Despite holes on O-line, Fisher says it's not time to panic/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Despite holes on O-line, Fisher says it's not time to panic
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f190098b-2ef4-5289-ba7b-276bd72d91d8.html

PHOENIX • The help wanted sign remains out on the offensive line, Rams coach Jeff Fisher makes no bones about that.

“Yeah, there’s still some spots available, if you will,” he said, smiling.

Namely, starting center, guard, and right tackle. A mere 60 percent of the starting line.

“It’s not one of those things that we’re gonna panic about,” Fisher said Wednesday at the NFC coaches breakfast.

OK. Panic may be a little strong in late March. So how about mild concern?

“This draft in particular is outstanding as far as the offensive line is concerned,” Fisher said. “There’s still several free agents out there that we’re in discussions with. ... Once we get back from the meetings, things tend to pick up again. So we may have another visit or two.”

The owners’ meetings concluded Wednesday, so let’s re-set the table on the offensive line. At last check, free-agent center Stefen Wisniewski was still in the “possible” category in terms of a visit to St. Louis. The former Oakland Raider made visits to Tampa Bay and Seattle early in free agency but remains unsigned.

The Kansas City Chiefs have been linked to him as well, and according to the Chicago Tribune, the Bears also. The Tribune reported that Wisniewski is seeking $4 million a year.

At guard, former Atlanta Falcon Justin Blalock was considering a visit to St. Louis as well, but as is the case with Wisniewski, that visit has yet to materialize. Blalock paid an early free-agent visit to Detroit but remains unsigned.

And then there’s Joe Barksdale. As Fisher confirmed, Barksdale aimed high in terms of a potential contract at the start of free agency. He then got married and remains on his honeymoon. Tennessee is the only other team known to have expressed interest, but Barksdale has yet to make any visits.

“I was a little surprised at their asking price initially,” Fisher stated bluntly.

(There has been some speculation that it was around $7 million a year.)

“I think things have settled down a little bit, so we’d love to have Joe,” Fisher continued. “Joe played well at times. He had some outstanding games. Had some difficult matchups as well. But Joe knows us, and Joe knows Coach (Paul) Boudreau. And it makes sense to get Joe back. We’d like to have him back; there’s been discussions.”

Boudreau is the team’s offensive line coach.

In terms of free-agent contract negotiations, once the owners’ meetings come and go, almost all of the leverage is with the team. Money starts drying up across the league, and teams turn almost all of their attention to the draft.

Even with their pressing needs on the offensive line, that’s true to a degree with the Rams. The team has committed $18.5 million in 2015 salary cap room in re-signing wide receiver Kenny Britt and tight end Lance Kendricks, and signing outside free agents defensive tackle Nick Fairley, outside linebacker Akeem Ayers and guard-tackle Garrett Reynolds.

That leaves the Rams with a shade over $11 million in salary cap room, which doesn’t include expenditures for the draft and practice squad. So financially, the Rams may simply not have enough room to sign Barksdale, Blalock and Wisniewski.

Keep in mind, too, that the team has paid defensive Robert Quinn his $10.2 million roster bonus. That means they can no longer convert it to signing bonus, which would have been an accounting method to free up additional cap space in 2015. That window has closed.

With just five weeks before the draft, it’s almost a certainty that the asking prices of Barksdale, Blalock and Wisniewski have gone down. That’s usually the main reason starting-caliber players are still unsigned this time of year.

“Well, it’s either money or ideal fit,” Fisher said. “Because there’s some players out there that still have value at a number of positions.”

But if the Rams either can’t afford or miss out on one or two of those offensive line free agents, there will be more pressure on them to come up with blockers in the draft who can contribute immediately.

Depth was added last week when they signed former Detroit and Atlanta offensive lineman Reynolds to a two-year, $2.2 million contract.

“Garrett played some right tackle in a few games at Detroit (in 2014),” Fisher said. “I thought he played pretty well. He’s a big, strong physical guard or right tackle. He’s one of those guys that just brings you good depth.”

Boudreau was Reynolds’ position coach for part of his time with Atlanta. And offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti was on North Carolina’s staff when Reynolds was there playing his college ball.

With 27 NFL regular-season starts, Reynolds also brings much-needed experience to the line. Left guard Rodger Saffold (60 starts) and left tackle Greg Robinson (12) are the only other offensive linemen currently under contract who have started a regular-season game in the NFL.

If Wisniewski ends up elsewhere, and the Rams fail to land a veteran center in free agency, 2013 draft pick Barrett Jones could suddenly find himself in a starting role after injuries derailed his first two NFL seasons.

“Barrett showed in a brief appearance that he can play,” Fisher said, referring to last year’s game at Kansas City, where he replaced an injured Scott Wells. “We have confidence in Demetrius Rhaney that he can come in and compete at the spot as well.”

Rhaney, drafted late in the seventh round in 2014, missed the entire season following a training camp knee injury.

The only other members of the offensive line are guard Travis Bond, guard Brandon Washington and tackle Steven Baker.

