Devaney takes a shot at Alex Barron

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
hKX5Y7T.png

By Dan Hanzus | Around the League Writer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000231788/article/exrams-gm-raiders-barron-only-cares-about-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... bout-money</a>

The Oakland Raiders were less than adequately prepared when left tackle Jared Veldheer went down with a triceps injury that required surgery last week.

The team is attempting to make a go of it with Alex Barron, a 30-year-old former first-round bust of the St. Louis Rams who hasn't played a regular-season game since 2010. Things didn't start well.

Former Rams general manager Billy Devaney wasn't part of the regime that brought Barron to St. Louis, but Devaney made sure to trade him away in 2010. He explained why Monday on ESPN's "NFL Insiders."

[hilite]"He does not like anything about the game except getting paid," said Devaney, who added Barron doesn't have enough heart to succeed in the NFL.[/hilite]

In fairness, Devaney might not want to paint himself as an expert of left tackles, or even left tackles who like playing football. In his first draft as general manager of the Rams, Devaney used the second-overall pick to select Jason Smith, a mega-bust who came to face the same criticism Devaney lobbed at Barron on Monday.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
"He does not like anything about the game except getting paid," said Devaney

Paid at the NFL minimum at that. If the dude worked harder he could really get paid.

V3

Hall of Fame
Is it wrong that every time I hear those names (among many others), I still get sick to my stomach?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
CGI_Ram said:
X said:
"He does not like anything about the game except getting paid," said Devaney

Paid at the NFL minimum at that. If the dude worked harder he could really get paid.

Yep.

What a shame......a big waste of talent.

BobCarl

Rookie
V3 said:
Is it wrong that every time I hear those names (among many others), I still get sick to my stomach?

Right now he is paid as a training camp fodder. He hasn't picked a game check yet. There will be RT's that get cut on August 31st ... Barron has maybe a week to turn it around or he will not get any game checks

V3

Hall of Fame
BobCarl said:
V3 said:

Right now he is paid as a training camp fodder. He hasn't picked a game check yet. There will be RT's that get cut on August 31st ... Barron has maybe a week to turn it around or he will not get any game checks

That wasn't what I was getting at. I was trying to say that just hearing their names reminds me of all the HORRIBLE picks we've had to endure over the years. It seriously pisses me off just hearing their names.

BobCarl

Rookie
V3 said:

Be glad the Rams didn't pick some names like JaMarcus Russell or Ronaldo McClain

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Barron was a bad pick in more ways than one.
If he would have become a very good LT there would have been no Jason Smith, Saffold, or Jake Long. Another 1st, a 2nd, and a bunch of cash that could have been used on other players.
Trickle down effect.
Devanny has no room to talk with his draft history.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I thought Long and Saffold were good picks! Think Smith got his bell rung once too often and that made his play deteriorate.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
rhinobean said:
I thought Long and Saffold were good picks! Think Smith got his bell rung once too often and that made his play deteriorate.

They were and Devaney FWIW is only being honest, JMO but with Fisher and Kroenke minus the last owners Devaney would have been far more respected than he is ,Kendricks and Lauranitis anyone ?

A GM is only as good as his scouts and the coaches who teach his draft choices the pro game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thordaddy said:
A GM is only as good as his scouts
Yeah I don't know about that. Snead is one of a few GMs who does his own scouting, and he does it year round. Not saying he doesn't rely on his subordinates too, but he does get his hands dirty more than did Devaney.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
A GM is only as good as his scouts
Yeah I don't know about that. Snead is one of a few GMs who does his own scouting, and he does it year round. Not saying he doesn't rely on his subordinates too, but he does get his hands dirty more than did Devaney.

Sent via Tapatalk2.
And probably has the support staff back at the ranch to free him to do so.