Despite looming suspension, Stedman Bailey stepping up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ooming-suspension-stedman-bailey-stepping-up/

Despite looming suspension, Stedman Bailey stepping up
Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2014, 6:14 PM EDT
stedman.jpg
Getty Images
The bad news is that Rams receiver Stedman Bailey will miss the first four games of the season, due to a PED suspension. The good news is that, when he returns, Bailey could be ready to make a big impact.

The second-year wideout, a third-round pick and teammate of first-rounder Tavon Austin at West Virginia, continues to draw positive reviews for his performance in training camp.

“Sted made a lot of plays today,” coach Jeff Fisher said after the team’s first practice of the year inside the Edward Jones Dome, via quotes distributed by the team. “He’s there. He knows how to get open, and knows how to make the plays. Yes, we’ll miss him, but he’s going to push right through camp and we’ll get through his ordeal and we’ll get him right back in the lineup.”

The upcoming suspension won’t result in Bailey getting less work during the preseason.

“He’s going to get plenty of work and so are the other guys,” Fisher said. “We’ve got four preseason games and there’s plenty of snaps, plenty of practice snaps to have him ready.”

Quarterback Sam Bradford agrees with Fisher’s optimism.

“Stedman’s been great all camp, all spring,” Bradford said. “I think he’s going to be a big part of what we do when he gets back. Obviously, it’s a bummer that he’s not going to be with us the first four [games], but when he comes back, the timing and everything that we’re doing right now is to make sure that we’re ready when he does get back. He’s been very productive. . . . He’s a very smart receiver. He’s always in the right place. He’s got a great instinct, just about feeling different zones and getting open. I think he’s going to be a big target in the offense this year and I think it showed today. He caught a lot of balls out here today.”

The Rams have spent the last few years loading up on wideouts, but waiting for the payoff. As to Bailey, it could come this year. If it also happens for other young receivers, the Rams could indeed be ready to disrupt the Seahawks-49ers domination of the division.

A55VA6

Legend
I said it when this guy was drafted... he will be the best WR on this team until we get that true #1 guy. Bailey is a solid #2 WR in my eyes.

This guy knows how to run routes. He's got great hands. He's smart. After week 4, expect him to be on his way to being a very very good player for the Rams.

So annoying that he got suspended, makes it even more annoying that he's doing well in pre-season. Why can't he just suck, it would make it so much easier :(.

Oh well, he'll still play more games than Harvin will for the Seahawks.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I heard somewhere they know when they are getting piss tested and still get caught? Anyone know if this is true or not?

FRO

Legend
I enjoy reading comments in PFT. Most of the Rams comments are that Bradford sucks, or takes shots at Fisher for going 7-9. Reminds me of when I posted at Ramstalk. Ahh the good ole days.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I heard somewhere they know when they are getting pee pee tested and still get caught? Anyone know if this is true or not?
It is, up to the first positive test, then testing is unannounced.

Someone once said, Steadman is/will be better than Tavon. I doubted this then looked at his YPC & some film and realized he's a more traditional wr. Not as many bubble screens and shovel passes, & hitches....Plus, he's tough as nails....ST????

lockdnram21

Legend
Yes hes a good receiver but i dont think we will miss him at all. I think Britt Austin and Quick are going to be huge and make it hard for Bailey to see the field.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Yeah its really annoying that he got suspended but he will be back just in time for the brutal part of the schedule.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
It is, up to the first positive test, then testing is unannounced.

Someone once said, Steadman is/will be better than Tavon. I doubted this then looked at his YPC & some film and realized he's a more traditional wr. Not as many bubble screens and shovel passes, & hitches....Plus, he's tough as nails....ST????
lol have no idea how you can get popped then wtf?!

Stedman is the type that kills you vertically and that'll open up Tavon horizontally. I think their playing styles both complement eachother very well.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yeah its really annoying that he got suspended but he will be back just in time for the brutal part of the schedule.
right? we will need him for those games!

I guess if it had to happen the first four weeks wasn't the worst time it could of happened

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Exactly, it could have been a bad supplement or a banned supplement that he just didnt check on
no, no....That was in response to the question, "who fails a test that they know is coming on a certain date".

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Yes hes a good receiver but i dont think we will miss him at all. I think Britt Austin and Quick are going to be huge and make it hard for Bailey to see the field.
Even so he would be fantastic depth..... and maybe we go from bottom to the top in our division as a wr unit..;) go rams