Did anyone notice...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
How good Saffold played when he moved to LT when Jake went down? This came as little surprise to me as I've never questioned his athleticism or technique (its been the other nagging thing). This is not to say he was bad at RG either, he's been great there filling in for Dahl.

I think Long was a solid pickup in the offseason, and for the most part he's been very solid. He does well against speed rushers, but if there's one weakness I've seen its vs the bull rush. Aldon Smith had a pretty mean one today (& so did Ware earlier this year) and he was pushing Jake pretty well. But Roger came in and I remember one particular play where he stood his ground took Smith's best move and then proceded to push him backwards.

Imo Roger is EASILY our most versatile lineman, being capable of playing 4 positions and maybe even all 5 if we ever needed him at C. It would be great to have him back next year at a reasonable salary to be the swing tackle and compete for a guard position.

ALSO...

I didn't watch him every play, but I think Tim Barnes may compete to be our center of the future with Barrett Jones. I thought he was much better than Jones in camp (although Jones was still healing) and he was solid in limited action in 2012. He doesn't wow you with strength or range, but he gets the job done. I didn't see any obvious lapses by him today and from what I saw he did pretty well.

Fans complained about the pressure in Clemens face today. Most of it was from the interior, but particularly Chris Williams (all day) and Shelly Smith when Roger bounced outside. Long & Saffold along with Barksdale (did we hear Brooks' name today?) did a good job riding the speedy edge rushers of SF past Clemens.

Anyways, just my 2 pennies

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Saffold earned himself a healthy payday today. There is no question he can play as well as if not better than any OL on the Rams roster at 4 of the 5 positions. Would love for him to want to be back to play for Fisher or win a ring or what ever reason it takes to keep him in horns.

OhioRam

Rookie
How long did he play? like 6 or 8 mins?
Jake didn't go down till late in the forth.
And the game was pretty much over at that point.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
How long did he play? like 6 or 8 mins?
Jake didn't go down till late in the forth.
And the game was pretty much over at that point.
He started at RG, then moved to LT. That's a full day.

OhioRam

Rookie
Yes but they were talking about his work at OT that was just a few mins

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Of course Barnes did well he is from M-I-Z-Z-O-U!!!!!!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm pretty sure JL went down in the 3rd, but the point is that Saffold did a good job at RG and then LT plus he has done well at RT when playing at that position as well.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
The guys versatile for sure, but he wants to play LT, is a damn good LT and will get paid like one in the off season. For better or worse we have Long which means saffold is gone.
His play of late does not erase all of the injuries he's had over his years in horns. All he's doing is increasing the size of his next contract by playing so well at so many spots.