip. He is way more cocky than he should be. He thinks he knows all about being a QB guru. I recall him constantly spouting off about how to develop QBs. It was right after Aarron Rodgers took over in Green Bay and of course he said that even first round QBs need to sit on the bench for a few years.

Maybe in an ideal situation but not many teams can afford to do that.

Last edited:

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Outside of NFL Games, I can't remember the last time my TV was on ESPN.

iced

Dilfer's a tool. I never take anything he or the hasselbitches ever say seriously

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Dilbert had to create that QBR to somehow make his on field play relevant. Dude is an arrogant douchenozzle. His teeth scare me a lil bit also......jes sayin.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Dilfer thinks Tebow is a good QB. That's all I need to know about his evaluation ability.

Like every other analyst he gets some right and some wrong. He did after all blast the Vikings for drafting Christian Ponder.

I've always liked Trent Dilfer. He was a mediocre QB who rode his way to a Super Bowl ring on the back of a ferocious defense but did the job they gave him - don't screw it up. No one can take that away from him.

However in this case he shot himself in the foot with his mouth. The draft may not be important to him but it is a huge draw for his employer ESPN, who will most certainly make their displeasure known to him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He lost all cred when he said Colt McCoy was going to end up having the most successful career out of the 2010 class. And of course the only reason he said that is because he and Colt are (were) represented by the same agency. How do you become so dumb that you think (in this day and age) nobody could figure that out?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Dilfer doesn't look people in the eye when he speaks to them...never trust someone like that.

Don't believe me? Watch him speak to others on set.