Demoff: Rams ready to extend Bradford now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
By Gregg Rosenthal

St. Louis Rams fans continue to wait for Sam Bradford to play like a No. 1 overall pick. He hasn't played poorly through four seasons, but he often leaves observers wanting more.

It begs the question: When might the Rams' front office think about alternatives?

Thankfully, we have NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Media Columnist Mike Silver to ask these types of questions. Rapoport and Silver spent time with Rams coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead and Rams president Kevin Demoff in St. Louis this week.

"We have decided that Sam Bradford is our guy. If they came to us and wanted to do a contract extension right now, we'd do it in a minute," Demoff told Silver.

Bradford's deal doesn't run out until 2015. He's due $27 million over the next two seasons, which is a lot of money for a mid-level starter.

Rapoport and Silver reported on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access Kickoff" that Bradford is in no rush to work on an extension. Bradford knows how highly the Rams think of him, but he'd like to wait until he has the stats to back up the kind of contract he wants. (We'd argue that Bradford doesn't have the stats to back up the contract he has now.)

If the stats don't come this season, Rapoport reports that Bradford will play another season and reassess after 2014.

Bradford is not going anywhere, and there is no pressure to do a new contract soon. He's owed a lot of money in the next two years, and the Rams clearly are on board with paying it.

At some point, Bradford is going to have to play like a top-shelf starter in order to get paid like one. Bradford has time on his side.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000251130/article/rams-would-be-happy-to-extend-sam-bradfords-contract?campaign=Twitter_atl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... witter_atl</a>

[nfl]0ap2000000251118[/nfl]

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Don't post that on RamsTalk, because heads will literally explode

I don't think you want to be charged with murder or inciting a riot

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I love Bradford, and think he's here to stay for at least one contract extension.

With that said, is it possible that he takes a pay cut by a couple mil a year if his stats don't increase?
I mean his previous contract was the highest ever and right before the new CBA.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
QB is the hardest position to fill on any team. There are no guarantees in FA or the draft.

We can win with Sammy.

He's been good. He's got the potential to be very good as he gains more experience.

I hope we extend the dude and he's a Ram for 10 more years. But as the article suggests there is no rush.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
Don't post that on RamsTalk, because heads will literally explode

I don't think you want to be charged with murder or inciting a riot
lol. No doubt. The sound of 1000 bowels simultaneously evacuating would be deafening.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If people think Bradford is overpaid, we need to take a look at our 15 million dollar CB thats sitting on the bench right now. That's my biggest concern with our current salary cap.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't. I'm nearing the point of hoping we fire the HC and cut the QB. This is atrocious.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
Don't. I'm nearing the point of hoping we fire the HC and cut the QB. This is atrocious.

jrry been drink'n?

:lmao:

A55VA6

Legend
jrry32 said:
Honestly, I feel the same...

Johnny Manziel? Oh wait, Jeff Fisher is our coach. He won't draft him.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
This should be the furthest thing on Snead's list of things to do regarding this team. He has way too many other issues facing him at this point. This team is lost and they are staring at the No. 1 pick in the 2014 draft. Just hope that our pick from Washington gives us the No. 2 pick.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No thanks.
Let Sam play the season out and hang on to those two first rd picks.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
That would be the worst decision this team has made since letting Martz draft players.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It might be time for Kroenke to have a serious talk with Fisher about his coordinators and his QB pick

V3

Hall of Fame
If they re-sign Bradford, the fans won't show up next year.

fearsomefour

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
QB is the hardest position to fill on any team. There are no guarantees in FA or the draft.

We can win with Sammy.

He's been good. He's got the potential to be very good as he gains more experience.

I hope we extend the dude and he's a Ram for 10 more years. But as the article suggests there is no rush.

At this point the question is would Sam want to stay?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
CGI_Ram said:

We can win with Sammy.

At this point I think an extension isn't really feasible. His agent is a pain in the ass, and based on these past few games, his value is dipping. If he lights it up the rest of the way, then I'm sure his agent will want to institute those kinds of talks. But if they let Bradford get to free agent status (or a year before it), then you may be right. What's his incentive to stick around after the way he's been developed so far?

fearsomefour

Legend
X said:
fearsomefour said:
CGI_Ram said:

We can win with Sammy.

At this point I think an extension isn't really feasible. His agent is a pain in the ass, and based on these past few games, his value is dipping. If he lights it up the rest of the way, then I'm sure his agent will want to institute those kinds of talks. But if they let Bradford get to free agent status (or a year before it), then you may be right. What's his incentive to stick around after the way he's been developed so far?

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I still see so much positive stuff with Bradford. Maybe I am delusional. Part of the frustration fans have with Bradford isent about Bradford....its about seeing guys come into the league (Wilson, Kap, RGknee, Luck) come into the league and have success right away.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
X said:
fearsomefour said:
CGI_Ram said:

We can win with Sammy.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I still see so much positive stuff with Bradford. Maybe I am delusional. Part of the frustration fans have with Bradford isent about Bradford....its about seeing guys come into the league (Wilson, Kap, RGknee, Luck) come into the league and have success right away.
I hear ya. The "read only 1/2 of the field" QBs who can run are pretty flashy. I know Bradford has the tools. I know he does. I keep likening him to Brady (hear me out) due to the fact that neither of them are creators of plays with their legs. But sonofabitch, Brady gets about 10 minutes to look around the field before he throws, and I keep seeing Bradford with a defender within 4 inches of him at all times. I have a really hard time understanding how there's such a discrepancy between those two units (NE's OL and STL's OL). The times Bradford gets that luxury of a great pocket, he can make any throw. ANY throw (except for tonight).

Sucks that it has to be perfect for him to succeed, but that's who they drafted and they knew it ahead of time. Fisher and Snead knew who he was when they dedicated themselves to helping him succeed. And yet, everyone keeps trying to make him into something he's not. Put him in the gun and let him call the plays.

FRAK!

RamEERS

Pastor
one bad game and we crucify the kid...
lay off the beer and sober up before you post..
basically this is what i saw... crap play calling leading to bradford losing confidence and just throwing bad bad throws... he was fine in the first half... then we abandoned everything and he just lost it...

lets hope he bounces back... he has the tools... if only the coaches would let him use it