Did Patriots bend the rules on ineligible receivers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I saw it on the replay the defense was informed that he was ineligible. If the defense was not prepare for that and could have called a TO. They did not. It is not the officials job to make it easier for one team or another.
But it is their responsibility to see that the basic rules are obeyed. The Patriots, by delaying telling the refs who was ineligible til just before the snap, denied the spirit of the rule.

And I'd ask you, how many defensive players actually saw the ref indicate who was ineligible? I mean, the ref may have pointed at the player, but how far away from the player was he?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So did New England just send out only 4 OLs and an extra skill player, then varied whichever skill player reported as ineligible then?

Because otherwise, I don't get how they managed to do this without substituting.

Yep. That's exactly what they did.

And they'd break the huddle, have their guy tell the ref it who would announce it while the Patriots were hurrying to the LOS to snap it.

@blackbart is right. Baltimore should have called a timeout. Patriots pulled a fast one. Were they purposefully trying to bend the rules to be deceptive? Yes. Did they break the rules? No.

Would I have applauded Fisher for doing the same thing? Yes.

I know I applauded him when we brought Amendola over to the sidelines but never took him off the field for that fake FG TD a couple years ago. That was deception.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would probably care more if it wasn't against Harbaugh.
Both Harbaugh brothers are crybabies. They remind me of the Bush brothers in Nascar. Fucking annoying.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
But it is their responsibility to see that the basic rules are obeyed. The Patriots, by delaying telling the refs who was ineligible til just before the snap, denied the spirit of the rule.

And I'd ask you, how many defensive players actually saw the ref indicate who was ineligible? I mean, the ref may have pointed at the player, but how far away from the player was he?
On the replay I saw he was about 5 feet away from the guy reporting. Same as when a lineman reports he is eligible.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
On the replay I saw he was about 5 feet away from the guy reporting. Same as when a lineman reports he is eligible.
Realistically, most defenses, just before the snap, are getting their assignments right.

But I agree Harbaugh should have called a TO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No Way! Certainly, the Patriots would NEVER bend the rules!
Sorry, but on this one, I'll go with NE, " If there 'aint no rule against it, It's legal!" Don't 'Bitch' because you got beat! ( Remember, the Head-Slap was legal before they Out-Lawed it!)

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/01/...s-clearly-deception-brady-says-figure-it-out/

Harbaugh Says Belichick’s Formations ‘Clearly Deception'; Brady Says ‘Figure It Out’

By Michael Hurley, CBS BostonJanuary 10, 2015 9:58 PM

You've Earned Points for Reading!Claim points in our Reward Center, and earn more tomorrow.gamebetween the Patriots and Ravens on Saturday evening at Gillette Stadium featured a number of bizarre and unbelievable twists and turns. Among them was a rarely seen strategy employed by Tom Brady’s offense, one that helped the Patriots climb back to cut a 14-point deficit in half, and one that had Ravens head coach John Harbaugh furious on the sideline.

The strategy in question involved Bill Belichick’s offense employing four offensive linemen instead of the standard five on a number of plays midway through the third quarter. Running back Shane Vereen lined up off the right side of the formation, and he declared himself an ineligible receiver. In essence, Vereen had become the fifth lineman, though with considerably different duties.

Referee Bill Vinovich announced to the stadium that Vereen was ineligible, yet the Ravens employed at least one defender to cover him as he sprinted backward from the line of scrimmage after the snap. Michael Hoomanwanui was left open on the other side of the field, and he picked up a 16-yard reception. Two plays later, Hoomanawanui declared himself ineligible. Brady connected with Julian Edelman for a gain of 11. And once more, Vereen declared himself ineligible, with Vinovich actually announcing that the Ravens should not cover No. 34. The Ravens, however, didcover No. 34, which allowed Brady to connect with Hoomanwanui for another 14 yards.

In the middle of that sequence, the Ravens were penalized for having too many men on the field, as the team was clearly confused by the strategy that few football viewers had ever seen before. And it was after that 14-yard gain by Hoomanwanui that Harbaugh lost his composure and drew a 5-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Two plays later, Brady threw a touchdown to Rob Gronkowski, cutting the Ravens’ lead to 28-21. The Patriots went on to win 35-31.

After the season-ending loss, Harbaugh said he believes the NFL will investigate the strategy used by Belichick and how the on-field officials handled it.

“Yeah, a substitution type of trick,” Harbaugh said. “Normally, you get an opportunity to, [the officials will] give you a chance to make the proper substitutions and things like that. It’s not something that anybody’s ever done before. So maybe the league will look at that type of thing and I’m sure that they’ll make some adjustments and things like that.”

Harbaugh continued: “We wanted an opportunity to be able to ID who the eligible players were, because what they were doing was they would announce the ineligible player and then Tom would take them to the line right away and snap the ball before we had a chance to even figure out who was lined up where. And that was the deception part of it, and it was clearly deception.”

Harbaugh said the officials told him after the fact that they would give him the proper time to make substitutions, but Brady’s offense never again pulled the move.

