Defensive Physicality is Key for Rams Versus Eagles --Farr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Defensive Physicality is Key for Rams Versus Eagles
By D'Marco Farr

http://www.101sports.com/2014/10/02/defensive-physicality-key-rams-versus-eagles/

I really liked what San Francisco did defensively against the Philadelphia Eagles last week. The Niners kept the coverage scheme simple, were extremely physical in the front seven and limited Philly to just one play from scrimmage that covered more than 20 yards (Nick Foles’ 22-yard pass to Jeremy Maclin in the fourth quarter).

The 49ers seemed less concerned about proper “run fits” than they were about destroying the breastplate of blockers and bending guys over backward. Defensive linemen Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Ian Williams are now setting the standard for interior toughness in this division. The Eagles were forced to punt six times on 11 possessions.

Blueprint.

The Rams, too, should have the physical edge Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field – I hope. They must win the hitting contest this weekend. Philly isn’t a physical football team. Its strength lies in a lightning-fast tempo. The Eagles snap the ball every 12 to 20 seconds depending on outcome of the play. If they have success on a play, the next snap is coming in about 13 seconds.

It’s impossible for me to get beyond one minor detail, though: Are the Rams going to be ready for NFC West opponents? The jury is still out, but it’s not looking great for the defendant. Right now the Seahawks, 49ers and Cardinals are living in a whole other realm as far as stopping opponents is concerned. All three teams are ranked in single digits in the NFL in yards allowed, yards per play and rushing yards allowed per game/per attempt. Currently, the Rams are pretty much bringing up the rear in those same categories (12th, 30th, 30th/30th).

In addition, the Rams’ four rushing TDs allowed is more than the rest of the division combined. This can’t – and won’t – be ignored come Sunday.

Physicality-centric mindset aside, think the linebacking trio of James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree and Jo-Lonn Dunbar has had occasional trouble controlling gap assignments so far? LeSean McCoy, regardless of his recent ineffectiveness, will challenge that second level like no other. Throw in a little Darren Sproles for good measure, and Week 3’s bout against DeMarco Murray could come across as child’s play compared to this matchup.

Oh, and a parting shot: Stupid penalties are about as useful as a rubber crutch. Between game officials revolutionizing football and poor technique, the Rams have granted 10 first downs via penalty. Surprisingly, that’s nothing compared to San Fran’s whopping 17 first downs allowed via penalty.

Rule enforcement at the NFL is over-indexing on stupidity. We’ll reserve that topic for another week.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
We have had success last year against these up tempo teams. Coming off the bye week I do expect us to contain Philadelphia. I would like to see more Aaron Donald this week. He could make a huge impact in this game. I hope Im not being foolishly optimistic but I really think we can win this game.

RamWoodie

Legend
There's a huge difference here if you're going to be REAL. That is a good approach HOWEVER, there's a huge disparity in the veteran experience of SF's defensive secondary and the Rams secondary.

The Rams secondary has it's hands full and let's be honest about the Ram front seven...THEY'VE BEEN JUST OK...and I kinda think most of it is coming together in Williams' scheme.

The Rams must control the ball offensively first of all, to keep the Eagle offense on the field! I think the best defensive approach for the secondary is to keep the WRs/RBs/TE's in front of them and try and get them to turn it over. Of course pressuring the QB is a must too.

To try and play another teams blueprint is good if you have the players to do that with. Borrow what you can from that, but do what YOU DO BEST.

That's the best approach.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We will live or we will die this week based upon our D's performance.

I think it's that simple...

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
We will live or we will die this week based upon our D's performance.

I think it's that simple...
I agree 100% . The d was there for the 1st half against Dallas than the bottom fell out.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is This the Weekend the Rams D Opens Up and Bounces Back?

Derek Stanley joined Kevin Wheeler on 101ESPN to talk about the decision at QB, the Rams D breaking out against the Eagles, going up against the fast-pace offense, and breaking down Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin.

Listen to Rams Discussion