Dick Vermeil and Kurt Warner Talk Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Kurt Warner on his favorite memories in St. Louis and being on the HOF ballot with Brett Favre. He talks with Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr.

Listen to Warner Interview

===========

Dick Vermeil on how the ’99 Rams were different than any other Super Bowl team. He talks about that and other topics with Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr.

Listen to Vermeil Talk Rams

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did he (Warner) talk about how he loves the Cardinals now and considers them his team? His thoughts matter very little to me now...Now Dick Vermeil is different

fearsomefour

Legend
Did he (Warner) talk about how he loves the Cardinals now and considers them his team? His thoughts matter very little to me now...Now Dick Vermeil is different
Do you remember that, in a show of a lack of loyalty and shortsightedness that is legendary, the Rams cut Warner.
He has shown more loyalty to the Rams than they have shown him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you remember that, in a show of a lack of loyalty and shortsightedness that is legendary, the Rams cut Warner.
He has shown more loyalty to the Rams than they have shown him.
It's been a few years since that happened. every time he shows up in St Louis (at least before now) he is treated like a god. He cares little for the importance he holds in Rams fans hearts, and that pizzes me off. It has nothing to do with what the organization did or didn't do...Georgia, Shaw, Martz, are all gone in any case. It is infuriating that he considers himself a Cardinal, having won a Super Bowl with the Rams...JMO

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
It's been a few years since that happened. every time he shows up in St Louis (at least before now) he is treated like a god. He cares little for the importance he holds in Rams fans hearts, and that pizzes me off. It has nothing to do with what the organization did or didn't do...Georgia, Shaw, Martz, are all gone in any case. It is infuriating that he considers himself a Cardinal, having won a Super Bowl with the Rams...JMO
+1

This is similar to what happened with Mike Piazza. Now that he's headed for the HOF, he wants nothing to do with the Dodgers, despite the fact no one from the time of his trade remains with the Dodgers. He's quite bitter about it ... which is unfortunate for Dodger fans.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
+1

This is similar to what happened with Mike Piazza. Now that he's headed for the HOF, he wants nothing to do with the Dodgers, despite the fact no one from the time of his trade remains with the Dodgers. He's quite bitter about it ... which is unfortunate for Dodger fans.
EXACTLY!..lol

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Vermeil was on Philly radio the other day talking about the Eagles problems. At one point the Foles trade came up and he stated that he felt Foles was a good QB and then said "it shows what a bad OC can do to a QB." Interesting..

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Vermeil was on Philly radio the other day talking about the Eagles problems. At one point the Foles trade came up and he stated that he felt Foles was a good QB and then said "it shows what a bad OC can do to a QB." Interesting..

Wow
.... But what we saw from Folds is what we saw from Folds
Not sure if Boras would have done any better

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You folks really don't believe that Kurt Warner "cares little for... Ram fan's hearts". The guy loves St Louis, the Ram players and coaches, and especially the fans. What he probably doesn't like (cause let's face it... we really don't know what he thinks) is the fact that we (Martz) decided he was done and cut him. Obviously there was a problem somewhere when this all happened, but the Rams, for whatever reasons, did not explore it or pursue it. I don't blame Warner one bit for his love of the Arizona Cardinals, and he is my all time favorite Ram. But he got a second opportunity with Arizona and he made the most of it. Good for him. He deserved it!!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
I have never heard Warner say anything negative about the Rams or St. Louis. In fact, I have heard him say more than once in interviews his time in St. Louis was the best of his career. The closest thing I have heard from him in terms of negative stuff was toward Mike Martz and his "character"....something Martz himself later confirmed.
So, I think you may be reading a lot of stuff that is not there. He will be going into the HOF at some point. It will be interesting who introduces him....I am willing to bet it will be Dick Vermeil.
If he hated the organization or the city he wouldn't come back to St. Louis....wouldnt do stuff with the Rams still. He certainly is under no obligation to do so.
Again, he was cut. I guess he should have retired to show loyalty to an organization that did not want him anymore??

fearsomefour

Legend
You folks really don't believe that Kurt Warner "cares little for... Ram fan's hearts". The guy loves St Louis, the Ram players and coaches, and especially the fans. What he probably doesn't like (cause let's face it... we really don't know what he thinks) is the fact that we (Martz) decided he was done and cut him. Obviously there was a problem somewhere when this all happened, but the Rams, for whatever reasons, did not explore it or pursue it. I don't blame Warner one bit for his love of the Arizona Cardinals, and he is my all time favorite Ram. But he got a second opportunity with Arizona and he made the most of it. Good for him. He deserved it!!!!
This 100%.
He lives in Arizona now. That is not a slight to St. Louis or its fans. He is from Iowa and played in St. Louis. If he signed with San Diego instead of Arizona he would probably live in San Diego. Hard to get away from year round temperate weather. He has kids, probably had enough moving around.
It is a 2 way street....both loyalty and lack of loyalty. I haven't seen anything negative from Warner.

fearsomefour

Legend
As another aside....how is Vermeil different??
He retired suddenly and sort of left the team hanging....although I think he let them know before the Super Bowl.
Then, in one of his emotional swings, coached for years after in Kansas City.
If Vermeil talks about coaching he is just as likely to talk about Philadelphia as he is St. Louis.
He never really mentions Kansas City. Its about the successes not the city.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
As another aside....how is Vermeil different??
He retired suddenly and sort of left the team hanging....although I think he let them know before the Super Bowl.
Then, in one of his emotional swings, coached for years after in Kansas City.
If Vermeil talks about coaching he is just as likely to talk about Philadelphia as he is St. Louis.
He never really mentions Kansas City. Its about the successes not the city.

