Deion Sanders says Colts stole other teams’ signals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...sanders-says-colts-stole-other-teams-signals/

NFL Network’s Deion Sanders says Colts stole other teams’ signals
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 8, 2017

605918450-e1486551950185.jpg
Getty Images

Hall of Fame cornerback and NFL Network commentator Deion Sanders says the Indianapolis Colts stole other teams’ defensive signals, everyone in the NFL knew about it, and no one did anything.

Sanders made the allegation on NFL Network after his colleague, LaDainian Tomlinson said some critics will put an asterisk next to the Patriots’ success because of Spygate.

“Those same critics, did they say anything about the wins that the Indianapolis Colts had? You want to talk about that too? Because they were getting everybody’s signals,” Sanders said. “Come on, you don’t walk up to the line and look over here and the man on the sideline giving you the defense that they’ve stolen the plays of. We all knew. L.T. knew. Everybody in the NFL knew. We just didn’t let the fans know. That was real and that was happening in Indy.”

Sanders did not say when that was happening or who was involved, but he sounded like he was describing the years when Peyton Manning was the Colts’ quarterback. Sanders has criticized Manning in the past, but we’ve never heard this allegation before.

If Sanders can back up this assertion, he should — and the NFL should thoroughly investigate. If he can’t back it up, it’s incredibly odd that he’d say it on the league’s own network, a network that the Colts partially own.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ling-signals-its-been-done-legally-for-years/

Tony Dungy on stealing signals: It’s been done legally for years
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 8, 2017

tony-dungy-coach-sidelines-getty-images-e1457373963312.jpg
Getty Images

Former Colts coach Tony Dungy says he’s baffled that Deion Sanders would suggest the Colts were doing something wrong by stealing signals during Dungy’s tenure as coach and Peyton Manning’s tenure as quarterback, because Dungy says all 32 teams steal each other’s signals.

Dungy said this morning on PFT Live that stealing signals is a legal and smart tactic in the NFL, and Sanders is wrong to conflate it with Spygate, in which the Patriots broke NFL rules by videotaping opposing teams’ signals from the sideline.

In a long explanation of the history of signal stealing, Dungy said it happens all the time and has for most of NFL history.

“I think we have to go back to what is cheating,” Dungy said. “People accusing us of cheating? I don’t think that’s the case. Stealing signals? You can go back to the 1800s in baseball, you can go anywhere there were signals done, and people were looking and watching and trying to get signals.

Back in the early days of football the quarterbacks called the plays and the middle linebackers called the defenses and there was no signaling. When coaches decided they wanted to call plays you had to find ways to get the information in and there were people watching.

My coach, Chuck Noll, was a messenger guard for Paul Brown in the ’50s because Paul Brown didn’t want to have to signal because people are going to watch them. So that’s what happens and it’s been done legally for years.

“I remember in 1991, I was an assistant coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. Steve DeBerg was our quarterback. He had played seven or eight years earlier for the 49ers. We were playing the 49ers and they hadn’t changed their signals at all.

Steve DeBerg called every play for us on the defensive sideline because Joe Montana and Bill Walsh hadn’t changed the signals since they’d been there. They beat us 28-14. We knew every play and they beat us. So that’s been part of football.

“Deion, I’m sure on every scouting report that he ever got, the first thing that’s on there on the defensive scouting reports, who is the live signal caller, who signals the personnel groups in. And that’s what happened. And you looked over there because you wanted to know as a defensive player: Is it going to be three wide receivers? Is it going to be two tight ends? Who’s in the game?

There’s a person over there signaling and Deion Sanders and every other defensive player would look at the offensive sideline to get that signal. So that is football. And I’m not sure what Deion is referring to, really.”

Dungy pointed out that the NFL now allows the quarterback and a defensive player to wear a headset in their helmets to hear from the coaches, which has changed — but not eliminated — signal stealing.

“That’s why you see these college teams now with four and five people signaling, with the posters and the pictures and all these different things because they don’t want people to have their signals.

In the NFL, they’ve gotten away from that with the coach to quarterback and coach to middle linebacker communication. But, yes, if you signal, there are going to be people who watch your signals and know what’s going to happen.

“When I was a defensive coordinator we went to wristbands because people steal signals. So you have a wristband that says No. 1 is this defense, No. 2 is this defense, you change it and everybody has done that for years and years and years. In our Super Bowl, we scored a touchdown to Reggie Wayne on a blown coverage because one of the Chicago players read the wristband wrong trying to get ahead of us.

I’ll give you the opposite side of the coin. We’re playing the Pittsburgh Steelers. I’m the coach of the Indianapolis Colts on a Monday night. Peyton Manning came to me before the game and said, ‘Bruce Arians used to be with us, is now coaching there, I know he’s told them our hand signals. I’m going to get them because I’m going to give a fake run signal and I know they’re going to bite because Bruce has told them our signals.’

