Did Inglewood cook its books to lure the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-inglewood-whistleblower-20160524-snap-story.html

Inglewood cooked its books to lure NFL team, former accounting manager says
By Angel Jennings

600x338

Inglewood Mayor James Butts, left, greets Rams owner Stan Kroenke at a news conference in January at the Forum welcoming the team back to Los Angeles. (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

The lure of the NFL was just too much for Inglewood, a former city employee charges in a federal lawsuit.

Barbara Ohno, Inglewood's former budget and accounting manager, claims that the future home of the Los Angeles Rams massaged its accounting books to mask its financial problems.

In the complaint, Ohno says that Mayor James T. Butts ordered employees to "create a facade of financial responsibility and well-being for the city" as it competed against Carson to house one of three football teams looking to relocate to the Los Angeles area.

NFL team owners ultimately voted in January to return the Rams to Southern California, to play in a new stadium on the site of the old Hollywood Park racetrack in Inglewood. The stadium, projected to open in 2019, will be the league's largest in square footage.

But, according to Ohno, to improve the city's chances of winning the NFL team derby, officials padded the general fund, according to a 48-page complaint filed last week with the U.S. District Court.

The city allegedly used restricted federal and state grant money to pay for daily operational costs and used money seized from federal crime enforcement operations that was meant to cover police-related expenses.

300x169

“On a regular basis, the City, at the direction of Defendant Mayor Butts, violated the rules of the program by tapping into the Asset Forfeiture Fund to pay for unauthorized expenses, again because there was insufficient money in the General Fund to cover such expenses,” the lawsuit states.

Butts said that the claims were "totally baseless and without any merit."

"The city undergoes rigorous and thorough audits by an outside audit firm," he said in a statement. "We are proud of the improvements made during my tenure in not only improving its reserves, but our financial reporting procedures.”

Ohno was a probationary employee who was released prior to the completion of her probationary period, he said.

"The attempt to connect her separation with the efforts to secure an NFL franchise are clearly contrived and false," he added. "During the 2 1/2-year relocation process, the city was never required to present financial data to the NFL."

If the city were asked to turn over financial records, Butts said, they would reveal that the city has almost quadrupled its reserves, eliminated $164 million in unfunded liabilities and vastly improved public services.

Butts offered up a Moody's Investor Service report from January that gave Inglewood an A1 credit rating, an upper-medium grade with low credit risk.

"The financial position of the city is robust and is a notable strength when compared to its A1 ratings," the report said.

Ohno alleges that Inglewood's accounting books showed Inglewood received money owed to the city when there were no receipts or agreements that corroborated actual payment.

Additionally, the city "regularly and knowingly fostered, ordered and engaged in faulty financial and accounting practices, fraudulent regulatory reporting and reclassification of costs to depict a favorable, but false, financial picture of the city's general fund and overall fiscal responsibility," Ohno alleges in the lawsuit.

Ohno said she brought the matter to the attention of her supervisors, David Esparza, who oversees the city's finance department, and Sharon Koike, the assistant finance director. She said they refused to take action. Ultimately, Ohno said, she was threatened with termination unless she fell in line with the city's plan.

The city was already in the process of transforming the old Hollywood Park racetrack into a residential and commercial district, and Rams owner Stan Kroenke was flirting with the idea of moving the team from St. Louis to Los Angeles. Early last year, Butts announced that Kroenke would build an 80,000-seat NFL-caliber stadium next to the former racetrack. The construction of the stadium was expected to create 22,000 jobs, with almost a third projected to be local hires, according to the lawsuit.

A month later, Carson announced that it was planning to build an NFL stadium to be used jointly by the San Diego Chargers and the Oakland Raiders. Over the next year, each city angled to position itself as the best suited for one or more NFL teams. Each voted to fast-track the approval of a stadium, bypassing lengthy environmental reports, and tried to cast doubt on the other's proposals.

Carson commissioned a study in which a former head of the U.S. Homeland Security Department expressed "safety and security concerns" with Inglewood's stadium site being in the direct flight path of L.A. International Airport.

Butts said that landing an NFL team would be a big boon for the city's image and bank accounts. Sunday football games and off-season events would bring in millions in tax revenue. The construction of the stadium was already projected to bring in $15 million in sales tax revenue in 2016-17 and $25 million each year after, the lawsuit said.

Once completed, a new entertainment center surrounding the stadium has been projected to create 12,000 full- and part-time jobs.

Ohno alleges in her lawsuit that the city was counting on winning the NFL team derby.

"Defendant Mayor Butts and the City were overconfident that as soon as an NFL team was awarded to the City, millions upon millions of dollars would befall the City which would enable the City to conceal the financial and accounting improprieties before the NFL, the public, or the federal government, would notice," the lawsuit alleges.

Ohno, a former auditor with Deloitte & Touche, said the mayor labeled her a "troublemaker." She said she was told she had failed her probationary period and fired last June after working for the city for 10 months.

