Dewey Mock - Pre-fa And Pre-combine, One Trade

• Thread starter DeweyCheatem-n-Howe
  • Start date
  • To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

#2 - TRADE with Minnesota for their 1st (#8), their 2nd (#40) and their 1st in 2015
#8 - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
#13 - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
#40 - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
#45 - Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
#77 - Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
#109 - Tre Boston, FS, North Carolina
#141 - Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State
#173 - L'Damian Washington, WR, Mizzou
#205 - De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

Thoughts?

Last edited:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

I like these 3 picks, very nice.

Alan

Legend
I like everything except waiting to pick up a FS until the the 5th round. Unless you're thinking about addressing that in FA.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think we necessarily need one high up, especially since you're strengthening the secondary with Dennard at #13. I see a couple of things with the safety position:
- McDonald played really well after coming back from the broken leg
- McLeod played OK center field, especially when paired with McDonald - ball skills showed when he was put in the nickel covering the slot guy for a while
- Tre Boston is a pure center-field-style FS, with good ball skills

I don't think we need a superstar FS; a 3rd or 4th, like we used last year to bring in McD, should combine well with another high CB pick and our crazy D-line pressure. All we need is someone who can diagnose plays, put the "safe" in "safety," and tackle when someone gets past the CBs.

JMO of course, but I think that would be plenty to finish off our secondary.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Nice job DCH! One of my favorites so far. I think Jordan Matthews could be the "sleeper" WR in this class and any draft that includes a Tarheel gets bonus points from me. Tre Boston is a pretty good S, Tarheel homerims aside. In the bowl game at the end of this season he even moved up to LB (although he's too small for the position) and lead the team in tackles in the win over Cinn.

Alan

Legend
JMO of course, but I think that would be plenty to finish off our secondary.
If it goes down that way I hope you're right. Maybe that pick of a CB in the first round (which I love) will make up for that. I don't have as much confidence in 4th round picks turning out to be good starters as you do though.

I keep coming back to the fact that the excuse for our CBs playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage has to do with our lack of a good FS/center fielder. If I hear that again this year I'll be really pissed.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it goes down that way I hope you're right. Maybe that pick of a CB in the first round (which I love) will make up for that. I don't have as much confidence in 4th round picks turning out to be good starters as you do though.

I keep coming back to the fact that the excuse for our CBs playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage has to do with our lack of a good FS/center fielder. If I hear that again this year I'll be really pissed.
A fair point. I think that changed over the course of the season though, esp. after McDonald got back from his injury. There was more press coverage by our CBs as the season wore on - best moment was the NO game, when Jenkins moved into a condo up Jimmy Graham's butt and didn't leave it for sixty minutes.

V3

Hall of Fame
#2 - TRADE with Minnesota for their 1st (#8), their 2nd (#40) and their 1st in 2015
#45 - Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
#77 - Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
#109 - Tre Boston, FS, North Carolina
#141 - Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State
#173 - L'Damian Washington, WR, Mizzou
#205 - De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

Thoughts?

I really like the draft. I just wonder if the Rams can get that much of a return for that trade. At most, I think they'd get their first next year and not their 2nd this year. Who knows? Otherwise, nice.