And on the first play of the game, he gave a signal to Marvin Harrison, Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh’s corner, thought it was a run play, and it was an 82-yard touchdown.

“That’s all part of the game, but doing it legally and illegally, that’s the difference. I hope Deion is not saying we did something illegally. Of course we got signals when we had an opportunity to do that, and so did Deion.”

What was different with Spygate is that teams had specifically been instructed not to videotape opposing teams’ signals on the sideline during the game, and the Patriots did it anyway.

“It wasn’t getting signals, it was the process of videotaping and using electronic equipment during the game,” Dungy said of the difference between the Patriots and other teams.

What’s still unclear is why Sanders chose to single out the Colts for blame when, as Dungy says, the Colts did the same thing as everyone else. We’d like to hear Sanders clarify that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/08/claims-of-colts-stealing-signals-arent-new/

Claims of Colts stealing signals aren’t new
Posted by Mike Florio on February 8, 2017

When NFL Network’s Deion Sanders accused the Colts of stealing signals, many reacted by saying, “Why is this the first time we’re hearing this?”

It actually wasn’t.

More than eight years ago, I posted a blurb regarding a contention from John Madden of NBC’s Sunday Night Football that then-Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera believed the Colt had obtained San Diego’s defensive signals.

“If the Colts had the Chargers’ signals, would that mean that the Colts were cheating?” I wrote at the time. “It depends on how the Colts got them. If Indy’s advance scouts used a pencil and paper to crack the code, it’s fair game. But if they videotaped the signals, then it’s cheating.”

That’s essentially how former Colts coach Tony Dungy explained the situation during Wednesday’s PFT Live. We’ll be giving Deion a chance to join the show to elaborate on his claims — and to explain why he singled out the Colts for something that any other team could have been doing.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That’s essentially how former Colts coach Tony Dungy explained the situation during Wednesday’s PFT Live. We’ll be giving Deion a chance to join the show to elaborate on his claims — and to explain why he singled out the Colts for something that any other team could have been doing.
This is probably what Sanders wants. " To enhance his Brand!"

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Many teams stole signals. The PATRIOTS were filming them, usually with official NFL vests on the camera men. The filming of opponents signals was the illegal part.

…..

Legend
Stealing signals has been part of sports for ages. Thats why they use complicated signals, especially in baseball. No big deal Dion, hush tour pastoral mouth.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Dion...:blah: :blah: :blah:

If this is what we have to look forward to over the next few months, it's going to be an awful long off-season. By the way, "Hey Dion, STFU!"

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Stealing signals has been part of sports for ages. Thats why they use complicated signals, especially in baseball. No big deal Dion, hush tour pastoral mouth.

Deion should know he played baseball. Lol

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Is Deion getting confused which sport he's talking about? Lol Baseball been like this forever! We used to try and read signals in little league and HS in football and in college.

Filming walk throughs ( alledgedly) is a different story in FB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...res-back-at-criticism-of-his-cheating-claims/

Deion Sanders fires back at criticism of his cheating claims
Posted by Mike Florio on February 8, 2017

508680544-e1486584721664.jpg
Getty Images

After Super Bowl LI, NFL Network’s Deion Sanders proclaimed without facts that the Colts stole signals in the same time frame that the Patriots were caught videotaping defensive coaching signals. In response to the specific, thoughtful, detailed explanation from Hall of Fame Colts coach Tony Dungy regarding the issue of legal and illegal signal stealing, Deion has nothing to say.

Well, not nothing. He’s basically playing the “believe me” card and he’s attacking those who had the nerve to point out the things that, you know, he said on the air.

You know me and I don’t lie!” Sanders said on Twitter. (Actually, most of us don’t know Deion, and if every potential inaccuracy, exaggeration, or falsehood could be conclusively defended by saying “I don’t lie!” then any follow-up questions regarding matters of controversy or conflict would be met with that same answer.)

“I guess aint nobody sports wise got anything to fill their boring talk shows or columns up so they’re bringing up a old issue thats accurate,” Sanders separately said, firing a shot at those who reacted to his vague and incomplete allegations of cheating.

Oh, I’ve got plenty of things to fill up my boring talk show. But when a Hall of Famer and a high-profile TV analyst downplays proven cheating from one NFL franchise by declaring conclusively that another NFL franchise cheated in the same or similar way, that gets my attention.

We’ve separately invited Deion to call PFT Live for further discussion of the issue. NFL Network declined on his behalf. Unless and until Deion addresses the matter in a neutral setting with non-softball questions from a fellow league employee, I’m going to assume that he’s misinformed at best and flat-out spreading something other than the #truth at worst.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Either Deion was so good he didn't need to see & guess the signals...or he didn't pay attention at ALL in the DB meeting rooms.

IMO, non-story