Defensive End could be in Rams draft plans ESPN Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Come on guys. BPA period. This is how you hit on your first rounders and build a contender. The other part would be late round picks, which we seem to do pretty good on. Now if Snisher could just figure out the second round and the O-line as a whole.

But I still ride the pure BPA train.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Long, Hayes, and Sims are all about to turn 30, believe it or not. Dupree and Fowler would be the best fits out of the first round prospects.

I have seen others talk about Dupree at 10. I say no thanks. He is a great athlete but I don't feel his college play warrants a top ten selection. I have always felt he was a later first early second round player. If the Rams take him at 10, I will be disappointed.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
DO IT!!! I loooove DL picks. Sacking the QB feels just as good as a TD. We can resign Barks and draft a couple interior guys. I love pass rushers. We missed Long badly last year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Randy Gregory could drop because of his mary-jane issue
Would you be mad if they pulled the trigger on him?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Depending on 2 FA's like a very average Barksdale & an aged/worn Blalock to improve the OL:eek: without using your two top selections is one very big gamble.:whistle:

I'd say just the opposite. Depending up ROOKIES (top 2 selections or otherwise) who may need time to develop (Robinson, Joeckel, Fisher, Warmack, Matthews, Johnson) or may not even develop (Oher, Smith, Cooper, Kalil, Martin, Carimi, Sherrod, etc..) to upgrade the OLine is the much LARGER gamble. And it's not even close. :eek:

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
BPA in round 1 for me. I agree with Memphis about Gregory too. I think he is too light. I really think all of the top DEs, but Folwer are a bit light for a 4/3.

If the DE is too light and has trouble stopping the run because of it, then teams will just keep running at him. It creates a weakness that then has to be shored up, which reduces versatility and creativity. I recall teams running at Leonard Little all the time. I recall the Giants running at Chris Long over and over again last year.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Rams can always address DE next year or take late round flyer on HT-WT-Speed guy. Fowler and Dupree are the only top prospective pass rushers that fit as prototypical 4-3 DE's, all of the others seem to be better fits in the 3-4 scheme. Fowler will almost assuredly be gone by 10 and Dupree seems like a pretty big reach at 10, much more so that one of the offensive linemen who could be there IMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams can always address DE next year or take late round flyer on HT-WT-Speed guy. Fowler and Dupree are the only top prospective pass rushers that fit as prototypical 4-3 DE's, all of the others seem to be better fits in the 3-4 scheme. Fowler will almost assuredly be gone by 10 and Dupree seems like a pretty big reach at 10, much more so that one of the offensive linemen who could be there IMO.

Actually, I sorta question if Dupree will even be on the board at #10.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Actually, I sorta question if Dupree will even be on the board at #10.

I agree that he could be drafted in the top 10 in fact I hope he is taken in the top 9 so the Rams will not be tempted to take him and it will potentially push another good player (WR) to the Rams at 10.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Vic Beasley falls to 10 I'd have a hard time passing him up...scheme fit or not. Guy is a freak of nature.

jjab360

Legend
I have seen others talk about Dupree at 10. I say no thanks. He is a great athlete but I don't feel his college play warrants a top ten selection. I have always felt he was a later first early second round player. If the Rams take him at 10, I will be disappointed.
He's pretty raw, but his explosion is insane. If they didn't have him in coverage so often he would've been much more productive. Besides JPP, Quinn, Ansah, and a lot of good pass rushers have been really raw coming out of the draft lately and have done really well. With that position, it seems technique and production coming out of college is less an indicator of success than any other position in football.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I wouldn't mind Dupree but I'm a Kentucky fan. It's frustrating cheering for Kentucky football, given how inconsistent they are. I'm not completely sold on him, like I was Randall Cobb or Danny Trevathan. Funny that those two were drafted later than they should have been and Dupree could be a top 10 pick.

Sidenote
I'm no talent evaluater but I think Patrick Towles could be a heck of a QB. He's got the size and the arm. The UK play calling frustrates me. It's unfathomable how often they have him run the option. He's 6'5" 240 and not a burner.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Like Wagoner said if Long doesnt bounce back he might be released if he doesnt take a pay cut. Either way i think hes going to have to restructure or hes gone
I don't think so, not IF he play equal to or better than Quinn, and has double digit sacks!! JMO

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
The Rams were 16th in points per game allowed, at 22.1ppg. They were also 17th in yards allowed per game, at 351.6ypg.

We're all familiar with the excuses for the average numbers - poor offensive performance, the slow start, the difficult schedule, etc. But good teams overcome that stuff. The Cardinals had the #5 scoring defense, and they didn't have a QB either. The Chiefs were the #2 scoring defense despite playing Manning and Rivers for 4 games.

To say that they should completely stand pat on that side of the ball is a bit much, IMO.

thehammer

Rookie
Owamagbe Odighizuwa and Preston Smith are elite players....and could easily could replace Long

he is right about Fishers long history of taking de's early

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think so, not IF he play equal to or better than Quinn, and has double digit sacks!! JMO
i dont think he will have double digit sacks or play equal to Quinn. Plus if Donald keeps getting better i think that would make Long expendable and could put a rookie in Longs place. imo no way they pay Long 14 mill next year

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd say just the opposite. Depending up ROOKIES (top 2 selections or otherwise) who may need time to develop (Robinson, Joeckel, Fisher, Warmack, Matthews, Johnson) or may not even develop (Oher, Smith, Cooper, Kalil, Martin, Carimi, Sherrod, etc..) to upgrade the OLine is the much LARGER gamble. And it's not even close. :eek:

The real gamble Memphis (of course in my opinion) is NOT resolving this open oozing wound called the Ram OL unit. You can draft BPA's & field an unbelievable great amount of talent on all other units besides the OL & the Rams will still continue to loose game after game after game....all leading & concluding to another of well over a decade of non winning seasons.No I have never demanded Fisher field FIVE HOF'ers as you have eluded too & posted previous on. However I have posted many times that Nutten's & McCollums,Tuckers Saffold's would do just fine.

This 2015 NFL draft does contain a fair amount of "off the shelf ready" OL prospects. If the Rams want them they will have to get them early not wait as you have suggested till the 3rd & 4th or later rounds.

This OL,..... due to neglect over the the last 3 drafts ( a Fisher self inflicted wound:admin:) is in great need of a few good seasoned OL'ers to insure this seasons fielded OL can be proficient to maintain a decent working offense along with talented youthful rookies to blend in to fully develop. .

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
Randy Gregory could drop because of his mary-jane issue
Would you be mad if they pulled the trigger on him?

Beyond pissed.

The Rams were 16th in points per game allowed, at 22.1ppg. They were also 17th in yards allowed per game, at 351.6ypg.

Yet they only gave up about 13 per game over the final 9 games and that spread even includes that fuckup against the Giants. And those #s were done without significant contribution from Long.