Did Alshon Jeffery contract just set the market for Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That looks about right.

I definitely want to retain Sammy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We'll see how much they value Watkins when the offseason comes around. He's a nice piece to have because he'll draw attention and that allows opportunities for other receivers. But if he's not getting number one targets is he really worth that kind of investment? Woods is obviously Goff's favorite receiver followed by Kupp.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is interesting, without knowing the final details and just guessing at a #13 million cap hit next year that puts them right now close to $18 million over the cap in 2018. Assuming a $10 M growth to the cap they're still considerably over the cap.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like the Rams have to resign him they gave up a CB and a 2nd rounder for him. I would probably do it now cause if he really ball out the rest of the way and in the playoffs that number is going to get higher

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Something is not quite “right” about the way Watkins is melding into this O.

Think about it. With this HC and this QB? He should be on fire.

I think that it is fair to say that we all expected a helluva lot more when we heard about the trade, right?

So.....

I need to see Watkins really blow things up in these next 5 games plus playoffs before I’m on board with a contract anywhere NEAR what Alshon just got.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I feel like the Rams have to resign him they gave up a CB and a 2nd rounder for him. I would probably do it now cause if he really ball out the rest of the way and in the playoffs that number is going to get higher

He hasn't been involved as much as we'd like, but players like him are made for the big stage. Its quite possible he could really step up in the playoffs as long as Goff trusts him. As far as long term, if he's just another one of the guys are they willing to invest what it would take to bring him back?

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Money could be better spent elsewhere. Woods and Kupp are good enough to hold down the top 2 receiver spots.

Spend a little less on a #3 receiver.

Receiver is the easiest position the field to find.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
His attitude adjustment is very promising but I'd like to see how his role and production play out this year before I throw a number out there.

One things for sure; Watkins contract is the number one priority on offense and reworking or eliminating tavons contract is second.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That looks about right.I definitely want to retain Sammy.
I am with you here on both these elements but thats way too much for what we have seen from him this season. Sammy has a damaged foot the Rams have gone to Serious lengths to assist him with this foot issue. Sammy is still fast but he does favor & limp many times due to that foot. I still want him in this offense but the Rams are loaded @ the receiver positions so there is no real need where there are big needs elsewhere.

Josh Reynolds came in last week & played very well for his first start. If Mike Thomas grows a mature brain to go with his talent we have two deep receivers there. Our 3 short to medium types of Woods, Cooper & Kupp can't get enough touches now. Our very young & talented TE's of Everett, Higbee, Hemingway & Mundt have not been broke in yet! Tons of potential here too.

Rams would be foolish to spend that much guaranteed $$ & long term capital on Sammy off what we have seen here into week #13. I have no problem with a one yr big contract to get some additional time in here to asses this matter more completely.

TexasRam

Legend
There is no way I am signing Watkins to a contract right now. He had another 3 big drops last week to add to a disappointing season thus far, and the main thing is the Rams have depth at WR.

You will need to sign Sullivan as first priority and a bunch of defensive players that are much bigger priority’s than Watkins. NRC, Joyner, Tru Etc

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jeffery > Watkins IMO. But yeah, that gives a nice sticker-shock look at what bringin Sammy back will cost.

I trust McVay on this tbh, but still am of the mind that Sammy will go after a big offer in an offense that will feature him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
His attitude adjustment is very promising but I'd like to see how his role and production play out this year before I throw a number out there.One things for sure; Watkins contract is the number one priority on offense and reworking or eliminating tavons contract is second.

I agree fully with your 1st point. On your 2nd & 3rd points I am not there fully.

On your 2nd point I see it diferently on Watkins being a No#1 priority in the offense....I see our OL unit having 6 OL'ers involved in FA'cy in 2018/2019.....thats my #1 priority the protection & comforting of Goff! You spend all those 52 plus millions & 28 million in guarantees it will cripple the Rams abilities to resign our 4 starters & 2 reserves. This is something I would not advocate or be willing to do myself! Can't throw deep to utilize Watkins if Goff does not have the time or is on his back.

On the 3rd TA point, I would agree & advocating the release of TA to save that 3 mil. However Rams still owe him 2 mil to cut. TA have proven valuable in the play action in our offense & helping Goff to figure out the right throws.Rams do not have a current replacement for TA in this element. TA does do that & anything to help Goff is a high priority. But 3 million saved to use elsewhere is something to ponder too.

nighttrain

Legend
There is no way I am signing Watkins to a contract right now. He had another 3 big drops last week to add to a disappointing season thus far, and the main thing is the Rams have depth at WR.

You will need to sign Sullivan as first priority and a bunch of defensive players that are much bigger priority’s than Watkins. NRC, Joyner, Tru Etc
idk but this is what i found out about watkins besides watching the games
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=27532
47 targets 1 drop on the season
train

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I would be willing to bet if the Rams front office new Kupp and Woods would play as well as they have that they never would have traded for Watkins.

Looking back at it a 2nd round pick was a lot to give up for a player that has been injury prone and will be a free agent after this season.

nighttrain

Legend
SW does his job when not catching the ball, seen countless times drawing two DB coverage, leaving Woods and Kupp one on one, while making downfield blocks
train
ps SW did quit on that route early in the season, but McVay talked to him and ever since been Ham and Jam
train

nighttrain

Legend
Woods signed in the off-season for 5 years, 35 mil, could see SW signing the same with like 20 mil bonus, spread over the 5 years, guarantees him money and sounds OK for the Rams

train