Difference between this year and last year's D

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Just incase anyone forgot last year we played this same D where the CBs gave up a 8-10yd cushion on almost every down. The difference between this year and last year from what I remember is the safties alignment. Last year they played close to the LOS. Helping to Take away the passes in the middle of the field that natuarlly the CBs can't get to becuase they are 10yds away and the LBs can't get to becuase they aren't as fast. Now they are 15+ yds off the LOS and it seems like we are looking for our 2 slow LBs, and 1 inexperienceed rookie to stop everything from screens, slants, seam routes, in routes, etc... Which as we see it won't work.

And another thing I think is affecting our defensive play besides the scheme is missing leadership. Dunbar was our defensive leader from game 1. He always set the tone for us... As much as rams fans like jl55 and long, (I have never really cared either way about them cuz to me they are nothing more than solid to good players, but the best we have at both positions) they are not leaders. To me a leader is a motivator and has an IT factor... Like whatever IT is... It will pop out at you. If I'm on my couch watching you I should see IT, feel IT, when u talk. No one has IT on this D or this team for that matter. Maybe one of these rookies have it but its just to early to tell.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Ebonemalone

Rookie
fastcat said:
Just incase anyone forgot last year we played this same D where the CBs gave up a 8-10yd cushion on almost every down. The difference between this year and last year from what I remember is the safties alignment. Last year they played close to the LOS. Helping to Take away the passes in the middle of the field that natuarlly the CBs can't get to becuase they are 10yds away and the LBs can't get to becuase they aren't as fast. Now they are 15+ yds off the LOS and it seems like we are looking for our 2 slow LBs, and 1 inexperienceed rookie to stop everything from screens, slants, seam routes, in routes, etc... Which as we see it won't work.

And another thing I think is affecting our defensive play besides the scheme is missing leadership. Dunbar was our defensive leader from game 1. He always set the tone for us... As much as rams fans like jl55 and long, (I have never really cared either way about them cuz to me they are nothing more than solid to good players, but the best we have at both positions) they are not leaders. To me a leader is a motivator and has an IT factor... Like whatever IT is... It will pop out at you. If I'm on my couch watching you I should see IT, feel IT, when u talk. No one has IT on this D or this team for that matter. Maybe one of these rookies have it but its just to early to tell.

Yeah I think not having the outspoken leader likeRay Lewis is bad. JL is like my brother, after seeing him on the Jeff fisher show. Soft spoken, "cool", says what he has to, nothing more.

Could the D leader be Quinn? Long I would think has the personality for it but we haven't seen the "Ray Lewis factor" yet

Memphis Ram

Legend
Methinks another difference between this year and last year is the QBs the team have faced. So far this year they've gone against experienced guys like Palmer, Ryan, and Romo who took advantage of the soft scheme. No different than last year when guys like Rodgers and Brady did the same thing.

Like last year, the Rams need more Fitzpatricks, Sanchezs, Kolbs, Smith, and/or young guys like Lindleys, Ponders, Wilsons, and Kaepernicks to have success playing their soft bend and pray not to break scheme.

fearsomefour

Legend
fastcat said:

I agree with everything you said.
The S playing up not only helped with covering the short stuff and passing lanes but also helped with run support and disguising blitzes.
It looks very vanilla to me so far.
I heard a guy on the radio say that every D has weaknesses and that ALL of the Rams weaknesses were exposed at once vs. Dallas. Young safetys, DEs who are soft vs. the run, fits of bad tackling and playing soft CBs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
Methinks another difference between this year and last year is the QBs the team have faced. So far this year they've gone against experienced guys like Palmer, Ryan, and Romo who took advantage of the soft scheme. No different than last year when guys like Rodgers and Brady did the same thing.

Like last year, the Rams need more Fitzpatricks, Sanchezs, Kolbs, Smith, and/or young guys like Lindleys, Ponders, Wilsons, and Kaepernicks to have success playing their soft bend and pray not to break scheme.
Yep. Something tells me man coverage would have looked a lot worse this year too, in terms of big plays. I know moving the ball with ease is difficult to see against this D, but not nearly as bad as seeing games like the one where Flacco and Smith just beat the living shit out of Justin King. This young defense isn't ready to face veteran QBs on good teams like that mano a mano. But they will be.

V3

Hall of Fame
Memphis Ram said:

I'm not sure I agree with that because the lesser QB's like Sanchez, Ponder, etc still managed to kill us. We lost against the Jets and Vikings. I think Tannehill even had a good game against us and he was a rookie. Maybe I'm not remembering some things from those game? It's been a while.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
X said:
Yep. Something tells me man coverage would have looked a lot worse this year too, in terms of big plays. I know moving the ball with ease is difficult to see against this D, but not nearly as bad as seeing games like the one where Flacco and Smith just beat the living shyte out of Justin King. This young defense isn't ready to face veteran QBs on good teams like that mano a mano. But they will be.