COACH HIRED

The Rams have hired Jeff Imamura as a defensive assistant. He was most recently at Minot State on the college level but previously worked on the Minnesota Vikings staff. Imamura is an extra body on the staff; he’s not replacing anyone.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Fisher really needs to pay attention to the O-line and stop trying to duct tape a unit together.A big swing tackle or guard would have been nice in the spot L.Joyner was taken in the draft.I hope he goes O-line with 2 of the 1st 3 picks a trade down in the 1st would be a good start to accomplish that.Then he can feed the defense all he wants but it has to start up front we need those young road graders leading the way.

jjab360

Legend
Fisher really needs to pay attention to the O-line and stop trying to duct tape a unit together.A big swing tackle or guard would have been nice in the spot L.Joyner was taken in the draft.I hope he goes O-line with 2 of the 1st 3 picks a trade down in the 1st would be a good start to accomplish that.Then he can feed the defense all he wants but it has to start up front we need those young road graders leading the way.
Like who? That was a pretty weak area in the draft for O-linemen last year..

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Keep in mind, too, that the team has paid defensive Robert Quinn his $10.2 million roster bonus

I really like how Kevin Demoff does this. Yes, that's a bitter pill to swallow this year, but it's a responsible way to manage these guys with big contracts.

We did the same with JL a year or so back. The net result; he's now "affordable" over the remaining years.

Kudos, KD.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
IIRC Jackson,both Turner's Mewhort were still on the board any of those would have come and learned the system for this year or maybe even started last year.Either way we would be in a better position today than a Db that won't see the field to much.

jjab360

Legend
IIRC Jackson,both Turner's Mewhort were still on the board any of those would have come and learned the system for this year or maybe even started last year.Either way we would be in a better position today than a Db that won't see the field to much.
Gabe Jackson was still available after our 3rd round pick so not the same range. Never really thought much of Mewhort tbh, seems like JAG but I could be wrong. And Joyner will be a contributor next year so I think you're wrong about that. Went back and watched a few Rams games and the guy was all over the field when he got in the game. Gaines was more pro-ready, but Joyner could be a really special player too, especially as a safety.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Gabe Jackson was still available after our 3rd round pick so not the same range. Never really thought much of Mewhort tbh, seems like JAG but I could be wrong. And Joyner will be a contributor next year so I think you're wrong about that. Went back and watched a few Rams games and the guy was all over the field when he got in the game. Gaines was more pro-ready, but Joyner could be a really special player too, especially as a safety.
With Barron,McLeod,and McDonald getting a lot of snaps idk how Joyner could get any significant time on the field.And the whole issue is the o-line, IMHO had fisher gone o- line with the Joyner and Alexander picks we would most likely be set or very close to it.Now he has to find and sign at least 2 free agent lineman when he could've had 1 or 2 on rookie contracts so it effects the salary cap as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I would agree with you fully jjab360 here on how weak the OT prospects were after the "Big Five" were selected in the first round.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...ate=-1&award=-1&collegecoach=-1&highschool=-1

I also happen to really think that Joyner will have an impact as a Ram but I understand the forums disappointment thus far with that pick. Plus he did cost us another loss of a pick.

However if you would permit me to respond to your question? In hindsight I sure would like to have the chance to redo this selection now. I would prefer this ORT over Joyner.

Justin Britt the 6-6 330 pound ORT started 16 games for the NFC Champions Seahawks.

Another decent prospect was Jack Mewhort 6-6 310 pounder who started 14 games for the Colts in several posts. I think his best post in the NFL is RT. Either of these two OT would be a better solution than a Garrett Reynolds or a high cap hit Joe Barksdale.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We have a thread on this forum asking if we should sign Jonathan Martin. We have long since passed time to panic. Armageddon is at hand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
4M for Wiz, that actually seems pretty reasonable. I originally thought he would seek 6M. Instead of throwing 1.1 at Reynolds, I would rather pony up a little extra for a starter and build depth via the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With Barron,McLeod,and McDonald getting a lot of snaps idk how Joyner could get any significant time on the field.And the whole issue is the o-line, IMHO had fisher gone o- line with the Joyner and Alexander picks we would most likely be set or very close to it.Now he has to find and sign at least 2 free agent lineman when he could've had 1 or 2 on rookie contracts so it effects the salary cap as well.

If like you said Fisher had not traded up for DB Joyner that would have changed the draft for the Rams where they would of had a #44 pick in the second rd. & the #153 pick in the 5th rd. Now if they would have done as you are suggesting then they could have had the opportunity to select these OL'ers in place.

2nd rd.#44-ORT Justin Britt started all Seahawks games
4th rd. #110-OC Russell Bodine started all Bengal games
5th rd. #153- ORG Cyril Richardson started 4 games & played in 12 for the Bills

If Fisher wanted to he could have had the following draft with the top five rounds.
First #2-Robinson OLT
First #13-Zack Martin ORG
Second #44-Justin Britt ORT
Third #75-Mason RB
Fourth #110-Russell Bodine OC
Fifth #153-Cyril Richardson ORG

If Fisher wanted too the Rams starting OL might have looked like this last season. Now this unit would be one of the youngest & strongest upcoming OL's in the NFL! All they had to do was think OL'er a little harder...its not hard. No way Fisher or Bou would have started four rookies. so you don't get this below OL never!

