Detroit had an inelligible man downfield on TD play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
And there was also a clock malfunction that cost in essence gave Detroit a time out they shouldnt have had on their final drive.

There are always little quirks like that in games. Bottom line is, we had to make a play to win and we didnt.

bluecoconuts

Legend
brokeu91 said:
According to Timothy Burke of deadspin the refs missed an ineligible receiver down field on the TD play. I don't know how much that effected the play, but it may have screened an OLB from picking up the rb in the flat.

Here's a link to the article:

http://deadspin.com/5941958/here-are-th ... rom-sunday

It caused Dunbar to bite which is why Smith was wide open. Otherwise he probably would have dropped Smith in the backfield.

bluecoconuts

Legend
libertadrocks said:
And there was also a clock malfunction that cost in essence gave Detroit a time out they shouldnt have had on their final drive.

There are always little quirks like that in games. Bottom line is, we had to make a play to win and we didnt.

The clock issue would have probably won the game with the Rams. Instead of passing, I bet they would have ran the ball which would have taken off at least 30 seconds of clock time. Certainly more than 15 seconds.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
libertadrocks said:

The clock issue would have probably won the game with the Rams. Instead of passing, I bet they would have ran the ball which would have taken off at least 30 seconds of clock time. Certainly more than 15 seconds.

Detroit would have used their TO then, rather than using it on their last offensive possession. The time time that was left on the clock by the glitch would be equivalent to however long it would have taken them to run to the line and spike the ball. 10 seconds or so probably. Maybe a few more.

Regardless we were in a position to win the game and we didnt. Everything else is just a trivial excuse.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It was probably the chick refs responsibility to call that. :evil:

Heard today that Commandant Goodell has put out a schedule for these replacement refs that goes through the next 5 weeks. Fuck.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fisher: Mistake by clock operator cost Rams

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher says a mistake by the clock operator late in Sunday's last-second loss at Detroit gave the Lions an extra timeout that completely changed how the finish played out.

The 40-second time clock started three or four seconds before the game clock resumed after quarterback Sam Bradford slid for a 3-yard gain close to the sideline. Fisher anticipated he could let the clock run to the two-minute warning, but instead had to call timeout with 2:03 to go with the play clock about to expire.

The Rams were set to run on third down after the two-minute warning, forcing the Lions to use their final timeout. Instead, Bradford threw an incompletion and Greg Zuerlein kicked a go-ahead 46-yard field goal.
The Lions had 1:55 to work with on their final drive. Matthew Stafford's 5-yard pass to Kevin Smith with 10 seconds to go won it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fisher-mis ... --nfl.html

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
League admits late-game clock error in Rams game

A late-game glitch in clock management Sunday in Detroit was costly to the Rams in their last-second 27-23 loss to the Lions.

With 2 minutes 45 seconds to play, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford scrambled out of the pocket and slid feet first near the St. Louis sideline, in-bounds. A television copy of the game broadcast showed no official signal time out, yet the game clock was stopped at 2:38.

After a few seconds, line judge Shannon Eastin signaled that the game clock was to be re-started, but by the time this actually happened, about 7 seconds had gone by.

"It was a mistake by the clock operator," a league spokesman told the Post-Dispatch. "He stopped the clock incorrectly. The officials did not signal for it to stop."

Even though the clock was mistakenly stopped at 2:38 the 40-second play clock somehow was running during that stoppage because Rams coach Jeff Fisher had to use a timeout at 2:03 to avoid getting a delay of game penalty.

Had the clock reached 2 minutes as it should have, Fisher could've run the ensuing third-down play after the 2-minute warning, instead of before. Had that been the case, Detroit coach Jim Schwartz would've had to use his last timeout before Greg Zuerlein's 46-yard field goal — which gave the Rams' a 23-20 lead — or lose 30-plus seconds of clock time.

Fisher likened it to Detroit getting an extra timeout. Clock operators are hired independently of the officiating crew — or in this case the replacement officiating crew.

As it was, Schwartz used that final timeout on Detroit's game-winning touchdown drive, which culminated in a five-yard TD pass from Matthew Stafford to Kevin Smith with 10 seconds to play.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... f6878.html

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
libertadrocks said:
bluecoconuts said:
libertadrocks said:

Detroit would have used their TO then, rather than using it on their last offensive possession. The time time that was left on the clock by the glitch would be equivalent to however long it would have taken them to run to the line and spike the ball. 10 seconds or so probably. Maybe a few more.

Regardless we were in a position to win the game and we didnt. Everything else is just a trivial excuse.
You can call it an excuse if you want. Still, if time played out like it did, Detroit doesn't get that last shot at the endzone.

PhxRam

mfranke:

Howard, have you heard anything about a missed ineligible man downfield (Raiola) on the game-winning TD? I must confess I don't know the rule well enough myself.

HBalzer:

The center pulled and was about 1.5 yards past the line of scrimmage. He was running quickly trying to sell run and Smith came up behind him and actually slightly pushed him. Raiola abrupty stopped and Smith cut off him to the flat. You can see Dunbar running toward the middle where Smith was headed and then he couldn't get back when Smith went to the right.