Yea, that all sounds good. But, when the Cowgirls drive like they did yesterday over and over again for a score, something has to change.

If they want to come out in this defense, which is supposed to let offenses shoot themselves in the food, and then switch when it's not working, that's fine. But, playing it until you're down big and not getting third down stops....... :x

Memphis Ram

Legend
V3 said:
Memphis Ram said:

I'm not sure I agree with that because the lesser QB's like Sanchez, Ponder, etc still managed to kill us. We lost against the Jets and Vikings. I think Tannehill even had a good game against us and he was a rookie. Maybe I'm not remembering some things from those game? It's been a while.

Yeah Sanchez was 15 of 20 for 178 yards passing and a TD. But, a couple scores came on short drives after a couple of Rams fumbles.

And Ponder was 17 of 24 for 131 yards passing. But it was Adrian Peterson and turnovers that really did the Rams in.

Tannehill? 21 or 29 for 185 yards and 2 TDs.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Memphis Ram said:

When the Rams get to the playoffs there won't be Fitzpatricks, Sanchezs, Kolbs, et al.

They are going to have to beat the guys like Matt Ryan and Tony Romo for them to be a serious playoff contender; if not this year next year for sure.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
Memphis Ram said:

When the Rams get to the playoffs there won't be Fitzpatricks, Sanchezs, Kolbs, et al.

They are going to have to beat the guys like Matt Ryan and Tony Romo for them to be a serious playoff contender; if not this year next year for sure.

Playoff's? Playoff's?

RustyRay

Rookie
Last year

The D was mixed up much better then they are now...Its alarming to me that on third and six the cbs drop ten yards off...thats too easy for a good qb..

The Rams seem to be playing a ton of softer zone stuff...and instead of finding the people or WR who enter their zone they are staring into the backfield and watching eyes...and they are getting moved and fooled.

Last year the D did a way better job of taking things away and they made QBs hold the ball...no such luck this year. They are way off the ball and they are just giving things away and the pass rush has no chance to be effective.

They have given up some big plays this year when trying to match up and bring pressure as well...The long ball to Floyd on Finnegan, the TD to Fitz on Finnegan.

The long ball to Julio Jones on Janoris Jenkins, and then this weekend to Witten over the top of Grandpa Spoon....even though I am not sure it was his fault...needed a TO there with all the confusion.

I would like to see them rush four or five and man up outside and drop the LBs into zones...just tighten it up some..or when they run the zone stuff be more aware of who is in the zone your covering and stop being fooled by the QBs eyes...these vet QBs are great at it.

I also think the Rams D is pressing now...trying to do too much and not just worrying about what each individual part is supposed to do...when you do that it breaks down and it is and has.

One other huge thing is the loss of Dunbar, he is / was a tone setter...and he brought the wood and intensity that the entire team is missing now. They were sleep walking yesterday...I sure hope the contract is ready for Dunbar to sign as soon as this week 4 is over.

Kerry Rhodes would help the S play immensely as well...think I saw someone post on him earlier today...He is a nice talent and he is a vet who wont get fooled as easy as the young guys. I think the Rams do miss Mikell..

jjab360

Legend
fastcat said:
And another thing I think is affecting our defensive play besides the scheme is missing leadership. Dunbar was our defensive. Leader from game 1. He always set the tone for us... As much as rams fans like jl55 and long, (I have never really cared either way about them cuz to me they are nothing more than solid to good players, but the best we have at both positions) they are not leaders. To me a leader is a motivator and has an IT factor... Like whatever IT is... It will pop out at you. If I'm on my couch watching you I should see IT, feel IT, when u talk. No one has IT on this D or this team for that matter. Maybe one of these rookies have it but its just to early to tell.

I disagree on Long not being a leader. I've seen him get in guys' faces on the sideline and he's the guy that usually leads the huddle and gets everyone amped up in pregame. As for a future leader on D, look for Mcdonald and Mcleod to really show up in that regard. Both of these guys were team leaders in college and know what it takes to be a leader of men. You can tell from their mic'd ups on the Rams website and their overall demeanor in interviews.

On O, Jake Long has always been a great leader, Barrett Jones really owned Alabama during his time there, even moreso than Mcelroy, and don't underestimate Bradford in this regard just because he doesn't throw temper tantrums like Brady. He's a perfectionist and understands the importance of taking charge of the huddle and getting guys to do their job. He seems to be naturally pretty reserved, but he isn't shy and knows the balance between being one of the guys and being in charge of the guys.