Derrick Henry Scouting Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I know the Rams aren't looking to get Henry and I don't want them to. But I still think it's fun to analyze the Heisman winner, especially when it's not a QB. Here we go:

Size: Henry is BIG! Honestly, he's a little too big for my taste. He's 6'3" and 243 pounds. His height makes it hard to drop his pads to the ideal level. His size does allow him to bounce off of tackles and run through contact. He carries more of his weight in his upper body than in his legs which isn't ideal. But he's built well all over. (7/10)

Power: This is probably Henry's biggest strength, along with durability. He has great power when he gets moving and keeps his legs churning after contact. He needs to get moving before that power becomes evident though, as he goes down easier than you would think when he hasn't had a chance to get that big body moving. (8/10)

Speed: Henry is faster on the top end than you would expect for a guy his size. He's no AP, but he shows good speed when he gets to the second level. He doesn't get going very quickly though. He's like a diesel truck, he needs time to get moving but once he does he's hard to stop. However, at the NFL level, the time he has to get moving will be greatly reduced. (7/10)

Vision: Henry displays good vision but he's not elite in this category. Playing behind Alabama's O-line makes finding the right hole much easier (see Trent Richardson). He is best when following a lead blocker through the hole and might struggle in a zone run scheme. He prefers to run north and south but will hesitate to set up blockers first. Sometimes he hesitates too much. I would give him a 7/10 in this category but, given the history of this Alabama O-line, I have to subtract a point. (6/10).

Agilty: You obviously don't expect a guy who's as big as Henry to have the agility of Barry Sanders and this holds true with Henry. He isn't great at sticking his foot in the ground and making quick cuts. I don't know if I've ever seen him make a great jump cut. He has great balance which helps him stay on his feet after contact but his quickness and agility are not elite by any standard. (6/10).

Durability: This is where Henry shines. He has had several games of over 40 carries and he just keeps on chugging. He doesn't have a significant injury history and can take a workhorse load at the NFL level. Teams may be wary of how many carries Henry has had this year but he hasn't had too many in his Freshman and Junior seasons. Like I mentioned earlier, he's a diesel truck. (9/10).

Versatility: Henry is a willing blocker and has great size to take on incoming linebackers. That is about the end of his versatility though. He's not a great receiver and will not be used as one at the next level. Henry is a runner and that is what he'll be used for in the NFL. (5/10)

Overall: (48/70) Henry is probably a 2nd round back with a good future as a workhouse power back. He has power, durability, and a big body. He is a bit of a risk though. How many successful #1 backs in NFL history have been 6'3" and 243 pounds? Not many. I'm also, like with Wisconsin, immediately skeptical of any running back that comes out of Alabama. That line has a knack for making runners look better than they really are. I do think Henry can be a solid back if he can become a little quicker and develop his vision at the next level.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am usually leary of a RB that runs behind an Alabama Oline, especially one of that size. Is it hard work to stay at that size and what happens when money is suddenly not a factor and they can eat whatever they want. Eddie Lacy comes to mind. However so does Earl Campbell and Jerome Bettis. I think a team would have to pattern their offense off a guy like that, similar to how the Steelers and John Riggins Redskins did. But, it is a gamble.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fisher took a liking to another 6-3 240 pound RB named Eddie George.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher took a liking to another 6-3 240 pound RB named Eddie George.

George was around 235 and was a better athlete IMO. Also, although I do like Eddie George, he wasn't THAT incredible. He only averaged 3.6 YPC over his career.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Fish burns one of our 2nd round picks on another RB I'm gonna... :headexplosion:

I think he's gonna take a beating in the NFL in the way a lot of big backs do. The dude does run with power though, and that will play so long as he follows his blocks up until he gets too dinged up to go.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
If Fish burns one of our 2nd round picks on another RB I'm gonna... :headexplosion:

I think he's gonna take a beating in the NFL in the way a lot of big backs do. The dude does run with power though, and that will play so long as he follows his blocks up until he gets too dinged up to go.

Here's what's going to be Henry's problem in the NFL, he doesn't have good burst so hitting the hole quickly will be hard for him. Also, I think he needs to be in a power run scheme and not many teams run that anymore. Most of it is zone running which requires a little more patience, burst, and agility.
I hope Henry does well cause he seems like a nice enough guy. But I think he might struggle, especially at first. If I was given the option between him and a guy like Alex Collins from Arkansas I'd probably have to go with Collins.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I've been doing a bit more digging into Henry's tape and I'm becoming less and less impressed by him. He is not optimally built with his huge upper body and long, skinnier legs. I see him get tripped up and tackled low a LOT because of this. It hinders how much power he can use in that big frame. I've even seen him just plain out fall down when barely hit in his legs.

He also has very slow feet. If his designed hole isn't wide open and he has to cut and go somewhere else it is usually not a pretty sight. Playing behind Bama's O-line meant this wasn't often an issue, but it will be at the next level. I honestly wouldn't look at Henry until the 3rd Round at the earliest. If the Cowboys get him he may do alright. But if he is picked by a team that doesn't have a good line than he might be in big trouble. He doesn't have the acceleration and feet to make his own room on plays that are well defended.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Lacy 2.0 he going to struggle unless he has a fantastic line. Cowgirls would be a good fit for him.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Lacy 2.0 he going to struggle unless he has a fantastic line. Cowgirls would be a good fit for him.

Which is why I don't want them to get him, lol. I want to see if he can be productive on a team like the Browns or Oakland.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Gurley is so much better. :yess:

Actually had a Bama fan try to argue with me about that the other day. He said Henry was every bit the NFL prospect TG was. He even said Kenyan Drake was better than Todd. I just laughed at him. "Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain