Defensive linemen competition heated

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Defensive linemen competition heated

The LA Rams currently are fairly certain that Andrew Whitworth will start at the left offensive tackle, and Aaron Donald will start wherever he wants to on the defensive line. Beyond that, uncertainty begins to creep in. In a normal year, that uncertainty gathers amidst fans like dew on the blades of grass, waiting for OTAs and spring training to rapidly burn off the questions and focus the team’s hierarchy into the consensus depth chart long before the first snap of a preseason game.

But 2020 is not a typical season. The dawn of training camp and OTA’s will not shine for fans anytime soon. There is no visual evidence of which teams practice with the first string. So questions and uncertainty will linger longer than usual. That means that the tiering of NFL rosters will not be as cut-and-dry as it has been in the past. In a normal season, we would see the visual evidence of who was lining up as starters, and who was lining up as the third or fourth string and could form our own conclusions.

Virtual questions quarantined answers

2020 is different in so many ways. Coaches are meeting with players in a virtual format where plays are diagnosed and discussed. Afterward, players are sent back to their own resources with an honors system that they are following a healthy diet, are hydrating properly, are getting sufficient quality sleep, and are exercising and strength training properly. Most are doing exactly that, but some may cut corners.

If the season began today, the LA Rams starting three would most certainly be Aaron Donald, A’Shawn Robinson, and Michael Brockers backed up by Sebastian Joseph Day, Greg Gaines, and Morgan Fox. That is merely the like top six for the group. In 2019, The Rams only carried six defensive linemen on the 53-man roster. Will the 2020 makeup differ, as the defense under new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley will emphasize a more rapid rotation?

Fighting for roster roles

Twelve to six is certainly not very good odds for a player, particularly when three such roles are certain assignments. Eventually, all the players on the roster will gather and begin actual hands-on practices. At that point in time, we’ll begin to form a picture of who will be the Rams starters, and who will likely be making up supporting roles.

After all, the Rams signed defensive lineman A’Shawn Robinson after it appeared that Rams veteran Michael Brockers would sign elsewhere. When the Rams re-signed Brockers, that inadvertently bumped 2019 starter Sebastian Joseph Day down in the rotation. Meanwhile, young Greg Gaines, patiently awaiting his opportunity to add his run defense skills to the LA Rams defensive line, must place his own hopes for promotion on hold.

Sorting it all out

Of all the positions at or near the line of scrimmage, the defensive line seems to be the easiest to sort out. That is until you dive into the players who have been added to the defensive front. On paper, it’s a three-man front. That base 3-4 defense is the basic framework for the team’s structure. But the team has twelve competitors in the mix for those three spots, six of whom were on the Rams’ roster last season. They are joined by free agent A’Shawn Robinson, and five players added after the 2020 NFL Draft: Michael Hoecht, Sam Renner, Greg Reaves, Eric Banks, and Jonah Williams.

Of the group signed after the NFL Draft, Hoecht, Banks, Williams, and Renner are most likely defensive linemen. All are 6-foot-4 or taller, and tip the scales at over 270 pounds. Only Greg Reaves is a hybrid 6-foot-2, 241-pound defensive end/outside linebacker hybrid who could play as an OLB for the Rams defense for better odds of making the roster.

Competition for DL starts with special teams

The key to the defense’s success must be stopping the run in 2020. To do that, the team must be better than the 2019 version. That means that the Rams’ defensive line must be better, which opens the door for competition. While the team did not address the position in the draft, the addition of five players signed immediately after the 2020 NFL Draft suggests that the team is open to adding new faces to the roster this season.

Most of those additions need to excel on special teams. That is the primary route for rookies to stick on the team’s roster, and the LA Rams are most certainly interested in improving special teams play in 2020. Defensive linemen have a solid shot at making a special teams impact because they have the size to serve as temporary blockers while excelling at tackling in coverage. Covering punts and kickoffs can prove to be a distinct advantage in determining who makes final cuts for the team.

How many defensive linemen are the right number?

If the LA Rams were looking into a two or three defensive linemen front on plays, then six is a good number to carry into the 2020 season. But that’s a big IF, as the team will likely have some four, five, or even six defensive linemen packages in short-yardage and goal-line situations. Those defensive stands are best made by flooding the field with defensive linemen, as many as five or six, and forcing offenses to go big.

The LA Rams have six players who could start now. But if they add a new face, do they carry an extra defensive lineman, or do the Rams bump a veteran to the waiver wire? Perhaps they add two new faces, will that bump a returning veteran? Does improving the defense mean counting on improvements from returning players or swapping out new players with higher ceilings? By the time the LA Rams must make the roster cuts, they’ll need to have the answers to those questions. Until then, the competition will be fierce. What emerges from this competition will hopefully be a much more prepared defensive front.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If the season began today, the LA Rams starting three would most certainly be Aaron Donald, A’Shawn Robinson, and Michael Brockers backed up by Sebastian Joseph Day, Greg Gaines, and Morgan Fox. That is merely the likes top six for the group.

That does feel like a locked in group.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That does feel like a locked in group.

