Differences in how teams run training camps?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Limey

Rookie
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm in Denver on holiday and went along to the Broncos TC yesterday. I haven't been to a Ram camp, but am an avid reader of what the guys on here have posted about them, and some aspects of Bronco camp were different to what I expected. One or two made me wonder about differences in how teams perform once things get real.

Differences?

Fans had no choice where to sit. It was like the parking lot, you move between white lines until you reach an empty spot and the you have to sit there. The grass bank we all sat on gave a good view of the two main training fields, though.

No red shirts for QBs.

4 zebras who threw flags during 7 on 7s, 11 on 11s and full scrimmage. Relatively few PIs called, but there were a few. Made me wonder if they are more disciplined because of it.

A lot of time practising red zone throws, both in small groups and 11 on 11. Zebras ruled on whether receivers got both feet down in the corners. Do we spend that much time on this?

Scrimmages had play clock running and some had down markers. If the O didn't make the first down they had to kick. They nailed a couple of huge FGs albeit in the thin air here. Do we regularly practice with a play clock and zebras? Wondered if we would get fewer delay of game, offside, false start etc if we did?

Apologies if many of those things are common in Rams TC.

Apart from that, they practised catching punts ( no surprise after they fumbled 2 at Seattle) and still looked ropey at it and did the same sort of position group exercises I heard about the Rams doing. There was a funny incident between Bradley Roby and D. Thomas. Roby defended a ball to DT then obviously said something because DT soft punched Roby in the face. There was more yap, then Roby beat him again on the next play. More talk from Roby, then DT lines up opposite the other corner on the next play!

One last observation, though not Rams-related. Manning looked good in the drills, but didn't complete much in the scrimmages. If I was watching Foles do that I might have been a bit worried, Broncos D might be pretty good. Osweiler, who played well v the Hags last week, looked really good against the 2nd D all morning. Their 2nd D may not be good, or the Broncos might have a pretty good replacement for when Manning retires. Watching Manning throw read zone passes and move the chains in team scrimmages for 2 years must have taught him plenty.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Do we regularly practice with a play clock and zebras? Wondered if we would get fewer delay of game, offside, false start etc if we did?

Good question. I would think it would help a lot with the penalties. Drill into their heads what they can and can't do. I don't know if we currently do this or not, but if we don't, I think we absolutely need to. The penalties are out of control and I'm not sure our team is strong enough to overcome those mistakes.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Given our recent discussion on game splits... That we have kick-ass first halfs and suck-ass seconds. I've been thinking about the half-time activities. I'm wondering, are our guys doing turkey chugs and bong hits in there or what? Seriously though, I'm curious as to the differences in the locker room at the half.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Over the years, I recall listening to former coaches and/or GMs on Sirius NFL Radio who have claimed that most NFL teams already have a pretty good idea of the 53 players they want on their roster even before the first preseason game.

I wonder if this is really true for the Rams as well? Barring injury, how many jobs are actually won during preseason games? On the other side of the coin, if a player sucks, why hold on to him until the first cutdown? Why not give an alternative a chance to see if he shows something?

Oh well. Just a few training camp / roster thoughts I had.o_O

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
That sounds like a real formal TC. They hire refs? Never seen that before. Sounds like a Peyton thing. Guy's a pro.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
That sounds like a real formal TC. They hire refs? Never seen that before. Sounds like a Peyton thing. Guy's a pro.

I always imagined every team would do it. Just seems like common sense. Practice as if its a game - then when it is a real game you've practiced for it! You can't suddenly stop holding a guys jersey when the TV cameras are there on a Sunday if you get away with doing it all the rest of the time.

Limey

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It was really formal, almost military in the way that it was all organised, right down to making you walk between white lines on the grass, then sit in the next available space. After the warm ups, a siren went off, and they split into groups for their drills for 15 mins. There was no messing around, just rep after rep, then the siren went again after 15 more mins and they moved on to the next activity. For the unit drills, the 1s would do 2 or 3 reps, then the 2s came straight in etc. There was music playing throughout, mostly the sort of rap you get on player highlight vids, although they did play Suicide Solution. Would have best suited their abysmal punt return practice, where half the balls were fumbled, but it wasn't played then!

Limey

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always imagined every team would do it. Just seems like common sense. Practice as if its a game - then when it is a real game you've practiced for it! You can't suddenly stop holding a guys jersey when the TV cameras are there on a Sunday if you get away with doing it all the rest of the time.

There was so much happening at once that I didn't see them until the first flag was thrown. Then I thought what a great idea it was to have them there, and that I didn't remember hearing any mention of refs at Ram camp. Given how indisciplined our team is, hiring officials for TC couldn't hurt.

fearsomefour

Legend
Osweiler, who played well v the Hags last week, looked really good against the 2nd D all morning. Their 2nd D may not be good, or the Broncos might have a pretty good replacement for when Manning retires.

I like Osweiler a lot.
I really think he is going to be very good.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the report, @Limey!

I hope one of the guys that have frequented Rams practices reads this and comments.

I wondered aloud about how Jeff Fisher handles TC and players in general in the "Cowboys sessions beneficial ..." thread (http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...ial-for-road-weary-rams-pd.39148/#post-604487). Very theoretical stuff, for sure.

But, I also noticed in one of the reports from the scrimmages that the Cowboys coaches continue to teach even after the play is over... i.e while the players are lining up again. Whereas the Rams coaches pull the players aside and review it, then line up again.
IIRC, the report said the Cowboys had to sit around a lot becuase of how the Rams coaches approached that part of practice. Good? Bad? Who knows... just different. I find that interesting.

I'd be curious how some posters here who have gone to camp see your comments.