Did Alshon Jeffery contract just set the market for Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As good as Donald is, even GOAT good, I believe we'd be idiots too sign him long term for a record sum of money a year before necessary.
Ndamukong Suh signed a 6 year, $114,375,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, $59,955,000 guaranteed, ... and by all reports Donald has every intention of bettering this contract.
Not only is Donald or Suh NOT a QB, how many SuperBowls has Miami reached since Suh signed this contract two years ago ? Miami went 10 - 6 last year and are 4 - 7 this season, worse yet, they are in CAP hell for 2018 and in need of a QB.
Not only do we tie up a ridiculous amount of CAP dollars in a single player for matching or much more likely besting the Suh contract, we have an offensive minded HC who will be hamstrung trying to make any further improvements thru free agency, ... for years. Multiply this by the very real danger of injury, it doesn't come as an especially clever move. As an alternative, when we might have the very same player for 2018 at half his real value and in 2019 & 2020 as a franchise tagged player at a rate likely less than a new contract because he will be evaluated as a top 5 player rather than the overall # 1. Following this method we eliminate any incurred long term injury situations, and we can re-evaluate his skill set as he gets closer to 30 years of age.
jmo.

That's a great way to end up with another holdout, a pissed off star player, and a bunch of other guys on the team wondering why you're treating one of their brothers like that after he has played at a discount for years.

Good/great teams pay their guys who have earned it. Teams like the Redskins create a toxic situation.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That's a great way to end up with another holdout, a ticked off star player, and a bunch of other guys on the team wondering why you're treating one of their brothers like that after he was played at a discount for years.

Good/great teams pay their guys who have earned it. Teams like the Redskins create a toxic situation.

Those same players you express concern for are also in danger of completely losing a roster spot while trying to squeeze Donald under the CAP. I'm not worried about a McVay team creating a toxic environment, especially when the decision is ultimately in the hands of Demoff & Snead. When one guy is driving a Rolls Royce and his team-mate is driving a Pinto, that may actually create more of a toxic situation. The Redskins are 'toxic' from the ownership on down, not something for the Rams to worry over at the moment. jmo.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
When one guy is driving a Rolls Royce and his team-mate is driving a Pinto, that may actually create more of a toxic situation.

Especially if the Rolls barely taps the rear end of the Pinto, causing the Pinto to explode, killing both of them.
giphy.gif

Oh god, I'm sorry, sorry. Couldn't resist. Carry on, all. Again, my apologies.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If we hadn't wasted all that money on Tavon Austin last year (I loved that draft pick at the time), AD and SW vs. money wouldn't be such an issue.
I'm just hoping we didn't compound this mistake with what we gave to Ogletree this season. It would never reach the depths of what happened with Austin, but I thought it poor timing and excessive. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those same players you express concern for are also in danger of completely losing a roster spot while trying to squeeze Donald under the CAP. I'm not worried about a McVay team creating a toxic environment, especially when the decision is ultimately in the hands of Demoff & Snead. When one guy is driving a Rolls Royce and his team-mate is driving a Pinto, that may actually create more of a toxic situation. The Redskins are 'toxic' from the ownership on down, not something for the Rams to worry over at the moment. jmo.

Nah because the guy driving the Pinto thinks he'll get a chance to have his Rolls Royce when it becomes his turn to get paid. Not paying the guys that earned it reflect poorly on your organization.

They're going to have to squeeze Donald under the cap eventually. Better to do it now before you piss off one of your star players. It's abut respect.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The rams are paying AD. And if it means losing tavon and or Quinn, or Saffold, or tru or any combo of 2, maybe 3 of those players, then so be it. No team is gameplanning for any of those guys at this point. Wade says he's better then EVERYBODY, so pay the man. If the rams don't, they'll feel regret not felt since Philly in the 90s. God help us, and Goff, if he ever went to a division rival. You wanna call down the thunder and let AD walk after no contract this year? Then prepare for his return because HE'LL BE BRINGING HELL WITH HIM!!

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
IDK, but i want to have enough Cap space to protect Goff and the same line to block for Gurley, but i guess i'll leave this up to Demoff and Snead
train

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Nah because the guy driving the Pinto thinks he'll get a chance to have his Rolls Royce when it becomes his turn to get paid. Not paying the guys that earned it reflect poorly on your organization.

They're going to have to squeeze Donald under the cap eventually. Better to do it now before you tick off one of your star players. It's abut respect.

While we'd like to believe it's about respect, it's really about winning. The Rams are entering what is often a fairly small window of opportunity to get to the Big Show, and huge contracts which may stymie a teams future considerations can be dealt with, just ask Bill Belicheat, ... and I haven't heard many stories of him creating a toxic atmosphere. Respect is great, and I believe the Rams brought in a young first class HC which emphasizes both respect and a 'we not me' climate. The Rams want Donald, I do too, but i'm not willing to sacrifice our future for any single player, no matter how attached I may feel towards him. TEAM FIRST !