It does and barring injury seems like the six they will go with, however, I like newcomers Michael Hoecht 6-4 310lbs & Jonah Williams from Weber State who IMO, could give Morgan Fox a battle at DE. Marquise Copeland showed up in preseason games last year and could press, but with the six in Donald, Robinson, Brockers, Joseph-Day, Gaines & Fox, it appears that Fox would be the only one that could be in a battle as everybody appears to love Fox, I would just like to see him make a few plays.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It might be a case of who is in shape come practice time. Guys will have to be motivated self-starters, because not all have the Aaron Donald work ethic. Let's hope we don't have any more players like den's boy, Claude Wroten.... @den-the-coach

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's hope we don't have any more players like den's boy, Claude Wroten....

One of the downsides to the use of Marijuana is "The Munchies" Claude had them early & often.
1591114967963.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am thinking versatility is the key for this 2020 6 or 7 DL'ers. DL'ers who can only play one position will be diminished in value to this new DC. But the two that den named out at this time would seem to be the two who will give the most push to last seasons 2019 DL'ers.

DE Jonah Williams thus far appears to be ideal 5 tech DL'er to play behind Brockers but could see some 3 tech time. DT Mike Hoecht with that large girth & super speed could play anywhere on that 3 base DL. Former starter NT Joseph-Day might not be more than a one post player. IMO he is a pure NT nothing more.

Newby Robinson is sure to push SJD into a reserve role. Last season's back up NT Greg Gaines would look to have some better ability to play all 3 post in spot duty, but I am sure Henderson would desire Gaines to work primarily on backing up the NT post in his 2nd season.

Long time Ram & 6-3 275 lbs Morgan Fox needs to return to pre injury 2018 form & settle in behind Aaron Donald. I see Fox to replace Tanzel Smart & work the 3 tech post to go with his many yrs of experience as a 5 tech backup. In addition, his ability to play the edge rusher post back in 2018 gives him a leg up on overall versatility.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I still see us sticking with six at the most, and they're all solid. AD is AD, Brockers and Robinson are our other starters, SJD and Gaines are backups at nose and 5-tech, while Fox - who is the most likely to be replaced, although I doubt he will if he balls out - will be the backup to AD, but I can see us rolling with only five.

I do like Hoecht and Williams out of the prospects with have, and Copeland is intriguing as well.

It's going to be an absolute dogfight for the DL jobs.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What was the general assessment of Greg Gaines last year? I haven’t heard much of anything.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What was the general assessment of Greg Gaines last year? I haven’t heard much of anything.
Appeared like a typical rookie season for a rookie NT IMO. Played better than Tanzel Smart when on the field with the defense. GG did seem to get tied up/locked up with OL'ers way too often.

Primarily a pure NT who is more 0 tech than 1 tech. Under DC Wade Greg Gaines offered up little of what Wade desired in his DL'ers. GG was not used much due to Wade utilizing normally just 2 DL'ers inside flanked by edge rushers

The 6-1 GG realized & smartened up very early in TC, saying he needed to get lighter, quicker & stronger & then set out to accomplish the needed improvement in his rookie season. In the off season Snead rushed to sign UFA Robinson to replace the departed Brockers to be the 5 tech starter. Surprise Brockers returned to the Ram family DL congregation.

After the above Snead did not draft or later sign any other UDFA NT's. But did release part-time NT Tanzel Smart who had started some gms earlier @ NT & had snaps @ NT during his 3 seasons with the Rams. GG has not been involved in any articles or discussions that I can recall.

Right now I expect our new DC to run much more DL'ers on the field than Wade did. I do expect that future HOF Aaron Donald will be utilized everywhere in defensive front far more than his regular 3 tech post. GG will battle now reserve NT Sebastian Joseph-Day once again for back up snaps. I do not see GG being a starter this season.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
GG did seem to get tied up/locked up with OL'ers way too often.
I saw this too, and is why I'd be hesitant to play him at 5T. Gaines has a short frame and more importantly short arms, he struggled to disengage from OGs/Cs and with Tackles usually having longer arms disengaging would become more of a challenge. If he comes into this season quicker and stronger I think he could take over Smart's role as Donald's sub. Fox is also a good candidate for that role too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I saw this too, and is why I'd be hesitant to play him at 5T. Gaines has a short frame and more importantly short arms, he struggled to disengage from OGs/Cs and with Tackles usually having longer arms disengaging would become more of a challenge. If he comes into this season quicker and stronger I think he could take over Smart's role as Donald's sub. Fox is also a good candidate for that role too.
Good point on where he should focus his time #1 working to be the back up NT position. Then working hard to used his shorter frame @ the 3 tech post as a reserve too. I do not see him be effective in the 5 tech post.
With NT SJ-D most likely being shifted from his starting 2019 NT post to a reserve NT role would have a leg up on Gaines due to his higher degree of playing experience over him. However, I do not see SJ-D being as versatile as Gaines either. It's going to be interesting reading about the battle ongoing @ the reserve NT position. When the Rams have NFL experienced DL'ers like Brockers & Robinson both capable of play the NT as needed by the DC would make the need to have a 3rd NT make the master roster highly UN-likely.