Dewey's first mock draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Well, we almost made it to December. Anyways...

I don't think Fisher leaves, mostly because I don't think anyone we'd actually want would take the HC job here right now. I base this on rumblings/reports/rumors that top-caliber OCs were unwilling to consider working for the Rams this past offseason. That may have been because they didn't want to report to Fisher, but... until I see otherwise, I'm afraid we have Fisher/Williams/Cignetti in 2016.

Anyways...

Major FA events:
Jenkins walks. He's already Tweeting about how much it sucks playing D with the Rams' O on the other side. Someone will pay him at least Byron Maxwell money, if not Joe Haden.

Barron walks, mostly because people have seen what he can do as a SS/OLB hybrid. I expect the Giants to pay him.

Hayes will get a starting job with starter's money somewhere

McLeod re-signs, he's OK in this D and probably wouldn't draw a ton of interest for us to compete with

Tru re-signs, we need to keep one of our 2 top CBs and he'll cost less. I am afraid he may get a Brent Grimes contract, at $8m/year.

Barnes re-signs, nobody took a run at him this past offseason and the Rams will keep him around for continuity and (hopefully) depth

Sims re-signs

The rest of the UFAs will probably all walk. Fairley, Harkey, Benny, Cody Davis, Bates... they'll probably keep one of Bates/Reynolds to keep coverage teams mostly intact.

Cook is cut. JL is cut (not a big fan of this move, but I think it may happen).

Outside FAs signed:
QB Chase Daniel
WR Leonard Hankerson
MLB Zach Brown
K Brandon McManus (if the Broncos don't re-sign him... let's pretend they won't)

Draft. Well, at this point I think we may well lose out. Only game I feel we should go into with any confidence is SFO, and that being on the road with both teams crap and looking to get their offseasons on, blech. So let's say 5-11, with the 6th pick.

1.6 - Jared Goff, QB, Cal
2.6 - Tyler Boyd, WR, Pitt
2.10 - Jack Allen, C, Penn State
3.6 - Desmond King, CB, Iowa
4.6 - Kendall Beckwith, ILB, LSU
6.6 - Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State
7.6 - Lene Maiava, TE/G, Arizona

Depth chart in 2016:
QB - Daniel, Mannion, Goff
RB - Gurley, Mason, Watts
WR - Boyd, Austin, Britt, Hankerson, Marquez
TE - Kendricks, Vannett
LT - Robinson, Battle
LG - Reynolds, Maiava
C - Allen, Barnes, Rhaney
RG - Brown, Wichmann
RT - Havenstein, Williams
OLB - Ogletree
MLB - Brown, Beckwith
OLB - Ayers
FS - McLeod, Bryant
SS - McDonald, Alexander
RDE - Quinn, Sims
DT - Brockers, Westbrooks
DT - Donald, Worthington
LDE - Long, Longacre
P - Hekker
K - McManus

Well, there you go. A way-too-early mock that will probably see all of zero of it pan out. But it's more interesting than watching the product on the field right now.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Any draft that starts with Goff works fine for me. Can't see him last til 6 myself, but it is the end of November - and at this point, anyone's guess is as good as another.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Any draft that starts with Goff works fine for me. Can't see him last til 6 myself, but it is the end of November - and at this point, anyone's guess is as good as another.
Yes, … I'm guessing we would sacrifice several draft picks to move up for Goff, even if we are starting with the 6'th overall.
I think our 7'th round pick went to Houston when we brought Keenum back.

FRO

Legend
Goff or Lynch? I'm firmly on the Goff bandwagon, Lynch is my number 2 choice.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

I'm trying to watch as much as I can of both.

I guess all I can say at this point is, I would like the Rams to get their top choice.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I like Lynch more, but Goff wouldn't disappoint me. One of those two would be a good pick, in my book.

Anyway, onto DCH's mock:

Do not like your offseason. I don't think you replace Barron easily, and if you're letting Harkey walk, I'd be very disappointed, especially since he's essential to the offense and has a skillset nobody else has. Cunningham, Bates, and Davis are all RFAs, so you better re-sign them. Absolutely not a fan of Hankerson or Brown. I like Daniel if we can get him on a cheap deal. No way the Broncos let McManus go.

About your draft...we don't have a seventh. We dealt that to Houston in the Keenum trade. Aside from that, I don't think Vannett falls that far. Not a huge Beckwith fan, and I think that King rises as the process goes along. No problems with your first few picks, although my personal preference is Doctson over Boyd. The alcohol problems are probably the reason.

All and all, especially if we're keeping Fisher, not an offseason I'd like at all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hankerson sucks. Not sure why we're signing him. Love Goff, though.

Jack Allen isn't a 2nd round guy.(and he plays at Michigan State ;))

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hankerson sucks. Not sure why we're signing him. Love Goff, though.

Jack Allen isn't a 2nd round guy.(and he plays at Michigan State ;))
Ugh. I knew that (Michigan State) but my fingers heard that State was coming down the pipe and typed Penn. Because they're stupid. Not me... the fingers. Yeah.

Regarding Hankerson, he's a depth signing who could be decent as a possession-type guy. I'm not envisioning STL being a big free agent destination, but we need to fill out the roster with a few guys who can play a bit and bring something of a veteran presence to the club.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Lynch more, but Goff wouldn't disappoint me. One of those two would be a good pick, in my book.

Anyway, onto DCH's mock:

Do not like your offseason. I don't think you replace Barron easily,
I don't disagree, but I think he'll get big money after the way he's played in Gregg's system. I do think we can replace him to a fairly decent degree with Alexander.
and if you're letting Harkey walk, I'd be very disappointed, especially since he's essential to the offense and has a skillset nobody else has.
I'd be disappointed too, but we've got money tied up in Kendricks, I see them drafting a TE high, and they seem to like Justice Cunningham as a cheaper version of Harkey.
Cunningham, Bates, and Davis are all RFAs, so you better re-sign them. Absolutely not a fan of Hankerson or Brown. I like Daniel if we can get him on a cheap deal. No way the Broncos let McManus go.
Did't realize those 3 were restricted, that's great and makes things easier. See my above comment on Hankerson. I like Brown well enough, and see his skillset as closer to Barron's than as a true thumping MLB. Also why I put in the draft Beckwith, whose best attribute is his size. Don't disagree on McManus, but hey, stranger things have happened.

About your draft...we don't have a seventh. We dealt that to Houston in the Keenum trade.
Forgot about that... thanks.
Aside from that, I don't think Vannett falls that far. Not a huge Beckwith fan, and I think that King rises as the process goes along. No problems with your first few picks, although my personal preference is Doctson over Boyd. The alcohol problems are probably the reason.
I think Boyd can be great if a strong coach can keep him in line. Fisher's ostensibly good at that - it's worked great with Jenkins and Tru. He's also managed to keep Britt out of trouble.

All and all, especially if we're keeping Fisher, not an offseason I'd like at all.
Not my preference, I just think that's how it goes. Doubt Fisher gets canned this offseason. I would expect someone to be put over him as President of Football Operations to take some of his authority and to force a real offensive coordinator on him... or, more likely, to force him to give Cignetti room to do his own thing instead of being micromanaged (my suspicion, nothing more) by Fisher.