Desired Destination & Cap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
What is something we can take pride in is how this franchise has become one of the most desirable free agent and draft destinations in the NFL. We often hear how players on other teams would love to be a Ram. The team culture is not something that should be overlooked. It's that culture that allows the team to weather the hard times and not fracture. Guys like Fowler, and Ramsey, Mathews, and Weddle have all expressed how this was their optimum choice of destinations. Once here they do not want to leave. Pending FA's like Whitworth and Brockers are very open about their desire to stay. Suh, Mathews, Bortles, and Weddle among others took discounts to play in LA with the Rams.

People are surprised when top free agents are signed by the Rams. I'm not because players have made it clear, the team culture in LA is something not normally found on other teams. The team wants to win as much as they do. You only have to look at the other LA team to see the exact opposite. This is why I don't see any major impediment to the Rams re-signing their key free agents like Fowler and Littleton.

From Therams.com
*S Eric Weddle and CB Nickell Robey-Coleman have team options that can be picked up before the 2020 league year begins. If the options are not picked up, they become unrestricted free agents.

Of that list, only Fowler and Littleton would be considered priority signings. Zuerlein IMO will be offered a one year prove it deal at best or just as likely they will draft a kicker. I think Christian has proved he's a starter and will want to move to a team where he can be a starter. Bortles is a toss up and no real loss if he moves on but IMO he would be wise to stay one more year. NRC and Hill are trade bait as they have Williams a better and more versatile CB and their 2020 contracts are a bit high for backups and the emergence of Williams makes one or both expendable.

That's why when people start saying there won't be enough money to sign Fowler and Littleton, it doesn't make sense. Neither one is going to be a bank breaker. I doubt Hager, Thomas and Blythe make this team next year anyway. Snead himself has said the stuff about being in a cap crisis isn't true. It's all about reallocating money from one set of players to another. Looking at the roster it's very clear to me.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I think they would like to keep Fowler but I feel like it's either him or Whitworth (Both will make $15m++ and i hope im wrong and we keep both) and I dont see any viable in house candidates that I would be comfortable with protecting Goff unless Edwards, Noteboom, or Evans make some HUGE strides. Whit is still the BEST o lineman we had this year and he played well as the season wore on...

I think they keep Blythe and why not? He's a serviceable center and can back up at G. He's not a pro bowler or even an ideal starter but I feel comfortable with him coming off the bench if a starting G or C goes down...

Littleton is a baller, I hope they make it work. If they don't, id like to see more of T. Howard. They talk him up and he's made some plays in coverage, would be nice to see what they have in him...

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I think they would like to keep Fowler but I feel like it's either him or Whitworth (Both will make $15m++ and i hope im wrong and we keep both) and I dont see any viable in house candidates that I would be comfortable with protecting Goff unless Edwards, Noteboom, or Evans make some HUGE strides. Whit is still the BEST o lineman we had this year and he played well as the season wore on...

I think they keep Blythe and why not? He's a serviceable center and can back up at G. He's not a pro bowler or even an ideal starter but I feel comfortable with him coming off the bench if a starting G or C goes down...

Littleton is a baller, I hope they make it work. If they don't, id like to see more of T. Howard. They talk him up and he's made some plays in coverage, would be nice to see what they have in him...

Whatever happened to Kiser??? I was thrilled when the Rams drafted him and I really thought he would become a very important part of the Rams Defense within a few years! Was I totally wrong?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Whit is not making $15M.
That is flat ridiculous.
Maybe...maybe $10M.
IMHO of course.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think Whitworth will stay for much less than $16M.

He mentioned in his last interview that he would like to stay in football past his playing days.

Assuming he likes living in LA, which might not be a good assumption, but if he does I could see him staying next year on a Weddle-like deal with the assurance that he joins the org following his last season.

I think when McVay mentions that they will sit down with Whit next week and talk that is part of that discussion.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
So I posted this in another thread. What if the Rams got creative with Whit - signing him for 3 years $21m with only 1 year guaranteed. The option to retain him for a 2nd or 3rd year would be the up to the Rams based on when a replacement LT is readied. The kicker would be an agreement to retain Whit as an assistant coach after year 1 and pay him a substantial salary - say $1m/year. They get Whit as insurance until a viable LT replacement is ready and retain his leadership/ expertise as a coach when he hangs up the cleats. It sets up Whit for at least 1 more year at a substantial salary but guarantees his entry into the coaching world at a salary higher than most assistance coaches. There are no limits that I am aware of for coaching salaries.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whatever happened to Kiser??? I was thrilled when the Rams drafted him and I really thought he would become a very important part of the Rams Defense within a few years! Was I totally wrong?

