Dick Jauron vs Mike Singletary?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
IF, the Rams DC position comes down to choosing either Dick Jauron or Mike Singletary which coach do you prefer?

I think my first reaction is Jauron but I have to admit that I like Singletary's aggressiveness and intimidation (but, this could also be concern as well if not kept under control).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd like to have a hybrid of the two. Like a Dick Jingletary. I like Singletary's tenacity and attitude, plus he's a player's coach, but Jauron is more cerebral and more heavily into the book. But. If I *had* to choose, I guess I'd go with Singletary. He's got 3 other former DCs on the staff to lean on in the area of adjustments and game-planning.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
I'd like to have a hybrid of the two. Like a Dick Jingletary. I like Singletary's tenacity and attitude, plus he's a player's coach, but Jauron is more cerebral and more heavily into the book. But. If I *had* to choose, I guess I'd go with Singletary. He's got 3 other former DCs on the staff to lean on in the area of adjustments and game-planning.

Agreed! If, I had to choose it would be a close/tough call but I would also go with the younger coach in Mike Singletary. I just really like his aggressive style and I thought I read somewhere that players really like playing for him.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think I need to think about that question a bit...............

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Dike Jingletary? :peek:

F. Mulder

Starter
I think it depends on what they want. I see DJ has someone who obviously knows Xs and Os and will be a good soldier and work in concert with Cecil, DM, Bush, etc (and obviously Fisher). As I've posted previously, although solid, I don't get excited about DJ. I see him as more of a caretaker.

OTOH, IF Fisher is looking for greater motivation, aggressive DC who is likely a more hands on teacher/coach Singletary is the man. I can see the defensive gameplan incorporated by the major Def coaches with Singletary not having to take the total lead and Singletary obviously carrying it out. I'm not so sure how in-game changes would be handled.

I can see merits for both of them but I think Singletary may have the greater upside in taking this D to the next level.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I thought the biggest knock on Singletary in SF was that he couldn't make adjustments. Now I realize that Fish is running the show, but a DC still has to interact with his players and recognize when the offense is taking advantage of mismatches and adjust accordingly. Sure it's been a couple years and maybe he's learned, but what if he hasn't?

Jauron is a known commodity I suppose. Looking at his coaching history, there isn't a lot to blow you away. He did have a pretty incredible year in Chicago, which could have been an abbarition. He also had a pretty stellar year for a Browns team without much talent to write about. One thing I noticed is that he seems to find a way to improve a defenses ability to get takeaways and improve points against. It does seem to be the bend don't break variety as yards allowed are a bit all over the map.

Forced to choose? I'd maybe lean towards Jauron.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've seen Dick Jauron's as a defensive coordinator and his resume is a tad underwhelming IMO. Even with the Jaguars his defenses were not rated that high, however, they are usually very good tackling team and tend to not give up many points.

Everyone seems to believe that Singletary does not know x's & o'x, but when he was a MLB he had no trouble quarterbacking the best defense in the history of the NFL and all people talked about then was the way he could call a defense on the fly and carry out a game plan.

Jim Caldwell had never been a coordinator either...I'll take the road less traveled because with Dick Jauron I already know what you're going to get.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
WestsideRamsfan said:
Jauron by a landslide. Shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

Love it and if Fisher goes in that direction I will then be on your side. :cool:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WestsideRamsfan said:
Jauron by a landslide. Shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.
Ah, but it is. And if they elect to hire Singletary over Jauron, then it'll be an even longer one. :ww:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Tough call but probably Singletary. Players seem to respect coaches that have played the game and been there done that. He may be a little too much sometimes but I love the kick ass attitude he brings.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ram Quixote said:
X said:

Me?
I know I don't want Sauron, although he wouldn't spare any effort to get a ring. :ww:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Thordaddy said:
Ram Quixote said:
X said:

Me?
I know I don't want Sauron, although he wouldn't spare any effort to get a ring. :ww:

Okay, that got a laugh out of me. That was an awesome joke.

Me? So far, neither one of them really appeals to me...but I would like a guy who knows his X's and O's. We already got a lot of animated coaches; having a level-headed coach like Jauron would be a great fit for us. If Singletary's learned from his disasterous head coaching career, he could be a good fit as well. Right now, I don't think I could pick either one of them based on their track records.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'm kind of under the impression that no matter who the d-coordinator is that Fisher is who ultimately decides what to go with. If a call comes through the headset that Fisher doesn't like I think it gets vetoed.

...and the system doesn't get any significant changes regardless who is brought in either.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or, none of the above! It sounds like Jeff Fisher and the Rams have decided on Tim Walton to be their next DC. I will confess that I don't know anything about Tim Walton but from the little I have read it sounds like Jeff Fisher must think a lot of him (apparently, Fisher tried to hire him for some position last season) and he seems to be one of the young (41) and coming coaches in the NFL.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Yeah I'm on board with Walton too, don't need any evil wizards , when they go home it'll be ....good night Jeff, good night Tim, good night Mary Ellen, good night John boy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
<hits buzzer> Who is, "two guys who had probably had some BBQ before getting TFO of St Louis."

alex-trebek1.jpg

"Correct."

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
<hits buzzer> Who is, "two guys who had probably had some BBQ before getting TFO of St Louis."

alex-trebek1.jpg

"Correct."

I'm having a Gary Coleman moment