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The rams are paying AD. And if it means losing tavon and or Quinn, or Saffold, or tru or any combo of 2, maybe 3 of those players, then so be it. No team is gameplanning for any of those guys at this point. Wade says he's better then EVERYBODY, so pay the man. If the rams don't, they'll feel regret not felt since Philly in the 90s. God help us, and Goff, if he ever went to a division rival. You wanna call down the thunder and let AD walk after no contract this year? Then prepare for his return because HE'LL BRINGING HELL WITH HIM!!

LOL, If Donald is Wyatt Earp in your scenario, I'll take McVay as my Doc Holiday.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While we'd like to believe it's about respect, it's really about winning. The Rams are entering what is often a fairly small window of opportunity to get to the Big Show, and huge contracts which may stymie a teams future considerations can be dealt with, just ask Bill Belicheat, ... and I haven't heard many stories of him creating a toxic atmosphere. Respect is great, and I believe the Rams brought in a young first class HC which emphasizes both respect and a 'we not me' climate. The Rams want Donald, I do too, but i'm not willing to sacrifice our future for any single player, no matter how attached I may feel towards him. TEAM FIRST !

That's because Belicheat has typically either paid his guys or gotten rid of them. He doesn't waste time. Hell, they've actually gone through some of it this year because they didn't pay Malcolm Butler. So yea, even he's not immune.

Respect and winning are connected. The organizations that players want to play for are typically the ones that win.

nighttrain

Legend
IDK, but i want to have enough Cap space to protect Goff and the same line to block for Gurley, but i guess i'll leave this up to Demoff and Snead
train
after thinkin about this issue, i guess if i would have to choose between keeping AD, and keeping our offense together, well, it's time to trade AD in the offseason
train

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
after thinkin about this issue, i guess if i would have to choose between keeping AD, and keeping our offense together, well, it's time to trade AD in the offseason
train

We can wait a couple years on all that, if it really came down to it I'd wait at least until after his first franchise year was past, where we could still get two #1's as compensation, ... following our 2018 & 2019 Super Bowl wins. :LOL: jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
train

That's not the choice, my friend. Paying the OL and paying Donald aren't really connected.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
there is a cap limit, and it's not AD vs the OL, it's AD vs the whole team
train

Yea but AD is on defense. When you're evaluating who to pay, you're going to keep that in mind.

Either ways, AD isn't really relevant to this whole Watkins discussion. I'm still against paying Watkins like a top 10 WR before he plays like that. It's incredibly risky to pay on the basis of potential.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
All aboard the Wayback Machine for a good laugh. Sure, all of us at times get things wrong about draft picks and trades for free agents but this guy and others get paid to do this. Barnwell also gave Vikings WR Adam Thielen a C+.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...barnwell-grades-big-2017-free-agent-deals-nfl

WR Robert Woods, Rams
Grade: D+

After Marquise Goodwin picked up two years and $8 million from the 49ers Wednesday, the league's primal urge to sign non-Sammy Watkins receivers away from the Bills hit a fever pitch on Thursday with the Woods signing. Los Angeles committed five years and $39 million for Woods to replace Kenny Britt in their lineup, including $15 million guaranteed.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-grading-every-deal-of-2017-nfl-free-agency

WR ROBERT WOODS TO LOS ANGELES RAMS
Actual: Five years, $39 million, $15 million guaranteed

PFF play-earned contract: Five years, $18 million, $6.2 million guaranteed

Grade: D

The Rams are again paying big money to a receiver that has yet to come close to producing at that level. Robert Woods joins Tavon Austin as players never to have topped 700 receiving yards in their careers as big-money Rams receivers. Woods has flashed the ability to do more, but those flashes have done very well to see those contract numbers.

WR KENNY BRITT TO CLEVELAND BROWNS
Actual: Four years, $32.5 million, $17 million guaranteed

PFF play-earned contract: Four years, $25.6 million, $7.4 million guaranteed

Grade: B :palm:

Kenny Britt notched over 1,000 yards last season with a combination of Case Keenum and Jared Goff throwing him the football. That alone makes it hard to question the contract he got, but that was the best season of his career, and as a No. 1 target, he has some limitations.

TexasRam

Legend
Paying Donald doesn’t mean losing any Olineman. I’ve looked at the cap and we will have plenty of money to pay Donald and other key guys. We can rehash all the number last if people want to.

It won’t get thin until 3 years down the road when Goff wants to get paid in 2020, after shelling out for Gurley in 2019.

Quinn will come off the books this year, and with the salary cap rising and the Rams using a spread the ball approach at WR our cap situation should be solid.

We need to just draft some solid lineman and CB’s along the way.

Donald is worth every bit of 20 million plus per year. His impact is that of two pro bowl players.

nighttrain

Legend
Yea but AD is on defense. When you're evaluating who to pay, you're going to keep that in mind.

Either ways, AD isn't really relevant to this whole Watkins discussion. I'm still against paying Watkins like a top 10 WR before he plays like that. It's incredibly risky to pay on the basis of potential.
We totally agree, but i want to keep Watkins, his contract has to be based on more that just catches, he is the complete WRer
train