Have you seen the Vermeil "Football Life" episode? First of all, see it if you get a chance. Lot's of footage of the Napa area, up here, where he grew up (St. Helena?). He still has his Winery, an apparently is quite active. I did some business in that area back when he was the Rams coach, and met a bunch of people that knew him- they loved him.

At one point in the Documentary, he talks about when he made the decision to leave the Rams. (It has always bugged me. Why did Vermeil leave?!) He ABSOLUTELY regretted leaving saying. (paraphrased) "I made a hasty decision. I should have stayed."

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I'll be short and to the point.

You're completely incorrect.

fearsomefour

Legend
Have you seen the Vermeil "Football Life" episode? First of all, see it if you get a chance. Lot's of footage of the Napa area, up here, where he grew up (St. Helena?). He still has his Winery, an apparently is quite active. I did some business in that area back when he was the Rams coach, and met a bunch of people that knew him- they loved him.

At one point in the Documentary, he talks about when he made the decision to leave the Rams. (It has always bugged me. Why did Vermeil leave?!) He ABSOLUTELY regretted leaving saying. (paraphrased) "I made a hasty decision. I should have stayed."
Oh yeah, Ive seen it....more than once.
Vermeil was a very emotional person, that carries some good and bad with it.
Vermeil Wineries has a tasting room out that way. Stopped in while I was traveling through. He wasn't there though, but, there was football memorabilia up everywhere in the place, obviously a lot of Rams stuff. I assume it is still there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's different for me. Vermeil left because he thought he should retire, until after they recieved the rings for Super Bowl 34..He didn't leave the Rams to coach the Chiefs.
But that is beside the point. When I hear Dick Vermeil speak about the Rams, it feels like a beloved ex-coach that still loves the team..Now it may be that is just Vermeil's personality peeking through and is similar when talking with the Chiefs. Warrner is different to me. He still enjoys his GSOT teammates and you can see and hear that. When he talks about the Rams there is a detachment. Part of that is because he is NFL commentator...It's a rare day when he ever selects the Rams to win on gameday, unlike Marshall Faulk. Marshall you can see, has been enthused about different parts of the Rams team..he loves Gurley, and is impressed by Aaron Donald. Warner? rarely does he get enthused about anything Rams....It appears that I am a minority opinion here, but thats ok

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Oh yeah, Ive seen it....more than once.
Vermeil was a very emotional person, that carries some good and bad with it.
Vermeil Wineries has a tasting room out that way. Stopped in while I was traveling through. He wasn't there though, but, there was football memorabilia up everywhere in the place, obviously a lot of Rams stuff. I assume it is still there.

Oh cool. I haven't been to his winery. My wife and I are going to make a weekend of it soon. (1 hour drive) I'll make a point to go there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be short and to the point.

You're completely incorrect.
Thanks for your brevity. but..
kBvnkbk.gif

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
It's different for me. Vermeil left because he thought he should retire, until after they recieved the rings for Super Bowl 34..He didn't leave the Rams to coach the Chiefs.
But that is beside the point. When I hear Dick Vermeil speak about the Rams, it feels like a beloved ex-coach that still loves the team..Now it may be that is just Vermeil's personality peeking through and is similar when talking with the Chiefs. Warrner is different to me. He still enjoys his GSOT teammates and you can see and hear that. When he talks about the Rams there is a detachment. Part of that is because he is NFL commentator...It's a rare day when he ever selects the Rams to win on gameday, unlike Marshall Faulk. Marshall you can see, has been enthused about different parts of the Rams team..he loves Gurley, and is impressed by Aaron Donald. Warner? rarely does he get enthused about anything Rams....It appears that I am a minority opinion hear, but thats ok

This. You express what I see beautifully 100% from both Warner and Faulk.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
...and Vermeil. I forgot about that Ring Ceremony point. That was when he started regretting leaving. Good call. It just goes to show. We should never make big decisions in haste, or because of temporary emotions.

FrankenRam

Starter

Dunno if it's accurate, but somewhere along the way, I got the impression he made that decision rather abruptly primarily because there was much talk within the organization about anointing Martz the heir apparent. And I sorta took that to mean he felt like he was about to be pushed out, but that may be more me reading between the lines than actual fact.