She is suing the city, Butts, Esparza, and Koike for unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for the alleged violation of her constitutional right of free speech and wrongful termination.

“I was told to stand down, look the other way and be a team player because when Inglewood got the Rams, there would be so much money coming in, no one would care how the city ran its finances,” Ohno said in a statement. “I refused to comply with what I was told was the ‘plantation mentality’ in Inglewood and got fired for it.”

angel.jennings@latimes.com

Former Inglewood employee claims books were cooked to lure NFL team
Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2016

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ee-claims-books-were-cooked-to-lure-nfl-team/

As the Rams return to L.A. and prepare to eventually move into a swanky new home in Inglewood, a new vehicle has emerged for potentially peeling back the curtain on exactly how the deal got done.

Regardless of its ultimate merit, a federal lawsuit filed by Inglewood’s former budget and accounting manager could result in the public disclosure of plenty of documents and information and testimony and other stuff that Inglewood, the Rams, and/or the NFL would prefer the public not see.

Butts strongly denied the allegations, claiming that “[t]he city undergoes rigorous and thorough audits by an outside audit firm.” Butts also pointed out that Ohno was simply a probationary employee who was let go before her probationary period ended.

Of course, her status won’t matter, if Ohno can prove that her job ended because, for example, she complained internally about irregularities like the alleged use of the Asset Forfeiture Fund for unauthorized expenses. In most American jurisdictions, employees of public and private institutions are protected against retaliation for raising concerns that the employer would prefer to not be raised, by anyone at any time.

Ohno alleges that Butts labeled her a “troublemaker,” which is one of the ingredients for proving improper retaliation.

“I was told to stand down, look the other way and be a team player because when Inglewood got the Rams, there would be so much money coming in, no one would care how the city ran its finances,” Ohno said in a statement, via the Times.

The lawsuit primarily will focus on: (1) exploring the accounting details; and (2) developing evidence (such as email messages and texts) showing that Ohno complained about financial issues and/or that Butts raised concerns about her complaints.

Along the way, email or other communications between the city, the Rams, and the NFL could come to light. Thanks to the defect in human nature that routinely results in people reducing to writing things they’d never say while sitting in a witness box, it makes sense for every media outlet in Southern California to scour each and every document filed in court throughout the life of Ohno’s lawsuit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly stopped reading the article and not sure what it's overall purpose is. Kroenke wanted to build in Inglewood for the location not for any particular strength or weakness of the city's government.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I couldn't get through it either. Sounded like a disgruntled employee trying some b.s. to get paid.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Don't matter, Kroenke woulda moved the team there regardless. Dont matter if she is full of shit(most likely) or not.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It would not surprise me if true. Santa Clara already has fisher business going on now. The Whiners want their rent decreased by $5 Mill a year and all of a sudden the mayor resigns.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay Barbara Ohno, the books were cooked, but Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke is paying for everything?
giphy.gif

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Yeah, I couldn't get through it either. Sounded like a disgruntled employee trying some b.s. to get paid.

My thoughts as well...This was about Kroenke , it had zero to do with the solvency of Inglewood, as far as I can tell...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How can you sue, if you're fired during the probationary period? I thought you could be fired for almost anything...no questions asked...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
How can you sue, if you're fired during the probationary period? I thought you could be fired for almost anything...no questions asked...

Too many lawyers chasing too few cases with my humblest apologies to our very own @jrry32

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thoughts as well...This was about Kroenke , it had zero to do with the solvency of Inglewood, as far as I can tell...

While Kroenke is building the actual stadium, is Inglewood supposed to enhance the surrounding infrastructure - expanding sewer lines and water lines, widening roads, etc?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think the city could legally fire her for reporting unlawful conduct.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While Kroenke is building the actual stadium, is Inglewood supposed to enhance the surrounding infrastructure - expanding sewer lines and water lines, widening roads, etc?
The original financing plans called for Kroenke to pay for the upgraded infrastructure with the possibility of being repaid some if tax revenues reached a certain level.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

As far as I know any govt job can let you go during a probationary period without giving any reason....Just adios, you don't work here any longer...I worked for the Feds, (Postal Service) that's the way it was there...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as I know any govt job can let you go during a probationary period without giving any reason....Just adios, you don't work here any longer...I worked for the Feds, (Postal Service) that's the way it was there...

That may normally be true - but there are special protections for whistle blowers. I haven't looked into the details, but that may be the argument being made.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think the city could legally fire her for reporting unlawful conduct.

That may normally be true - but there are special protections for whistle blowers. I haven't looked into the details, but that may be the argument being made.

Did the whistle blowing happen before or after the firing. I read this story elsewhere and it was not very clear.

As to a local government cooking the books to land an NFL franchise that could lead to them getting out of the hole?
After having dealt with local governments and the desperation of meeting budgets, there is no surprise here. However, the grants system in PA is filled with checks and balances. Nobody could use that money on anything other than what it is intended for. If it is the same in California then that part is BS.