Dick Vermeil selected as Coach Finalist for Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dick Vermeil selected as Coach Finalist for Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022​

Former Rams head coach Dick Vermeil has been selected as the Coach Finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022, the Hall of Fame announced Tuesday. The selection of Vermeil, and former Raiders wide receiver Cliff Branch as the Senior Finalist, was made by a panel of Hall of Fame selectors in a virtual meeting.

"I am overwhelmed," Vermeil said upon hearing the news of his Finalist status from President and CEO of the Hall of Fame David Baker, via a video posted by the Hall of Fame to its Twitter account. "I'm not sure I belong there, because I know so many others that do."

Vermeil's "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams won Super Bowl XXIV 23-16 over the Titans, the culmination of a season in which they also went 13-3 and won the NFC West after finishing last in the division the previous year.

He also won Super Bowl XV with the Philadelphia Eagles, and won 120 regular season games overall between his time in Philadelphia, St. Louis and Kansas City, winning 10 or more games in a season six times.

The Coach Committee consists of nine members of the Hall of Fame's Selection Committee and considers coaches whose careers ended at least five years ago. The List of eligible candidates for the 2022 Coach Finalist initially was trimmed to seven names for discussion.

Per the release from the Hall of Fame, to be elected to the Hall of Fame, Branch and Vermeil must receive 80 percent voting support by the entire 49-member Selection Committee when it meets early next year (on a date to be determined) ahead of Super Bowl LVI. The Selection Committee will consider 18 finalists: the Senior (Branch), the Coach (Vermeil), a Contributor (to be named Tuesday, Aug. 31) and 15 Modern-Era Finalists (to be determined from a preliminary list announced in September, trimmed to 25 Semifinalists in November and to 15 Finalists in January).

Current bylaws dictate a class size no smaller than four nor larger than eight. Branch and Vermeil will be voted on for election independent of the other Finalists.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ummm, no.
"He also won Super Bowl XV with the Philadelphia Eagles, and won 120 regular season games overall between his time in Philadelphia, St. Louis and Kansas City, winning 10 or more games in a season six times."

Looks like a Gen Z dude wrote this...Must be @CGI_Ram

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Dick Vermeil selected as Coach Finalist for Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022​

Former Rams head coach Dick Vermeil has been selected as the Coach Finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022, the Hall of Fame announced Tuesday. The selection of Vermeil, and former Raiders wide receiver Cliff Branch as the Senior Finalist, was made by a panel of Hall of Fame selectors in a virtual meeting.

"I am overwhelmed," Vermeil said upon hearing the news of his Finalist status from President and CEO of the Hall of Fame David Baker, via a video posted by the Hall of Fame to its Twitter account. "I'm not sure I belong there, because I know so many others that do."

Vermeil's "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams won Super Bowl XXIV 23-16 over the Titans, the culmination of a season in which they also went 13-3 and won the NFC West after finishing last in the division the previous year.

He also won Super Bowl XV with the Philadelphia Eagles, and won 120 regular season games overall between his time in Philadelphia, St. Louis and Kansas City, winning 10 or more games in a season six times.

The Coach Committee consists of nine members of the Hall of Fame's Selection Committee and considers coaches whose careers ended at least five years ago. The List of eligible candidates for the 2022 Coach Finalist initially was trimmed to seven names for discussion.

Per the release from the Hall of Fame, to be elected to the Hall of Fame, Branch and Vermeil must receive 80 percent voting support by the entire 49-member Selection Committee when it meets early next year (on a date to be determined) ahead of Super Bowl LVI. The Selection Committee will consider 18 finalists: the Senior (Branch), the Coach (Vermeil), a Contributor (to be named Tuesday, Aug. 31) and 15 Modern-Era Finalists (to be determined from a preliminary list announced in September, trimmed to 25 Semifinalists in November and to 15 Finalists in January).

Current bylaws dictate a class size no smaller than four nor larger than eight. Branch and Vermeil will be voted on for election independent of the other Finalists.
Can't think of anyone more deserving than Vermeil. One of the greatest coaches of all time at every level of the game. And a great human being, especially after he backed off being so driven in his Philly years.

McVay or any coach could learn a lot from Vermeil.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ummm, no.
"He also won Super Bowl XV with the Philadelphia Eagles, and won 120 regular season games overall between his time in Philadelphia, St. Louis and Kansas City, winning 10 or more games in a season six times."

Good catch. Yeah… :laugh4: Oakland won that game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
:horns: :cool: :horns:

He built that Philly roster with a bag of peanuts. I don't think they had very good picks in that window iirc and he put it all together. Built the Rams under Shaw's thumb.

And humble to the last of course lol. He is as good as in. Now Holt needs to get in with him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Ummm, no.

Im dyslexic and after reading that literally 5 times, I was about to respond. You’re right… the writer couldn’t be too much of a sports fan getting that wrong.