Dig deep. It's introspection time.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh - And "you" CAN'T TOUCH THIS. :gr: :wootwoot:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
X said:
STOP.

Introspection time.
tumblr_m6jbxsWUPp1qcpo7bo1_250.gif

Eh. Some of you will get the reference. Seriously though, I want to ask a question (or two) that requires people to really look within themselves to come up with an answer. And it's gonna be difficult to do, I think. Because quite honestly, I don't even know the answer when I ask it of myself.

So ... the question is this. What makes you, as a fan of the Rams, want to defend a specific player (to the death) against other fans of the Rams who feel it incumbent upon them to criticize that same player? And CONVERSELY, what makes you, as a fan of the Rams, want to criticize one player of the team, while being offended by the criticism of the one you like to defend? I've seen Gibson derided by people who get offended by Bradford criticisms, and I've seen Bradford derided by people who get offended by Gibson criticism.

The "what" for me is a conglomeration of my football experience that is some 39 years. I became a Die-Hard Ram when I was 6 and have never waivered,,, started playing organized tackle football when I was 10 (played through HS, and I was no scrub),,, have 3 sons who play football ,,, and as if that wasn't enough... I almost find it impossible to not watch any football game that might be on TV (this goes all the way back to when I was 6 too).

So I've watched, played, worried, studied, and lived football for a long fucking time.

It's been a long time since I've truly defended a Ram player, coach, or executive. The last 6-7 years haven't really given me reason to "defend". I have criticized all of the above though. I hate that I've had anything to complain about any, but I think it's fair to say that we should all agree that the football product has been seriously lacking for far too long. Even so, my addiction to the Rams has somehow stayed unbreakable.

I don't mind reading other's opinions on our team. I'm totally isolated as a Ram Fan here in Orlando, and I have been that way in all of the other places that I lived (many btw, I'm an Army Brat). I crave others who might know the Rams, and thankfully, I discovered Ram forums for the first time in 2009. I've been a religious participant ever since.

I don't mind reading opinions that differ from mine, but I get pissed when posters try and make things personal. I got attacked (had my football acumen questioned) when I first started posting in 2009. I know now that it was done by a few anti-social punks who use these forums for a different reason than I do, but back then I took their bait on several occasions. I know better now, but I am cursed with an extremely sharp memory,,, so I'll never forget a few posters for the wrong reasons. I just can't resist taking stabs at a select few posters out there when I see the chance,,, and they more than deserve it.

Family are allowed to talk about family members right ? It's the people outside of the family that better shut the fuck up. :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Selassie I said:
Family are allowed to talk about family members right ? It's the people outside of the family that better shut the fuck up. :ww:
Truth.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I tolerate one criticism of SJ, he doesn't carry the ball in his left hand when he's running to the left. Other than that I don't think any criticism of the guys really legitimate he's given everything he had to this team .

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353897115.282131.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353897115.282131.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 157

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thordaddy said:
I tolerate one criticism of SJ, he doesn't carry the ball in his left hand when he's running to the left. Other than that I don't think any criticism of the guys really legitimate he's given everything he had to this team .
He actually does now. Maybe he heard you.

Nice slopes, too dude. :cheese:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:

Nice pic man. Damn jealous - I am.

I used your name in the chat room tonight. SJ would have made you proud. He shifted to his outside hand on his longest run.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
with regards to Sammy B - more consistency in our offensive drives would be great, but it's not all down to the QB as others have mentioned it's how well the WRs run their routes, how well the O-line blocks etc

I think the people who criticise SB would shut up if for instance he left to go to Arizona and kept finding Fitz in the endzone

Criticism usually comes from people who think that they can do better the "It could be me out there, if it wasn't for that HS injury..." mentality - we're Rams Fans, and most of us have followed them through the downs and the few UPs - supporting a football team is the nearst thing that we get to to being part of a clan / tribe, there's always going to be criticism and in-fighting, we can't challenge on the field, cause lets be honest, we're not that good, or we're too old, so verbal challenging and criticism is all we can do - I think it's useful to vent frustrations...

I will add my own criticism of the team though - PENALTIES! we seem to be going backwards after we've done a gain! That irritates me - does anyone know where to get a stat of how much yardage we've been penalised this season so far in comparison to other teams?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
STOP.

So ... the question is this. What makes you, as a fan of the Rams, want to defend a specific player (to the death) against other fans of the Rams who feel it incumbent upon them to criticize that same player? And CONVERSELY, what makes you, as a fan of the Rams, want to criticize one player of the team, while being offended by the criticism of the one you like to defend? I've seen Gibson derided by people who get offended by Bradford criticisms, and I've seen Bradford derided by people who get offended by Gibson criticism.

I won't defend a player to the death....EVER. Every player has a shelf life. That shelf life may be different on a different team...see new shelf life. What I want to see in a player is that he does his best in the situation afforded, but I take situation into my critique, always. I don't EVER judge a player by his stats.

When I am critical of a player, it is usually because THAT player is making the mistakes that I have already seen. It irks me to see the same mistakes, or limitations over and over.

I think some peoples criticisms are unfounded, because they just don't know the circumstance of a bad play, or whose fault it was. Some people think every bad throw is on the QB, but in reality, the pass rush, coverage, route running, injuries, meteorological conditions, and more that can affect any given play. Oh, and there are those agenda assholes too.

How did Aaron Rodgers look running for his life last night? Not very good...

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Young Ram said:
The only player I have really defended is SJ39.

Here you have a player who has given everything to this franchise. He has played on very bad teams and not once has he complained. 7 straight 1,000+ yard seasons behind woeful O-lines, that to me is remarkable.

Every year I have heard and read "Trade SJ", "He's slowing down", "He's not productive" and every year he has proved those nay sayers wrong. Many don't appreciate what SJ has done.

Im the same way about SJ. I will defend him regardless. I wont be afraid to admit his shortcomings when he starts to decline in ability, but I will still argue he should touch the ball more. I dont care if he needs a walker to hit the hole. He has given everything to this franchise and as a fan of this franchise I could never turn against him.

I think Kendricks gets unfairly criticized. A lot of Ram fans didnt like him from the beginning because of where he was drafted. He gets criticized because he hasnt developed into a great pass catching TE like Gronk, Graham, Hernandez etc. In reality he has become a pretty good all around TE and will continue to develop

I will unfairly criticize any player that doesnt seam to have interest in being a Ram. Hoho, Incognito, Carriker etc