Dilfer/Kiper/Mort on the Risks & Rewards of Drafting Manziel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

ESPN's Trent Dilfer, Mel Kiper Jr. and Chris Mortensen discuss the risks and rewards involved with drafting QB Johnny Manziel, and how his game will translate to the NFL. (3:54)

ESPN

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Good points all around... I can't wait to watch the kid play ball.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good points all around... I can't wait to watch the kid play ball.

Put me in the category that thinks Manziel could be good in the NFL.

I see the flaws in his game. He might not hold up if he plays too freely. But he'll make plays out of nothing.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I see the flaws in his game. He might not hold up if he plays too freely. But he'll make plays out of nothing.
Players are so much faster, and aware, all around in the NFL. I don't think he's R. Wilson.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Players are so much faster, and aware, all around in the NFL. I don't think he's R. Wilson.

Yeah, but Russell Wilson wasn't Russell Wilson until the NFL discovered such a player could be successful.

I think JM is a better arm talent then RW, too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, but Russell Wilson wasn't Russell Wilson until the NFL discovered such a player could be successful.

It's not really what I meant, but I agree with your point. I think R. Wilson was a much better college football player than J. Football. He's thicker, and a better athlete too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's not really what I meant, but I agree with your point. I think R. Wilson was a much better college football player than J. Football. He's thicker, and a better athlete too.

I agree he's thicker, and that helps. But what really impresses me is he doesn't get hit. Big difference between him and RG3, who's an absolute hit magnet.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing Russell forced to win when it's on his arm to do it. He has a HUGE advantage playing behind that defense.

iced

RW also had one of the top defenses in the nfl and a top league rushing offense to help him,despite his anemic post season production (by qb standards).

JM won't be so lucky,imo.he may get one (defense and rush offense),but not both

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Russell Wilson isn't even Russell Wilson (in terms of the legend people have built him up to be).

His last 7 games:

15 of 25 199 Yds 1 TD 1 INT
18 of 27 206 Yds 1 TD 1 INT
11 of 27 108 Yds 1 TD 1 INT
15 of 23 172 Yds 1 TD 0 INT
9 of 18 103 Yds 0 TD 0 INT
16 of 25 215 Yds 1 TD 0 INT
18 of 25 206 Yds 2 TD 0 INT

I think it's funny when people discount how truly beneficial it is to have a defense and running game like the one by which he's surrounded.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Yeah bro. He'll definitely be fun to watch. Hope he doesn't get killed though. :D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Russell Wilson isn't even Russell Wilson (in terms of the legend people have built him up to be).

His last 7 games:

I think it's funny when people discount how truly beneficial it is to have a defense and running game like the one by which he's surrounded.

I'm with you on that.

He's smart. So he's been successful on that team.

But... As the cap squeezes them... Can RW win games with his arm? I think the jury is still out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

His last 7 games:

But you also have to factor in how many of those games that they won. He knows how to play safe and not blow, or give away games...I like that. Can Manziel do that? I don't think he's programmed to. I wouldn't say, or even think about Wilson as a legend. He walked onto a pretty damn good team.

edit: I just re-read this, and threw up in my mouth.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That's exactly my point. You can win with those numbers.
You sure can. I would go as far to say that you might usually win with those numbers. If those are the only attempts in a game.

Unless you are behind in the game, and trying to lose.