Devaney Talks About Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd be more interested in knowing what Devaney thought of Jason Smith.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the rams knew after a couple of practices that they had made a big mistake with this guy.

jjab360

Legend
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the rams knew after a couple of practices that they had made a big mistake with this guy.

If I remember correctly, for a long time at the beginning of his first Training Camp they had him working by himself just to get the basics down. Then Saffold passed him at LT the next year with ease. The writing was on the wall at the very beginning on that pick..

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

i remember bill polian saying, when asked on nfl live about the draft picks he made, the scariest part of the 1st round draft pick was the first practice. he said they would have their hearts in their mouths waiting to see if the player they drafted was actually the player they thought he would be.

how can they tell after one practice if a guy is a player or not?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I definitely don't think Devaney was the best GM, but he'll always have my respect as a person. He never shied away from anything, and I have no doubt in my mind he did everything in his power to make the Rams relevant again. He was never bitter about getting fired, or towards hostile fans. He's a class act in my book.

While I may not have agreed with some of his decisions, I'm happy he has a job again in the league.
Once again sir I am totally in agreement with you. I liked devaney as a GM not the best decisions but think he tried his hardest. Used to love his interviews and he gave what his thoughts were on things while drinking a beer ! lol

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Devaney knows he screwed up with J-Smooth.
Smith was a bust, no doubt about it. But screwed up implies there was a correct course of action to take. I don't think there was, not without picking a guy who'd be seen as a huge reach.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Devaney is a nice guy. But he couldn't find a good player after the 2nd round. He made one smart pick when Quinn dropped to him.

jjab360

Legend
Devaney is a nice guy. But he couldn't find a good player after the 2nd round. He made one smart pick when Quinn dropped to him.
He got scared after drafting Avery, and refused to draft upside after that pick for some reason. He was also handicapped by the Four Pillars, they ended up putting too much of a premium on character over talent.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He got scared after drafting Avery, and refused to draft upside after that pick for some reason. He was also handicapped by the Four Pillars, they ended up putting too much of a premium on character over talent.
He didn't draft Avery. He wasn't GM then.

And I still don't see any huge star we missed out on because of the Four Pillars. We were avoiding any more Incognito's or Wroten's, which was a good idea.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He didn't draft Avery. He wasn't GM then.

And I still don't see any huge star we missed out on because of the Four Pillars. We were avoiding any more Incognito's or Wroten's, which was a good idea.
I don't know or care about the 4 pillars, but Devaney missed out on plenty of star players in his 3 years as GM.

Stacy and Bailey look better than any post 2nd round picks Devaney ever made. He picked guys like Pettis, Salas, Brooks Foster, and Marty Gilyard. Never drafted a good starting WR for Sam in 3 years. Just awful.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Smith was a bust, no doubt about it. But screwed up implies there was a correct course of action to take. I don't think there was, not without picking a guy who'd be seen as a huge reach.
Exactly - and the Smith signing might be why I have a hard time buying into much of the pre-draft hype anymore. In that case, Devaney took what by almost all accounts was the no brainer for our team. Hindsight is a great thing but most everyone out there had JS as the best player available for us.

He definitely had his problems recognizing talent outside of the top 15 or so.