Pfft. Last offseason I was lambasted (and one or two long term posters blocked me) for daring to suggest that after a rookie season where he played literally zero non-special team snaps, the Rams should have had a plan B in case he didn't work out, after being drafted #147 the previous year (i.e., in the second half of the draft). I argued then that the Rams should have made an effort to get someone to compete with him, and that was clearly the case in retrospect.

IF he stays healthy, he could still work out - but the Rams need options for ILB. Fortunately, such players can be found with effort and luck in the middle rounds, or for relatively cheaply as free agents. Using a late 7th rounder who had shown he deserved to be drafted then (Hager) as the alternative is not a good idea though.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What is something we can take pride in is how this franchise has become one of the most desirable free agent and draft destinations in the NFL. We often hear how players on other teams would love to be a Ram. The team culture is not something that should be overlooked. It's that culture that allows the team to weather the hard times and not fracture. Guys like Fowler, and Ramsey, Mathews, and Weddle have all expressed how this was their optimum choice of destinations. Once here they do not want to leave. Pending FA's like Whitworth and Brockers are very open about their desire to stay. Suh, Mathews, Bortles, and Weddle among others took discounts to play in LA with the Rams.

People are surprised when top free agents are signed by the Rams. I'm not because players have made it clear, the team culture in LA is something not normally found on other teams. The team wants to win as much as they do. You only have to look at the other LA team to see the exact opposite. This is why I don't see any major impediment to the Rams re-signing their key free agents like Fowler and Littleton.

From Therams.com
*S Eric Weddle and CB Nickell Robey-Coleman have team options that can be picked up before the 2020 league year begins. If the options are not picked up, they become unrestricted free agents.

Of that list, only Fowler and Littleton would be considered priority signings. Zuerlein IMO will be offered a one year prove it deal at best or just as likely they will draft a kicker. I think Christian has proved he's a starter and will want to move to a team where he can be a starter. Bortles is a toss up and no real loss if he moves on but IMO he would be wise to stay one more year. NRC and Hill are trade bait as they have Williams a better and more versatile CB and their 2020 contracts are a bit high for backups and the emergence of Williams makes one or both expendable.

That's why when people start saying there won't be enough money to sign Fowler and Littleton, it doesn't make sense. Neither one is going to be a bank breaker. I doubt Hager, Thomas and Blythe make this team next year anyway. Snead himself has said the stuff about being in a cap crisis isn't true. It's all about reallocating money from one set of players to another. Looking at the roster it's very clear to me.

OK, let me just say this then, ... you've been so so wrong in previous discussions over CAP availability, please just be specific this time about who stays, who goes and what you believe are the costs associated with your hypothesis. I'm in no way saying it's impossible to re-sign both Fowler & Littleton, especially if you plan to invade the restructure bank, but this time you need to spell it out. No more puff pieces, just give us the players using todays already published CAP numbers, and tell us how you make each re-signed player on the 53 roster fit within the CAP. 44 players are already under contract for 2020, so this shouldn't be all that difficult.
Thanks in advance.

fearsomefour

Legend
Would like to keep Littleton, Fowler, Brockers, Whitworth, Christian and Zuerline of the players on that list.
Who do I think will stay?
Christian & Zuerline.
Whitworth maybe.
Littleton maybe.
If I could keep just one it would be Littleton.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So I posted this in another thread. What if the Rams got creative with Whit - signing him for 3 years $21m with only 1 year guaranteed. The option to retain him for a 2nd or 3rd year would be the up to the Rams based on when a replacement LT is readied. The kicker would be an agreement to retain Whit as an assistant coach after year 1 and pay him a substantial salary - say $1m/year. They get Whit as insurance until a viable LT replacement is ready and retain his leadership/ expertise as a coach when he hangs up the cleats. It sets up Whit for at least 1 more year at a substantial salary but guarantees his entry into the coaching world at a salary higher than most assistance coaches. There are no limits that I am aware of for coaching salaries.
No way he has a bunch of kids & a family man. Just loves the game right now . Enjoys being a mentor.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

got injured, but there is questions about his speed especially after the injury.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm actually a little worried about the Rams' culture as it pertains to the vets. The veteran days off thing is fine when guys are producing, but this season might have changed that equation a bit. McVay is a young HC and is still learning and will always take care of his players, but he might need to reevaluate his preseason and camp approach and instill a little more physicality in the program.