I looked up the rule and a lineman isn't allowed to cross the line of scrimmage before the quarterback has thrown the ball. Watching the play over and over on DVR he was definitely past the line when Stafford still had the ball. I actually communicated with Mike Pereira, who then watched the play and claimed the lineman can't go past one yard and it would be "ticky-tack" to call it.q

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
mfranke:

Howard, have you heard anything about a missed ineligible man downfield (Raiola) on the game-winning TD? I must confess I don't know the rule well enough myself.

HBalzer:

The center pulled and was about 1.5 yards past the line of scrimmage. He was running quickly trying to sell run and Smith came up behind him and actually slightly pushed him. Raiola abrupty stopped and Smith cut off him to the flat. You can see Dunbar running toward the middle where Smith was headed and then he couldn't get back when Smith went to the right.

I looked up the rule and a lineman isn't allowed to cross the line of scrimmage before the quarterback has thrown the ball. Watching the play over and over on DVR he was definitely past the line when Stafford still had the ball. I actually communicated with Mike Pereira, who then watched the play and claimed the lineman can't go past one yard and it would be "ticky-tack" to call it.
There's a fine line between "ticky-tack" and "game fucking over" though, isn't there?

Thanks for the forward of the listserv, Phx.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Translation: I watched the play but it since nobody gives a shit about the Rams why would we call it?

You know damn well if it was the Packers, 49ers, Patriots, or other major team in that position ESPN would be all over it.

But just like the Giants faking injuries last year, it was against the Rams so who gives a shit? They would probably just lose anyway, right?

Yeah, fuck you too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Translation: I watched the play but it since nobody gives a shit about the Rams why would we call it?

You know damn well if it was the Packers, 49ers, Patriots, or other major team in that position ESPN would be all over it.

But just like the Giants faking injuries last year, it was against the Rams so who gives a shit? They would probably just lose anyway, right?

Yeah, fuck you too.
I like where your head's at, man.

"I wanna party with you, cowboy."

2s7v2mw.png

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
bluecoconuts said:

Yeah, fuck you too.

True that.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
League admits late-game clock error in Rams game

A late-game glitch in clock management Sunday in Detroit was costly to the Rams in their last-second 27-23 loss to the Lions.

With 2 minutes 45 seconds to play, Rams quarterback Sam Bradford scrambled out of the pocket and slid feet first near the St. Louis sideline, in-bounds. A television copy of the game broadcast showed no official signal time out, yet the game clock was stopped at 2:38.

After a few seconds, line judge Shannon Eastin signaled that the game clock was to be re-started, but by the time this actually happened, about 7 seconds had gone by.

"It was a mistake by the clock operator," a league spokesman told the Post-Dispatch. "He stopped the clock incorrectly. The officials did not signal for it to stop."

Even though the clock was mistakenly stopped at 2:38 the 40-second play clock somehow was running during that stoppage because Rams coach Jeff Fisher had to use a timeout at 2:03 to avoid getting a delay of game penalty.

Had the clock reached 2 minutes as it should have, Fisher could've run the ensuing third-down play after the 2-minute warning, instead of before. Had that been the case, Detroit coach Jim Schwartz would've had to use his last timeout before Greg Zuerlein's 46-yard field goal — which gave the Rams' a 23-20 lead — or lose 30-plus seconds of clock time.

Fisher likened it to Detroit getting an extra timeout. Clock operators are hired independently of the officiating crew — or in this case the replacement officiating crew.

As it was, Schwartz used that final timeout on Detroit's game-winning touchdown drive, which culminated in a five-yard TD pass from Matthew Stafford to Kevin Smith with 10 seconds to play.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... f6878.html
Error my ass, Schwartz learned that little trick while working with Belicheat.

"Schwartz worked in Cleveland's player personnel department from 1993 to 1995 under Belichick, who coached the Browns at that time"

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The lineman, actually got knocked past the line of scrimmage by his running back--Smith, who then flared out and caught the ball for the TD. The lineman didn't move after he got knocked forward, he seemed conscious of the rule. I really don't know what Dunbar was looking at, he had Smith, then dove inside.

Honestly, I don't think most officials would call that.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Yeah the replacement refs suck> than the reg. Refs.

Here what has to be done. We have the veteran coaches right? They need to hit the film room to find out what crew will call which penalties. Exploit the Refs ineptness by coach our players to take advantage of it.

Sounds strange? Betcha Belicheat and a dozen other coaches are doing it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:

Here what has to be done. We have the veteran coaches right? They need to hit the film room to find out what crew will call which penalties. Exploit the Refs ineptness by coach our players to take advantage of it.

I have noticed it in coverage, and by o-lineman.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yamahopper said:

I was watching the GB/SF game, and one of the announcers mentioned that Mike McCarthy had studied the tape of the refs that were involved in the game, and he had planned accordingly. The problem, as it turned out, was that those refs were so fucking inconsistent that what he planned for was essentially worthless.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It's hard to just accept that a few little things here and there could of been the difference in the game but to me if you don't let them go basically 80 yards TWICE in about 2 min or less then we don't have to wory about it. They scored both touchdowns late with rather ease. OR, if we just make the LAST 3rd down conversion we run out the clock. Hard to blame officials when we had all the chances in the world to win. Just didn't get it done.