Did Alshon Jeffery contract just set the market for Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't know if he is even in the top 5 for priorities for me on the contract front.

I wanted him to be THAT guy but he isn't and I don't know if he ever will be. I don't see this offense having one guy that is getting enough of the targets to get that kind of contract and I don't see the red zone production to say he's the man down there. A couple of scores on slants but they never throw a fade his way or anything where he is going up to fight for the ball.

From what I have seen I'm not sure he knows how to high point the ball. Just last week he had an opportunity and instead waited for the ball to come down and it got tipped away by the DB.

If he wants that kind of contract let someone else pay him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it is down to either Donald or Watkins.........bye bye Sammy hello cheap contract Reynolds
I’m a huge Watkins fan and really hope we can keep him. However if this is the case I’ll pack his bags and drive him to the airport myself

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why would it be down to that ? Donald will be under contract with his 5'th year option next season, Watkins could become a free agent following this season.

Donald wants a new contract now and is likely to get it. He has earned it and the Rams know it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
there is a cap limit, and it's not AD vs the OL, it's AD vs the whole team
train
There's plenty of cap to pay AD this off season and keep the OLine intact. We can pay AD without cutting anybody. It might cost us TruJo or Watkins though but there's slim chance of that. If there is the standard $10 million increase in cap we'll be looking at $53 million next year. AD is signed for next year but I'd imagine part of the plan is to pay him some bonuses next year to lessen further years impact when guys like Goff, Gurley and our current rookie class work into their 2nd contracts. Take say $20 million off for AD(ballpark large number) and add for rookie contracts say $8 million ( a little high since we don't have a 2nd and have multiple 6ths) we're now looking at $25 million. We have a little over $5 million we can roll over and we're looking at $30 millon.

LaMarcus Joyner has probably earned his way into a sizable pay raise maybe $6-8 million.
Sullivan another $1 Million
Robey-Coleman? Perhaps $2-3 million?
I keep seeing people say about $10 million for Sammy so we'll ball park there.
TruJo? Maybe $12 million?

Resigning AD, our rookies and those 5 veterans just off quick math puts us about $1 to 3 million over the cap. That's without cutting anybody and we all know there are crowd favorites to cut or trade or restructure.

Just for this exercise I'm pointing out numbers please don't get your panties in a bunch anybody (not directed at you NT) I'm just putting the numbers out not advocating cutting anybody.

Tavon if done by the 3rd day of the league year would carry absolutely no cap hit and save $3 million this year (yes that's all his base is but he has a $5 million bonus due on day 3 of the league year) and over $9 million each of the last 3 years.

Quinn if done also by the 3rd day of the league year would only carry a cap hit of $1 million and save us about $10 million each of the last 2 years.

Mark Barron also has a bonus on the 3rd day of the league year of $2 million. That would leave us with a cap hit of $1 million and save us $9 million this year and $8 million his last 2 years of the deal.

Not touching Tree because it's not realistic to cut or trade a guy this current regime extended and the rest don't do much for the cap.

Anyways long winded response but there's tons of money and in reality we only need to cut or restructure one guy to make all our dreams come true.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All aboard the Wayback Machine for a good laugh. Sure, all of us at times get things wrong about draft picks and trades for free agents but this guy and others get paid to do this. Barnwell also gave Vikings WR Adam Thielen a C+.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...barnwell-grades-big-2017-free-agent-deals-nfl

WR Robert Woods, Rams
Grade: D+

After Marquise Goodwin picked up two years and $8 million from the 49ers Wednesday, the league's primal urge to sign non-Sammy Watkins receivers away from the Bills hit a fever pitch on Thursday with the Woods signing. Los Angeles committed five years and $39 million for Woods to replace Kenny Britt in their lineup, including $15 million guaranteed.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-grading-every-deal-of-2017-nfl-free-agency

WR ROBERT WOODS TO LOS ANGELES RAMS
Actual: Five years, $39 million, $15 million guaranteed

PFF play-earned contract: Five years, $18 million, $6.2 million guaranteed

Grade: D

The Rams are again paying big money to a receiver that has yet to come close to producing at that level. Robert Woods joins Tavon Austin as players never to have topped 700 receiving yards in their careers as big-money Rams receivers. Woods has flashed the ability to do more, but those flashes have done very well to see those contract numbers.

WR KENNY BRITT TO CLEVELAND BROWNS
Actual: Four years, $32.5 million, $17 million guaranteed

PFF play-earned contract: Four years, $25.6 million, $7.4 million guaranteed

Grade: B :palm:

Kenny Britt notched over 1,000 yards last season with a combination of Case Keenum and Jared Goff throwing him the football. That alone makes it hard to question the contract he got, but that was the best season of his career, and as a No. 1 target, he has some limitations.

Haha, fuck me. It was funny when it happened but now, hilarious.

Shit for brains flood the nfl media.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of them only know how to read a box score.

probably because most of them would have started as fantasy football reporters for fantasy football sites. the curse of fantasy football, alot of people know stats but have no idea about actual real football. probably never watch a game from start to finish. most likely just watch the red zone channel.