The book on the 2019 Rams was to physically challenge them and hit 'em in the mouth. We were a finesse team. IMO that needs to change which will require more than some new personnel.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pfft. Last offseason I was lambasted (and one or two long term posters blocked me) for daring to suggest that after a rookie season where he played literally zero non-special team snaps, the Rams should have had a plan B in case he didn't work out, after being drafted #147 the previous year (i.e., in the second half of the draft). I argued then that the Rams should have made an effort to get someone to compete with him, and that was clearly the case in retrospect.

IF he stays healthy, he could still work out - but the Rams need options for ILB. Fortunately, such players can be found with effort and luck in the middle rounds, or for relatively cheaply as free agents. Using a late 7th rounder who had shown he deserved to be drafted then (Hager) as the alternative is not a good idea though.

Reader who was a udrfa had 50 tackles this season. Howard filled in for Littleton this last game against the Cards. Did okay, but Snead messed up.

I was pissed when he made that comment about Littleton, especially when he was going to be the MIC. PAY him !!! The Rams could have licked Corey up for a excellent deal. What because of where he was taken as a UDRFA you don’t pay him his worth moving to your starting MLB ?? Littleton will never forgive Ir forget !!! He will move on !! Snead knows this & wonders if it will carry over in house !!!

My thing now as when Snead first became GM. Get rid of all your kickers & start fresh !! Hekker was a UDRFA !!! What does he make ??? Greg the Leg yes was drafted, but injuries. Yes Mcjake is just a LOng Snapper!!
Time to start fresh. How good is Fosel !!

Mcvay was pissed when he went for it on there own 25 & failed in the first qrt against Zona. Lol !! All love , but tough decisions . Think there needs to be change !! HopefuLily they can make Corey happy, but time to move on from his counter mate Hager as well.

Ram65

Legend
I'm not sure how the Rams can make multiple resignings happen. We have to remember that they will have incentives taken off the approx $26 million cap space. That leaves them with around $20 million remaining. A long term deal for Ramsey can give them back a few million dollars.

I guess they could give Whitworth a two year deal with a nice signing bonus which they could eat half of the following year when they have more money. Give him a $6 million signing bonus and a $4 million salary. That would make his cap hit only $7 million next year. He gets $10 Million for the year. Rams eat 3M following year.

It would be nice to resign Littleton. I can see a four year deal with a very good signing bonus. If he would agree to a range of 12M a year he could only cost 9-10M against the cap.

Whatever the Rams do they are going to have to find some more cap space. Cuts of Mathews and Weddle would bring in some space. That is right about 8M. NRC is another 4M if they decide to go that way with Hill at near 3M. The first two are likely while they would have to replace the other two which isn't easy. There certainly could be some restructuring of a couple of deals.

Rams
20M Current space after incentives.
8M Weddle and Mathews cuts
3M Ramsey savings with long term deal
---------------------
31M Total.

Resign
10M Littleton
7M Whitworth
------------------
17M Total

That might be a little low for Littleton and Whitworth but in the ballpark, I hope. That leaves 14M for rookies, other RFA and JZ. Demoff and Pastorri can find another 5-8M by restructuring or other cut mentioned. Rams could still have 19-22M to help sign a free agent. Just typing on the fly to see what is possible. Looking at the cap number of 20M may not be as bad as it seems.

Stump23

Rookie
I would bet that some team will offer Zuerlein more money than we have budgeted to resign him. Bittersweet for me because he still is way more consistent than most of the kickers in the league today. This season he missed a couple of key kicks, but missed way fewer than Seattle, Dallas kickers.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

He's a long shot lets be honest. He didn't really show too much in preseason and he's had a hard time staying healthy. Might he be a good player? Maybe, but the Rams staff needs to be sure that he's going to be an upgrade over Reeder.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I would bet that some team will offer Zuerlein more money than we have budgeted to resign him. Bittersweet for me because he still is way more consistent than most of the kickers in the league today. This season he missed a couple of key kicks, but missed way fewer than Seattle, Dallas kickers.

You're probably right. I like Greg but he missed too many big kicks this year. Kicks that could and would have changed outcomes of key games. One in SF and one in SEA. If you're going to get paid like a top kicker you need to make those kicks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LA Rams cap overview for 2020
By Ken Arthur Jab 28,2020

The Los Angeles Rams may have more attention on their payroll than any other team in the NFL. The good news about that is that the Rams have a lot of players who have been worthy of high contract values in the past and the roster is quite talented. The bad news is that they are running out of space, have notable free agents to retain, and not every player looks as worthy of those high value deals as they did at the time....................

Click above to read further into the article.