OLT- Greg Robinson
OLG- Rodger Saffold
OC- Russell Bodine
ORG- Zack Martin
ORT- Justin Britt

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
No need to panic until August or September. A lot can still be done and sorted out between now and then. The optimist in me hopes the Rams have several capable starters already on the roster for the three holes they have. Realistically I think they have one of the starters already on the roster for one of the three open spots (Jones or Rhaney at C). IMO, the biggest hole on the line is probably right tackle (assuming Saffold stays at guard) but spending the 10th pick in the draft for one of the current tackle prospects is a bit of a reach. This draft has lot of very good line prospects but none that are considered great prospects so that may actually work to the Rams advantage allowing them to get some quality in rounds 2-4 without reaching for one at the 10th spot.

With offensive line being considered one of the deeper potion groups and that coinciding with the Rams biggest need, I will be very surprised (and irritated) if our Rams do not grab at least 2 linemen in the fist 4 rounds (Barring any trades).

V3

Hall of Fame
No need to panic until August or September. A lot can still be done and sorted out between now and then. The optimist in me hopes the Rams have several capable starters already on the roster for the three holes they have. Realistically I think they have one of the starters already on the roster for one of the three open spots (Jones or Rhaney at C). IMO, the biggest hole on the line is probably right tackle (assuming Saffold stays at guard) but spending the 10th pick in the draft for one of the current tackle prospects is a bit of a reach. This draft has lot of very good line prospects but none that are considered great prospects so that may actually work to the Rams advantage allowing them to get some quality in rounds 2-4 without reaching for one at the 10th spot.

With offensive line being considered one of the deeper potion groups and that coinciding with the Rams biggest need, I will be very surprised (and irritated) if our Rams do not grab at least 2 linemen in the fist 4 rounds (Barring any trades).
I think the time to panic is if they still don't have all the holes filled after the 2nd round of the draft. At that point, the only people available will be cast-offs and rookies that shouldn't be expected to perform very well in their first year.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think the time to panic is if they still don't have all the holes filled after the 2nd round of the draft. At that point, the only people available will be cast-offs and rookies that shouldn't be expected to perform very well in their first year.

At that point I will not be panicked but my level of concern will surely be heightened. However, between the draft and the end of camp the Rams can still address the need.
Who knows, maybe they find a gem out of what they already have.
Maybe they bring back a Long on the cheap (I know that is not popular with some but I like Long).
Other options include picking up a FA vet, making a trade, or even getting a bargain from a post June 1st cap cut.

With all that said I hope they draft offensive line early and often.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams working on rebuilding offensive line
By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/story/1531865-rams-working-on-rebuilding-offensive-line

The St. Louis Rams’ remaking of their offensive line has gone slowly over the past few weeks, but coach Jeff Fisher told reporters at the owners’ meetings this week that they aren’t going to panic.

The Rams currently only have two returning starters from last season’s offensive line: left tackle Greg Robinson and left guard Rodger Saffold.

St. Louis released center Scott Wells and Jake Long, the previous starter at left tackle before suffering a season-ending injury, in salary cap-savings moves. Starting right tackle Joe Barksdale and starting right guard Davin Joseph are unrestricted free agents, as is reserve center Tim Barnes. The Rams lost reserve lineman Mike Person after he signed with the Atlanta Falcons.

The only free agent signing for the Rams along the offensive line so far this offseason is Barrett Reynolds, who has experience as a guard and tackle and likely projects as the back-up swing tackle.

So Reynolds is added to a group that includes Robinson, Saffold and returning reserves Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington, Travis Bond and Demetrius Rhaney, a center drafted in the seventh round a year ago who missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury.

“Barrett showed that he can play and we have confidence in Demetrius Rhaney,” Fisher told ESPN.com’s Nick Wagoner. “We have Greg and Rodg. We’ve added Garrett so we’ve got depth and we’re kind of excited about what direction we’re headed.”

The Rams have said they would like to re-sign Barksdale at the right price and it’s possible that Barnes and Joseph could both return under the right deals as well.

St. Louis has been linked to having interest in free agent center Stefen Wisniewski and guard Justin Blalock, who are both still available, and should have enough financial flexibility to sign both of those players — and Barksdale — if that’s what they choose to do.

The Rams will also have plenty of options to add some big guys through the NFL Draft, which is considered deep in offensive linemen this year.

St. Louis could use its first-round draft pick (No. 10 overall) to either take one of those linemen, like Iowa’s Brandon Scherff, or could possibly trade down, acquire more picks and still land a quality line prospect like LSU’s La’el Collins, Miami’s Ereck Flowers, Stanford’s Andrus Peat, Pittsburgh’s T.J. Clemmings, Florida’s D.J. Humphries or Florida State’s Cameron Erving.

There’s still plenty of work to do for the Rams, and time to make moves, but Fisher apparently isn’t too concerned about how the offensive line looks right now.