“They probably should have [given us that opportunity to substitute] during that series, but they probably didn’t understand what was happening,” Harbaugh asserted. “That’s why I had to go take a penalty to get their attention so that they would understand what was going on. Because they didn’t understand what was going on. And they said that was the right thing, that they would give us a chance to ID the eligible receivers so that we could actually get them covered. That’s why guys were open, because we couldn’t ID where the eligible receivers were at.”

Harbaugh reiterated: “Nobody’s ever seen that before.”

When told of the confusion his offense bestowed upon the opposing coach, a victorious Brady was not in an apologetic mood.

“Well [the league] will look at it, then,” Brady said. “I don’t know what’s deceiving about that. They should figure it out.”

When asked about the specifics of the strategy, Brady said, “I don’t know. Who knows? Maybe those guys gotta study the rule book and figure it out. We obviously knew what we were doing and we made some pretty important plays. It was a real good weapon for us.”

Predictably, Belichick didn’t offer much insight into the thought process.

“It’s a play that we thought would work,” Belichick said. “We ran it three times, a couple different looks. We had six eligible receivers on the field, but only five were eligible. The one who was ineligible reported that he was ineligible. No different than on the punt team or a situation like that.”

While Josh McDaniels runs the offense and has tremendous control of play-calling, it’s safe to assume that such a rarely seen strategy could not have been used without Bill Belichick’s careful guidance. The future Hall of Fame coach has a tremendous grasp on the history of the game as well as little-known rules (Doug Flutie drop kick, anybody?), and it stands to reason that the coach kept such a trick in his back pocket for just the right time.

And this was, assuredly, the right time. Starting center Bryan Stork had left the game with a knee injury, and the often-overmatched Josh Kline was tasked with protecting Brady as an interior lineman. The Patriots, after rallying from a 14-0 deficit to tie the game, once again trailed by two touchdowns, and they needed a spark. With the season on the line, the smart move — or tricky deception, depending on your perspective — proved to be perfect.

UPDATE: A league official told ESPN.com that the plays and formations ran by the Patriots were legal.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
264jgqf.jpg

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/..._on_ineligible_receiver_formation_id_say_that

Bill Belichick on ineligible receiver formation: 'I'd say that happens every week'
By Adam Kurkjian

One of the more heavily discussed topics in the aftermath of the Patriots' 35-31 win over the Baltimore Ravens on Saturday was New England's use of a four offensive linemen formation in which a skill position player lined up on the line of scrimmage and reported himself as ineligible.

The tactic — used on a touchdown drive that brought the Patriots to within 28-21 in the third quarter — angered Ravens coach John Harbaugh, who complained that his team wasn't given enough time to identify the ineligible receivers. He also added that the strategy had never been used before.

Asked about the origin of the set of plays during a conference call, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said he pulled the idea from another team in the league.

"It’s a play that, it’s a situation that I saw another team use, kind of," Belichick said. "We talked about it and thought about ways to put some pressure on the defense with that type of, that concept of having more receivers on the field than were actually eligible. To make them ineligible instead of ineligible guys eligible, go the other way around, so we came up with a few ideas."

He added: "The origin of that play was from the NFL. What they did, it sparked some ideas so we did what we did."

Belichick bristled at the notion that the league could look into the matter further and have that type of play officiated differently, as Harbaugh suggested after the game.

"Like what?" Belichick said twice when asked how adjustments could be made in that regard.

"I don’t know what you’re talking about," he said. "I mean, that happens all the time. You come in on a punt team, ineligible guys report as eligible. They line up as guards and tackles on the punt team. The center, the center’s numbers in the NFL are eligible players that report ineligible. Then they cover punts. We’ve seen it on offense.

We see it particularly a lot on special teams, the kicking game, punting game — not so much on the field goals because you have your linemen protecting there. But I’d say it happens every game on the punt team. You’re allowed to do that. I don’t really understand what the question is. If you want to talk about the rules, you should talk to the NFL rules people about that. They’ll tell you about it."

According to Belichick, it's a more common practice than it has been made out to be.

"Yeah. I think you see it every week," he said. "I’d venture to say I couldn’t remember a time that I haven’t seen that, having a receiver report as an ineligible player in the National Football League. I’d say that happens every week."

When asked if he had any comment on Harbaugh's comments from Saturday night, Belichick kept it brief.

"No."

Belichick remained coy when asked why StephenGostkowski came out with the punting unit at one point before RyanAllen eventually took his usual duty.

"I’d rather not talk about that play, obvious reasons," Belichick said. "We’ll let everyone else figure out what we’re doing."

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I call BS. So what if a receiver reports ineligible? It's the tactics used to deceive the defense. Obviously, 4 seconds isn't enough time to ID the ineligible receiver.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I'm sooooo freaking tired of Belicheat and the Cheatriots. It's representative of what's wrong with American now. Everything is spun. Everything is gamed. No one plays within the spirit of the rules. And the public get chumped.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Except that the Raven's defense was barely given 3-4 seconds to ID the ineligible receiver, after already assigning coverage to that RB. In retrospect, perhaps Harbaugh should have called TO.
Yup and then he should have argued to get the timeout back

Irish

Starter
Honestly, I think its brilliant. I love when coaches think outside the box.

I hope every team employs subterfuge like this going forward. Growing within the rules of the game is good for the game.